Respected Contributor

Re: D-Mannose BRAND recommendation?

Thanks again, @tsavorite. We will both keep plugging away and hopefully things will settle down. I know with how very long this has been going on for me it makes sense it will take time to heal....I hope. I won't go on and on but just want to add a couple more things. I don't want you to think "I wish she would just leave me alone." Ha! 

I have had two of the bladder scopes done in office...one like thirty years ago and one seven years ago. I was scared as I had heard some real horror stories but neither one of them bothered me at all. BUT! This time with the pain I already have I am concerned it won't go so well. 😱 Oh, but I do remember there is some intense pain when you first void after the procedure but it goes away pretty quickly. I will definitely discuss the diagnostic value of it thoroughly with the urologist before he comes at me with that thing. LOL! I'm to the age I can easily balk whereas I once just went along with whatever they said to do.

Keep me posted on your progress and I will try to do the same. People who've not had this don't know how crazy it can make you! I was going even more crazy when I felt like no one could figure out what was wrong and help me. At the risk of really oversharing, there were two different times I had to get cold rags and apply as I didn't know what else to do for the burning. Crazy, I tell ya! 🤪 

All the best to you, @tsavorite! Thanks again.           

Respected Contributor

@pupwhipped  LOL oh YES I know all about the cool packs from my fridge to use there!  They say to treat inflammation with cold so why not!  Heat would be out of the question.

Ya that scope right now is a no go....I did do another awful test with a different Urologist about 10yrs back for the OAB symptoms...they were checking to see  what you could hold and void correctly.  I remember almost screaming in pain when I went on the second time insertion of that catheter hook up.  And yep this one wanted to do the scope next and I NEVER went back to see her.  

I will post to you any updates.....I appreciate you listening and we can encourage each other down this path to healing!

Valued Contributor

Look in Ellura brand of cranberry extract that is research based to work. They also sell D-Mannose I believe. The sugar in D-Mannose gives me a headache. My urologist recommended Ellura brand. 

Valued Contributor

also, get on a very good probiotic especially one for colon health. I take two different brands now, the Phillips colon health one is by my urologist recommendation. I still take the one I normally take. The problem with antibiotics is they strip the intestines of the good bacteria and the bad. I am having what feels like another UTI again and go to the PCP this afternoon. I have more than pain and frequency, I get nauseous and sweaty and just sick feeling. My bacteria counts have all been bad bacteria which take the heavy gun antibiotics which take double does of probiotics to keep from total dumping, if you get my drift. Gynourologist has no openings until tomorrow but I feel sick like I do besides the pain. So I am going to my PCP today, I am angry that the urogynocologist said we can take you if you call before noon with a UTI and this started to be bad late yesterday afternoon. I was kinda clueless at first as it has been many months since the last. I should have known. I do take the urinary pain meds OTC stuff. I am kinda upset as none of the tests showed anything wrong. My bladder was fine in the scoping testing and I am empting it and my female parts just needed the bit of estrogen cream as you all mentioned. I was taking the Ellura and then got an upset stomach from stress and stopped and then totally forgot. Mine started right after my covid vaccines and I make a VAERS report and have had the CDC contact me several times. I don't know that is going on. One doctor told me blood in the urine is on many VAERS reports so don't get a booster. No one knows but doctors tell me just wait. Sorry to vent to you all. 

Honored Contributor

I cannot take D-Mannose.  It doesn't agree with my stomach.

I suffer from recurring UTI's and regular Cranberry supplements don't work for me either.  I found that taking a product that contains Proanthocyanidins is what works for me.  

I have taken Cran-Cap in the past, UTI Don't Think So from Love Wellness and recently switched to Member's Mark Cranberry capsules from Sam's Club that contain the necessary 36mg of procran.

Valued Contributor

I just got another UTI, it has been six months since the last. I am very upset. On an antibiotic and the bacteria was E. Coli this time. I took the two capsules of Ellura as soon as I knew this was a UTI and boy, it seemed to burn and I started peeing with blood. But... it could also be that I waited to get to the doctor because I was busy and it didn't click in what my symptoms were pointing to. I get so sick from these. Am better today. I also purchsed some PH testing strips to try to periodically check my urine. If I had these on last Sunday, I would have gotten to the doctor when the first tiny twinge of pain happened and then went away. And the worst thing perhaps is my gyno-urologist who swore they would always get someone in for an appointment that day with a UTI if you call before noon, well they had no one to see me the day I called. I could wait another day and see the PA. No problem seeing the PA but the pain was so awful and it had been raging two days by then, slowing creeping up. Saw my PCP's NP instead and she was great. Told me glad I didn't wait another day, I could infect my kidneys. I was so sick...

Respected Contributor

@Growing, I am so sorry you are having this painful UTI. Hope the antibiotics will clear it up completely. I know with what I've been going through for the last three months it can become very debilitating. I am going to look into all the products mentioned here by you and others including the Ellura. I am doing better but still not quite right, so to speak. I won't see the urologist till the end of the month but I did go in last week and have a repeat urine culture at my gyn's office. It came back clear. The only supplement I am taking currently is the AZO Complete Women's Balance probiotic. Thought I would wait just a little longer to see what the urologist might recommend for bladder health as far as D-Mannose, Cranberry, etc. But who knows...all he might say is drink more water. HA!   

Hope you continue to feel better! 

Respected Contributor

@pupwhipped @Growing ...I hope you are feeling somewhat better and it is so nice to be able to chat with you ladies about this.  I am struggling along but my symptoms seem to be helped by drinking that marshmallow root tea each day.  It truly helps with the urgency and the burning I have in my urethra.  I am sure the estrogen cream is another factor helping also.  

I have been reading alot over at the IC Network and Inspire IC group.  So much good helpful information and I am getting more concerned that I actually do have IC.  Or this last horrible UTI that took 4 different antibiotics to get rid of absolutely burned my inner lining and needs time to recover.

I am working out a "system" that I hope will help with this.  But from what I have read cranberry truly is not a good idea with IC...it's to acidic.  So I won't be taking that product I bought from Amazon (mentioned earlier in the topic here) I just can't risk a step backwards.

I did look at other products for this condition....CystoRenew, CystoProtek, BladderEase and so on.  I had on hand some of the ingredients so I just ordered a few others to make my own which would be close to CystoRenew.  I will try this out and see how I do instead along with the daily MMRT.  I am hoping and praying that going slowly here and not getting another UTI of course my insides just might heal up.  I won't be doing anything that could bring on a UTI LOL!  For me no intimacy.  I don't feel "normal" but somewhat improved.  I suspect this MMRT is soothing and numbing the inside and hoping it just heals up.

My spouse is having surgery this week and I will wait to reschedule my ultrasound test for another few weeks.  Still not sold on that cytoscopy.  I am too concerned that it will inflame the tissue all over again and set me back....heck possibly worse.  Also after reading about the drugs used for this like Elmiron I am not looking as that as a option.  

Sorry got long here....take care and thanks to all posting on this topic.