Esteemed Contributor

Curious if anyone has ever had a doctor simply abandon his/her practice.

Hi Everyone!

I'm curious about this because my Internist went to work at her Internal Medicine group practice on Friday, February 24th and at the end of the day announced that she would not return.

In essence, by doing so, she abandoned her patients.  This included me and my husband.

What, if anything, would you do about this physician?  Would you report this abandonment to state officials?

I'd appreciate your input.  Many thanks in advance.

Rebecca

Contributor

Re: Curious if anyone has ever had a doctor simply abandon his/her practice.

Yes!

I'm going through this now.

Had a nurse practioner as  my primary and I loved her.

Good listener, great health partner, and then...gone!~

I'm now searching to have to find another doc who is open

to a more 'functional medicine" approach that is on my HMO list,

I was miffed at no notice, and I then I've concluded that something

monumental must be going on - best to simply to research a new

doc.

Honored Contributor

I've had this happen to me three times. I was left with the task of finding a new doctor. I don't believe this sort of thing is illegal unless it involves life-threatening circumstances. Mine wasn't.

Valued Contributor

I am sorry this happened to you.  Could you be taking this too personally?  There is nothing to report here.  Perhaps there was something going on in the doctor's personal life.  Maybe he/she got another job and the practice walked him out.  

Honored Contributor

A couple of years ago, my primary care doc (whom I adored) had to leave suddenly due to a serious illness issue with her husband.  She had hoped to return after a time, but was unable to do so because of his health.  Fortunately, there was another doctor plus a nurse practitioner in the same practice.  I merely transitioned over to the NP and have been very happy with her.  I still miss my original doc, but I understand her situation completely.

Honored Contributor

I think it is nice when this situation is known ahead of time, like a retirement, or moving to a new job to let the patient know. This gives you an opportunity to find a new physician. The medical center that I worked for, and use as a patient  informs you ahead of time if there is to be a change.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Contributor

I was seeing a psychiatrist for post pardum depression, that had her own practice. I saw her for about  6 months and liked her. Trying to see someone in this field is very difficult, with lots of need and to few doctors. A week after a visit I received a letter saying her patients could now see xyz and our files has already been transferred. I later found out she had cancer and decided to retire.

There are several reasons one might stop seeing patients. I assume my doctor had known about her health issue and had said nothing to her patients about potentially taking sometime off/leaving. It is inconvenient for all of us when something happens, but they have lives outside of the office and have issues to deal with also. I don't think you should automatically report them. They are professionals, and I would hope they act like professionals.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

The doctor who had been treating my mother for over 30 years sent a letter to all his patients giving 2 weeks' notice that he was closing his practice. No transition, nothing. Just "make sure you have enough prescriptions for awhile" and "set up an appointment within the next week if you need anything."

His practice was primarily geriatric, so all those elderly patients with health issues were left in the lurch.

Well, the other day I ran into his wife (formerly his office nurse) working as a receptionist at a brand sparkly new assisted living community, and she told me that her doctor husband was now serving 3 assisted living communities! I flat out told the director of that assisted living community that my mother would never live there as long as that doctor was around!

Super Contributor

@sfnative Why did she just up and leave the practice? We had a case in which one of the partners was observed groping female patients..the practice ended up closing..it went to trial..he was not allowed to practice for quite sometime..but can practice again..only on males..not allowed to see female patients.

Honored Contributor

Just because someone is working in a medical practice doesn't mean they can't quit their job for any reason,

Now, if she left you bleeding and ran out without helping, you would have something to report. The state officials would probably laugh at you if you tried to report her for quitting without notice.

Just move on and find another doctor.  Over the past few years, many doctors are leaving the practice and no longer seeing patients for many reasons.

I had to find a new doctor twice in the last five years. She did not abandon you, she just moved on with her life for whatever reason.