Honored Contributor

Cyclospora infection due to consumption of fresh basil. Here is the CDC’s information.

[ Edited ]

Quoted directly from the CDC’s website:

“LAST UPDATED JULY 25, 2019 4:00 PM EDT

At a Glance
  • Reported laboratory-confirmed cases: 132
  • States: 11; exposures occurred in 4 states
  • Hospitalizations: 4
  • Deaths: 0
  • Recall: No

CDC, public health and regulatory officials in several states, and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) are investigating a multistate outbreak of Cyclospora infections linked to fresh basil from Siga Logistics de RL de CV of Morelos, Mexico.

Advice to Consumers, Restaurants, Retailers, and Suppliers/Distributors

CDC is advising that consumers do not eat or serve any fresh basil from Siga Logistics de RL de CV of Morelos, Mexico. This investigation is ongoing and the advice will be updated when more information is available.

• Consumers who have fresh basil from Siga Logistics de RL de CV of Morelos, Mexico, in their homes should not eat it. Throw the basil away, even if some has been eaten and no one has gotten sick.
    • Do not eat salads or other dishes that include fresh basil from Siga Logistics de RL de CV of Morelos, Mexico. This includes dishes garnished or prepared with fresh basil from Siga Logistics de RL de CV of Morelos, Mexico, such as salads or fresh pesto.
    • If you aren’t sure the fresh basil you bought is from Siga Logistics de RL de CV of Morelos, Mexico, you can ask the place of purchase. When in doubt, don’t eat the fresh basil. Throw it out.
    • Wash and sanitize places where fresh basil was stored: countertops and refrigerator drawers or shelves. Follow these five steps to clean your refrigerator.
Latest Outbreak Information
  • One hundred and thirty-two people with laboratory-confirmed Cyclospora infections and who reported eating fresh basil have been reported from 11 states; exposures occurred at restaurants in 4 states (Florida, Minnesota, New York, and Ohio).
    • Illnesses started on dates ranging from June 14, 2019 to July 9, 2019.
    • Four people have been hospitalized. No deaths attributed to Cyclospora have been reported.”

Honored Contributor

Re: Cyclospora infection due to consumption of fresh basil. Here is the CDC’s information.

@Mindy D @It’s getting so that I feel very daring when I eat food...living on the edge!

Honored Contributor

Re: Cyclospora infection due to consumption of fresh basil. Here is the CDC’s information.

Basil is another leafy green thing...those darn stomata!!

Valued Contributor

Thankfully, we have an herb garden and grow our own. I love the smell of sweet basil, chives, oregano, parsley, etc. 

Respected Contributor

Thank goodness I keep sweet basil plants in my herb garden...After reading this recall, I am thinking about adding cilantro and other herbs to my grow list.  

Honored Contributor

Most herbs are easy and fun to grow.I am not lucky with basil though.I think everyone should try to plant a few in a pot...mine looks really cute all full of happy herbs.

Honored Contributor

@GAQShopr53 @Ruby Laine   Yep we grow our own herbs too including cilantro and a couple of parleys.

Ms GAQ - grow cilantro especially if you like to use it, much more tasty & fragrant too.

Respected Contributor

@PINKdogWOOD wrote:

@GAQShopr53 @Ruby Laine   Yep we grow our own herbs too including cilantro and a couple of parleys.

Ms GAQ - grow cilantro especially if you like to use it, much more tasty & fragrant too.

Thank you @PINKdogWOOD I picked up cilantro seeds today and will plant tomorrow. I use a lot of cilantro in my homemade salsas.