Valued Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

I've take Cymbalta specifically for fibro. for several years now, without any negative issues.

30 mg. twice daily (every 12 hours) is the standard dosage for this disease.

It's helped me, but I also do holistic and lifestyle things to help with my various health challenges.

Side effects are individualistic, but you have to weigh the pros and cons.

Do give the efficacy level a few weeks to months, especially since you're starting on a lower dosage and only once a day.

Your body needs to get used any new med. or supplement, and that can take a little while.

As far as discontiunuing it, any drug that affects the central nervous cystem has to be slowly titrated off of so that your body can deal.

HTH  Cat Happy

Your post was quite helpful!  Thanks... Could I ask what holistic and lifestyle changes you (or others)  have made?  I am thinking about yoga classes and I already eat healthy and do not have a weight problem.  I love walking, but it is just too cold outside right now to consider that!  So ready for Spring!!

Valued Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

I took it for 10 days for nerve pain and had one of the classic physical symptoms - I looked like a balloon animal with swelling of the extremities. The doctor's office told me that is one of the side effects that won't improve. I stopped taking it. I was then given a Rx for Lyrica, but after reading up on it, never filled the Rx. It was similar enough that it would likely have affected me the same way, plus the horror stories from people who were using it - I just decided no.

I think these drugs will either be successful in certain people, or a disaster.  Individual, patient by patient. And it depends on how bad one is suffering whether it's worth the try and the potential side effects.

If people are retired or don't work, I think giving it a try would be simpler. I was working a stressful job where I needed to be totally mentally alert at all times, and the more I real about the brain zaps, the more my brain said heck no. And think about driving a car.

My doctor mentioned Lyrica also, but I am more concerned about the risk of that drug than of Cymbalta..  It is sad that the doctors just write out these prescriptions and do not mention side effects or anything else.  At least, that's the way it is with my doctor. I am also working so I am concerned about being able to function, etc.  Maybe that is why she started me out on a low dosage.... 

Valued Contributor

@violann wrote:

I began taking Cymbalta for depression when my mom became a total care candidate.

It seemed to me to be the best option available for mood management. I also took a very low dose.

During the same time period I was experiencing full fledged fibro symptoms, and was subsequently diagnosed.

When I began to feel as though I no longer needed an antidepressant I weaned off Cymbalta, following doctor's recommendations exactly, with NO PROBLEMS.

If your fibro and neuropathy symptoms are significant enough to limit your enjoyment of your lifestyle, I would not hesitate giving this medication a trial.

I was sleeping poorly and many pounds overweight when I began taking it, and these issues did not get worse. 

As I recall, Cymbalta did make me sleepy when I began taking it, but this went away.

If I had thought this med might help me but felt as though I was experiencing negatives, I would have quickly communicated my concern to my MD and tried a smaller dose.

Hope you have good results of you decide to try it.

Thanks so much for your detailed info -- very helpful and takes away some of my concerns!  Not feeling much better, so guess I may give it a try this weekend & hope for the best!!

Trusted Contributor

Every medication has the potential for side effects from mild ones to more serious ones. The problem today is that with the internet, often it is the negatives (about anything not just medications) that are blown out of proportion.  Also, results from medications are different for each person so you can't always go by what has happened with others.  I would discuss your issues with your doctor and/or get a second opinion from a different one.  Then if it were me I would most likely try the drug to see how much relief I got from the symptoms and would go from there.  As with any medication, always follow all of the instructions regarding dosage and withdrawing from the drug.  

Honored Contributor

@jump4joy wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

I took it for 10 days for nerve pain and had one of the classic physical symptoms - I looked like a balloon animal with swelling of the extremities. The doctor's office told me that is one of the side effects that won't improve. I stopped taking it. I was then given a Rx for Lyrica, but after reading up on it, never filled the Rx. It was similar enough that it would likely have affected me the same way, plus the horror stories from people who were using it - I just decided no.

I think these drugs will either be successful in certain people, or a disaster.  Individual, patient by patient. And it depends on how bad one is suffering whether it's worth the try and the potential side effects.

If people are retired or don't work, I think giving it a try would be simpler. I was working a stressful job where I needed to be totally mentally alert at all times, and the more I real about the brain zaps, the more my brain said heck no. And think about driving a car.

My doctor mentioned Lyrica also, but I am more concerned about the risk of that drug than of Cymbalta..  It is sad that the doctors just write out these prescriptions and do not mention side effects or anything else.  At least, that's the way it is with my doctor. I am also working so I am concerned about being able to function, etc.  Maybe that is why she started me out on a low dosage.... 

I think they don't mention side effects because if they do, many people will imagine they have them or be anticipating them - power of suggestion.  But after a lifetime of working in hospitals and with doctors, I always read up on side effects, though usually *after* I might get one, not before.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all