Respected Contributor

Yes thanks for clarifying.  I tend to interchange hip, rear, thigh and that is not accurate.  You are correct- the CDC approves the vaccine in the deltoid muscle of the arm or the vastus lateralis muscle of the thigh.  I am sure I am not the only person not able to get this in the deltoid.  So let's hope they will accommodate me at my appointment in a few weeks!

Respected Contributor

Re: Covid vaccine in hip

[ Edited ]

@bargainsgirl wrote:

Has anyone gotten the vaccine in the hip rather than arm?  As a breast cancer survivor I cannot get it in one arm and the other I had a condition called SIRVA after my flu shot back in October.  Hestitant to use that arm again since it is not 100% back to normal.

If so, can you tell me WHERE you got it?  Pharmacies cannot.  I have made more phone calls and checked with my doctors and no one has an answer!  I am sure I am not the only one!

This vaccine has to go into a muscle.  I give myself my MS injections (Avonex) in my middle part of my thighs.   There are muscles in this part of the body.   In the hip, I'm not sure.   Ask the nurse when you go in for the vaccine.

@bargainsgirl 

Honored Contributor

Hip shots are generally not used for vaccines, which usually require injection in a muscle

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

Now that you mention it,......

You know, when they show those mega vaccine clinics on the local news (N/E temps), you see a lot of femals in varioius forms of "top" undress getting their shot.  It looks as if they all were wearing "long" sleeves tops or sweatshirts.

The males you see most are wearing "short sleeve" tops.

@Mz iMac 

I had to laugh. Took my mother for vaccine shot 1 and 2.  Both times she wore a long sleeve top with a sweater over it, then a coat.  Shot 1, I told her to wear short sleeve top to make it easy.  The nurse pulled the neck of her shirt and sweater over her shoulder.  Luckily it was wide enough to do. Removing layers would have been a disaster. 😊

Honored Contributor

If my Dr couldn't tell me, I think I'd call the location where they are giving the shots.  Or the state department handling the vaccine rollout.

Occasional Contributor

@bargainsgirl  I have minor lymphedema on both sides from breast cancer and lymph node removal.  So I am also trying to find out somewhere to get the Covid vaccine in my thigh.  

I did write to Dr. Fauchi and was told to contact my gp.  I also saw my allergist, and my oncologist.  No one really knew what to tell me. Their suggestion to use my better arm wasn't a risk I was willing to take.  

I did decide to go to a vaccine mass clinic and talked to one of the student nurses and was told to ask for a RN when I arrive.  If you have a chance to scout out ahead of time and ask to speak with someone in advance like I did, it might help speed the process up for you.  

best of luck... it is challenging!  

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@bargainsgirl  

CHINA / SOCIETY
Buttocks injection would not affect efficacy of COVID-19 vaccines: experts:

https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202101/1214201.shtml

@SeaMaiden, no one has said or implied that using a site in the hip would affect the efficacy of a vaccine.  And the article you cite here actually discusses that.  However, techinically in the United States the only 2 sites approved are the arm and thigh. Doesn't mean the hip can't be used in some cases.  However, for the covid-19 vaccine if I had to make a choice, I would use the thigh before using the hip.

For those that have posted that it can't be given in the hip because it needs to go into the muscle, there are actually  sites in the hip that can be and are  used for intramuscular injection. 

First and foremost the reason I would not suggest the hip site for this covid-19 injection is from the side effect of soreness at the injection site which is very common with both influenza vaccines and so far the mRNA vaccines for covid-19.  

For soreness at the site we tell you to exercise that arm.  Using that arm contracts the muscle fibers which helps increase blood supply and blood return from the muscle.  That helps absorb some of the injectate and also improves circulation to the site to get various components carried by blood to the site and to carry necessary debris away from the injection site.

Fairly easy to exercise the arm or the leg to increase circulation.  Pretty difficult to excercise just a hip muscle to do the same thing. Additionally, some have a localized reaction of swelling and redness at the injection site.  That is pretty manageable if it is the arm or leg.  Swelling and local discomfort would be less manageable if it is in the hip, especially when sitting.   Not to mention that if you need to monitor the circle of redness & area of swelling, it is easier to monitor in the arm or leg rather than having to pull your pants down  and find a mirror to monitor the area of redness or swelling if it is in the hip. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Trusted Contributor

@pitdakota what about needle size for adults with very slender arms.  I know that smaller needles are used for kids.  One time a long time ago when getting a flu shot I was experiencing pain like a burning sensation the entire time the needle was in my arm.  Never had another flu shot since then.  I hope I do not have the same experience plus still would like to know what happened.  

Trusted Contributor

@pitdakota Also, me and my husband are still unable to find appts for shot #1 anywhere.  We are in the 65 - 69 bracket.  Meanwhile fresh stock arrived here and was sent to the Mexican Consulate with a no questions asked policy of the people there...

I do not begrudge anyone.  We just want the same consideration and opportunity to get vaccinated which so far has alluded us.  

Respected Contributor

@agb80, needle length and gauge will be determined by the vaccinator.  They should know how to accommodate for various sizes, some with slender arms. those with more muscle development, and those that just have larger arms.  Actually, nurses are very well trained in this area...can't speak for pharmacists though. 

As far as it burning, that is an effect of what is being injected.  Some solutions burn and sting more than others.  

One thing I have passed along to my grandson as well as many others that just tend to have difficulty with shots is to stop over thinking it.  Don't tense up, that actually makes it worse.  Needle going into a tense muscle hurts worse than going through a relaxed muscle.  He has had several vaccinations since then and swears by it.

If you get yourself worked up in a stew before the vaccination, you are just not doing yourself any favors and actually making the injection experience worse.  Relax, look away, and don't think about it. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *