Honored Contributor

Re: Curious if anyone has ever had a doctor simply abandon his/her practice.

My dad had a neurologist who failed to show up at one of his appointments. He left my dad stranded and it turned out he had a nervous breakdown and never returned to practicing medicine again.

I had an oncologist who mid stream taking care of me left her practice because she had burn out and decided to raise her children and be a stay at home mom. She has since returned to her practice. I owe her my life.....she was an excellent surgeon and almost thirty years later I am still here because of her.

I guess physicians are people too and for various reasons need to leave their jobs....

Honored Contributor

I just read that starting July 1, first year resident physicians will now be allowed to work 24 hour hospital shifts, instead of the 16 they were allowed before.

This is scary.  I don't want to go to the ER and have a tired resident treating me at the end of their shift. This is supposed to help patients get better treatment because they won't get handed off to another physician when their shift is over.

This makes no good sense to me. It's just plain dumb.  Humans need sleep and don't think or make good decisions when sleep deprived.

Respected Contributor

Reading this thread has made me feel grateful for my own situation.

My doctor of several years told me last fall that she'd be transitioning to different work within the hospital system. She lined up her replacement and a PA to fill in before the replacement arrives.

I looked into the PA and incoming doctor, and while they had good feedback in the ratings system, they were both too inexperienced for my festival of comorbidities. I used the hospital search tool to locate another GP who works at the clinic I use, who's been practicing for over 20 years. I asked to see her, and am now her patient, looking forward to meeting her and having a physical in June.

Don't overlook the change ahead as an opportunity to improve on your care, even if you're relatively happy with your doctor. I was at a stalemate with my now former doctor over a headache I've had 24/7 since the summer of 2015. She thought it was a sleep apnea headache, and since apnea headaches usually vanish by early afternoon, I did not. (I've been tested and supposedly have minimal apnea, but the sleep clinic was so horrible that I vowed never to return, so no CPAP fitting for me.) I am looking forward to getting to the bottom of the headache with the new doctor. Hopefully I'll also be abe to see a new bone doc with her referral, and get osteoporosis treatment.

Respected Contributor

Rebecca, contact your county medical society.  In most states, a doctor who is retiring/giving up their practice has to  run public notices and send notices, by mail to their patients.

They have to make your records available to you, and if they are closing the office, typically they hire a service who maintains your records.

The doctor is not obligated to tell you why they are suddenly departing: it could be anything from illness to disciplinary measures resulting in loss of license or loss/ suspension of privileges.

Your County Medical Society could give you advice.

Poodlepet2

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have had doctors leave practices.  In some cases I was notified but in some I was not. In a practice with multiple doctors, I was offered another choice when I called for an appointment. The thought never crossed my mind that I should report my former doctor for leaving a practice.

I am the daughter, the wife and mother of doctors.  While I've never doubted  their integrity, I never felt they should be held to a higher standard than any other professional or person. (in general)

Honored Contributor

@sfnative@lulu2@Poodlepet2@noodleann@Carmie

With insurancein fluctuatio and upheaval as it is now, I am thinking we may never again have the same on-going relationships that we were used to having.

It FEELS personal, but it is usually not.

~Have a Kind Heart, Fierce Mind, Brave Spirit~
Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

I just read that starting July 1, first year resident physicians will now be allowed to work 24 hour hospital shifts, instead of the 16 they were allowed before.

This is scary.  I don't want to go to the ER and have a tired resident treating me at the end of their shift. This is supposed to help patients get better treatment because they won't get handed off to another physician when their shift is over.

This makes no good sense to me. It's just plain dumb.  Humans need sleep and don't think or make good decisions when sleep deprived.

This is actually not new at all, but very old practice. I realize some forum members aren't old enough to know how things used to be. The "on 24 hrs" thing was totally standard for many decades, the norm in every teaching hospital nationwide. It was only within the past 15-20 years that the 16 hr shifts went into effect. Now they're ditching them again. LOL the reason they stopped them was poor care and deaths due to half asleep doctors. Only a relatively few years later, the dangerous misdiagnoses and deaths are conveniently buried and now those same sleep-deprived doctors provide better care? LM*O.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Esteemed Contributor

@Pook wrote:

Just because they are doctors does not make them responsible for you.  They are leaving a job - nothing personal - just like when we leave jobs and move on. 

@Pook

My physicians are not "responsible for you [me]."  That's the job of a parent, as we're growing up(!).

I do hold physicians to a higher standard than nearly all other professions, for good reason.  And, it is NOT just like leaving another other job for no reason and no notice.

I've worked nearly my entire career in healthcare, so am most likely seeing this from a different angle than most. 

Honored Contributor

yes

Respected Contributor

Our ophtalmologist just upped and quit about 4 years ago.  He was one year younger than myself and we went to H.S. together.

His office was like a blast from the past with equipment from the 50's, I kid you not!

He never married and when HIPPA law required you to have a handbook submitted, I helped him put it together because I worked in the orthopedic office in the same building.  He told me he would NEVER spend the money to pay for electronic medical records SO....when I got a hand written envelope that he had closed his practice, I was not surprised.

Maybe he figured at 58 years of age and being single, he had enough put away.  That's just my opinion.  I don't know if he is working anywhere.