Honored Contributor

Re: DD's lack of weight loss/depression

I have always said, in my opinion, it's more difficult to keep the weight off than it is to loose it.

I've lost lots of pounds over the years but as soon as I stop doing whatever it is, I put the weight right back on way quicker than when I lost it.

In my opinion, it's way more difficult to keep it off than to loose it.

I've also always heard (on Weight Watchers), it's more important to loose the weight more slowly and tailor it to what you do and don't like.  That way you are more likely to stick with it.

Here's an example of how stupid I am.  So years ago I joined Nutrisystem.  I mean to tell you I was loosing weight like crazy in a short period of time.

This was when you met with a counselor and talked with them.  OMG!  Eyes were wide open when asked why each of us wanted to loose weight everyone said, "To get healthier".

When it came to my turn I said, "I have a lot of shoes that I can't get into since I got fat.  I want to be able to wear my beloved shoes!"

Also, again on Nutrisystem, I'd order the hamburgers.  They tasted like leater and I shoved them down my throat, but I lost weight.

Then when I went off of it I started eating regular food....and..you guessed it...I porked out in no time.

My poor husband.  He was so excited on how I looked loosing maybe 35 or 40 pounds.  But the poor man blinked and I was a porker again!''

Good thing he didn't love me for my figure.  Although when he married me I was only 115 lbs.  He gained weight too but because he worked out every day, a lot of his was muscle.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@violann wrote:

HI @Mimi NY ! Although you and I aren't doing exactly the same things, we share a lot of other things that helped us battle our life long food foibles.

My IF "window" is pretty tight- about 21/3, but it seems to work for me. 

I'm interested in your Keto coffee creamer. I've had my morning coffee with plan 1/2 & 1/2, but I try to be open to ways to make my own program even better.  

There CAN be a solution for all of us, no matter how hard we have to look, or how long it takes to find it.

Hi Violann Only to glad  to glad to share like I said I am not doing full Keto,started with the intermittent fasting  but know that with intermittent fasting they recommend black coffee and could never start my day off drinking  black coffee.

At the time I would also try a tiny bit of half & half to get it down.

While doing  channel  surfing saw on  another shopping network they had the Dr.Colbert Keto MCT OIL POWDER and had good reviews and sold out each time,he has since left that network but now  I can find it on EBay, Amazon . I tried 1 jar and was hooked it has been my saviour for morning coffee I learned in doing research  that MCT is the GOOD  FATS ,it takes away my cravings, I'VE never was a sugar in my coffee,but I really have enjoyed the different flavors available and even unflavored made the coffee  just creamy ,this brand did not have to use a frother either to mix,as other brands out there make your coffee clumpy and a lot of mixing.

Will be honest it is an added expense as my husband think I should use the powder coffee creamer from the supermarket,like he does ,no way. But like I said I am eating less and  have no  cravings   and finally  has not failed another weight loss journey.

Especially did not gain during this pandemic and know I would be eating everything if I didn't start my day with this.

Just went back on to add this completly forgot they have a Dutch Chocolate,will have to get  some as last winter used that as hot chocolate during the afternoon or evening was really good even added the scoop   to my morning coffee was like a mocha coffee.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't generally give dieting advice to anyone unless I'm directly asked in my personal life. One of my kids who is overweight and although she complains, it's hard to know how to be "helpful" because there isn't really a secret to it, it's a matter of if you're really ready to and it's such a loaded topic that no matter what you say, it can be received negatively especially if you're depressed already. So I feel for your concern. Nobody wants their children to suffer.
Like others have said, and I'll agree, we aren't completely honest about oureating habits either, for me, it's serving size.
Whaf has kept weight off (I'm not trying to lose, just stay where I'm at)  is intermittent fasting. I started at 14 hours and now I do 16 hours and do a lower carb diet (not keto) which is the max number of hours that is recommended for women, but I agree that she should probably have some panels drawn to see if there might be underlying issues (thyroid, pcos etc)and depression in if of itself can cause weight gain and you can try any "plan" under the sun but if you have those things working against you it's going to be an uphill battle. 

Respected Contributor

@violann @Mimi NY 

Are either of you on IG? I would love to be able to connect with you regarding help with IF, Keto and losing weight. I recently discovered a group called Eat Like a Bear. It's mostly seniors who also use IF and Keto. I've been thinking of trying it but the most successful window seems to be 23/1 and I cant seem to commit to that yet. Thanks @Mimi NY  for the tip about the coffee. That's one of my " so called reasons" for not being able to start. @violann, I also have grands that I would like to be able to do more with. I'm 66. Last summer we took the then 3 year old to an amusement park. The only ride I could get on was a little train and even that was uncomfortable for me. I just can't seem to stay motivated or commit long enough to make a real difference. I could really use some help!☹

@sarahpanda 

I didn't mean to hijack your post. I hope your daughter has success with whatever she chooses. Please let her know that she is not alone. The struggle is real for many of us no matter what the age!😊

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Honored Contributor

@sarahpanda wrote:

@hckynut  DD is in her early 40's.

@sarahpanda 

Has she battled being overweight most of her 40's years?  As one that has been through that, since 12 years old! From my own experiences and attending countless Clinics on Health/Fitness/Nutrition and genetic predisposition, those that fall into this category have more of an uphill battle. 

Does that make it impossible? Absolutely not, and again, I am a testament that one can achieve and maintain their desired weight goals, whatever those goals might be. Is it easy, of course not, as I said previously, overweight since youth equals many more fats cells, some dormant, many active.

In my opinion along with working with over 100 overweight people over the decades, the things I see as negatives? First thing is a "numbers only" scale. Too many become addicted to those scale numbers, and it becomes their downfall.

Another thing is the belief that you have to quit foods you love! That in itself can start one on a downward spiral to giving up on their goals. But!!! Small portions and never on a regular basis.

Goals should be just that, goals, but without a die hard specific time frame. And Short Term Goals work better for most. If one has 100lbs to lose, set a goal of 10lbs, forget the 100, you will eventually get there.

You set a goal/you stay with what you know is working for you, and in time you will reach a small goal. I can compare this to exercises like walking/ jogging and running.Too many make the mistake of getting hooked on the distance covered in X amount of time.

Unless one is training for a race, that is hugely counterproductive.  Either go by distance only, or time spent only. Never get caught up with distance competing against time to cover that distance. It's a road to failure, again  unless competing.

Get "depressed" over lack of succeeding? That should never happen to anyone, everyone fails or has failed at some goal(s). Frustrated I understand, but "depression" is too strong a word.

I strongly doubt that being unhappy with one's loss of weight would pass a "true diagnosis of depression". I know what "diagnosed depression" is from my own  ongoing experience, and that requires professional help. It is doubtful that a lack of weight loss would be the total  source of "diagnosed depression"!

If DD is not sick and has her full mobility? She needs to get her ass up and start moving instead of bemoaning her lack of progress. I don't know, or know of 1 single person that has not gotten stuck or plateaued, at a certain weight, yet they still succeeded in reaching their goal(s).

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I also think it is more difficult in the winter, partly because of the holidays, less exercise, but also seasonal foods.  We don't have the fresh veggies and fruits we tend to eat in the summer but rather more starches and maybe even less fiber.

Trusted Contributor

Everyone’s weight loss journey is different. I kept a journal of all I ate each day. I was eating 1200 clean calories so I wrote it all down. Sometimes people don’t realize everything they are eating but not counting. It adds up. Now I know what 1200 calories looks like. I don’t buy anything I don’t want to eat but if there are others in the house you can’t always do that. If I had snacks or junk food in my house I couldn’t do it. Good luck. 

Esteemed Contributor

The struggle is real.

Recommending Anthony William medical medium life style changes.

Just adding the celery juice in the morning will help her if she does nothing else.

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

I also think it is more difficult in the winter, partly because of the holidays, less exercise, but also seasonal foods.  We don't have the fresh veggies and fruits we tend to eat in the summer but rather more starches and maybe even less fiber.

Now @Sooner  ya know I seldom disagree with you, butttt!  Winter/holidays/seasonal foods? 

A nickel for every time I heard that from many that came to me asking about losing weight over decades.1 short story about a co-worker. His was "I don't have time"! 

Now on the job we were working, we all took 45 minutes for lunch. I told him "I just found you a half hour. Put down you horse racing forms and go for a run around our factory"! I did that many times.

He never asked me about how to lose weight again. Hmmm! Guess I gave him the wrong answer, eh?

hckynut 

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

@Starpolisher wrote:

@violann @Mimi NY 

Are either of you on IG? I would love to be able to connect with you regarding help with IF, Keto and losing weight. I recently discovered a group called Eat Like a Bear. It's mostly seniors who also use IF and Keto. I've been thinking of trying it but the most successful window seems to be 23/1 and I cant seem to commit to that yet. Thanks @Mimi NY  for the tip about the coffee. That's one of my " so called reasons" for not being able to start. @violann, I also have grands that I would like to be able to do more with. I'm 66. Last summer we took the then 3 year old to an amusement park. The only ride I could get on was a little train and even that was uncomfortable for me. I just can't seem to stay motivated or commit long enough to make a real difference. I could really use some help!☹

@sarahpanda 

I didn't mean to hijack your post. I hope your daughter has success with whatever she chooses. Please let her know that she is not alone. The struggle is real for many of us no matter what the age!😊

@Starpolisher 

I see you are under the impression that you have to do intermittent fasting with  23/1  to see results NO WAY ,maybe the longer you are doing like 18/6 you will see you can go longer in your fasting  so you might just have 1 meal before your eating period ends But even with an open window of 8 hours allowing you to eat you will really see you are not that hungry I always tried to break the fast with a smoothie with almond milk and frozen fruit  or even just a good protein bar, one with not much sugar and then a healthy dinner. 

Think the most important part of losing weight is to get cravings under control and some how MCT Oil powder does  that. 

Do some research as there are many brands of MCT out there and lots of information on  intermittent fasting  I finally succeeded  in losing weight and inches probably first time in my life  I didn't fail at it.

One other thing wish I was your age I am older but I look at age is a number and you can't do much about that number but the number on the scale you can do something about that.