Honored Contributor

Cupping......Anyone had this done?  From what I 'understand' it is good for you and helps promote your metabolism.

Respected Contributor

I've had it done several times for circulation.  Not sure how much benefit I felt.

Honored Contributor

have only seen it done for those who are ill.....have never wanted to try it myself.

it is an old treatment method in my culture.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Esteemed Contributor

My Naturopath offers this service but I haven't tried it.

It benefits circulation not sure about metabolism? Michael Phelps popularized it for pain relief/ sore muscles a few years ago.

There are YT videos for the curious.

Honored Contributor

Have not had the cupping done, but massage and adjustments are a wonderful thing. I had quite a few weeks of physical therapy which included massage and adjustments the winter before last. I have not been ill since.

Honored Contributor

😳😳😳😳

Ohhhhhhhhhhh...you mean in traditional medicine.

Whew. 

Reading the title, I thought this thread was going in a different direction....

Honored Contributor

I've never had it done but have read it removes toxins and fats from the body, something like that. It also relieves pain.

Esteemed Contributor

I had it done at a couple of my therapy sessions after my knee replacement. It was supposed to break up and pull away the scar tissue. No clue if it did anything or it was just a way to bill the insurance company for more money. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  My physical therapist has done cupping on my knees, but it is very different from a massage.  I don't see how it can help metabolism.  Personally, I would choose the massage.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Trusted Contributor

Re: Cupping via a massage

[ Edited ]

I get it occasionally when my shoulders seize up. It is amazing and detoxing, too. I have to keep hydrating after a session because I'm up peeing half the night.

If you haven't had it, ask the therapist to start gently. You'll feel a little beat up the next day, and have marks from it.

There are two kinds - one where the therapist takes all these little glass jars, candles inside of them and applies them while there's still smoke in the jar. Your flesh gets sucked up into them for the duration. Usually acupuncturists do this version.

The cupping massage uses a suction cup sort of device and they glide it along and then leave it when suction is established. I have had both. The latter is more massage like. Both are very effective for muscle spasms.