Valued Contributor

It also depends on the test he had done. Those rapid tests have a high false negative rate. I had an ER doctor tell me if you test positive on the rapid test it is probably correct but if you test negative on the rapid test, it could be a false negative so wait for the longer test result to come back. 

Honored Contributor

@happycat -

"What is the best time to get tested for COVID-19 for the most accurate results?

"Evidence suggests that testing tends to be less accurate within three days of exposure, and the best time to get tested is five to seven days after you were exposed. Tests are even more accurate when patients are exhibiting symptoms.
Dec 17, 2020"

-Google

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@happycat.  I did a thread a few weeks ago with a chart with the info you need.  I was just able to locate it.

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Wellness/Good-Information/td-p/6686942

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I would say if he doesn't get it within the next few days he probably won't get it. I say this because some of our family members had it. Best wishes to your dad.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you, @Kachina624. That is very good information. 

Esteemed Contributor

@colliemom4 wrote:

I would say if he doesn't get it within the next few days he probably won't get it. I say this because some of our family members had it. Best wishes to your dad.

Thank you, @colliemom4  for the well wishes. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Covid timeline question

[ Edited ]

@happycat 

My husband was exposed at work and was SICK within 3 days.  Tested Positive

He then unknowingly exposed our family and everyone but me was SICK within 3 days.  They all tested positive.

None of us are Doctor's but in my families experience...they were all sick within 3 days.

Everyone I know that has had Covid, were sick within that time frame from exposure.

I would lay odds your Dad is okay. I never developed symptoms, had 2 Negative rapid tests which were accurate.

To clarify, if you are positive and sick, the CDC recommends a 10 day quarantine.

If you have had DIRECT exposure to a positive case, you must quarantine for 14 days even with a negative test to be SURE you will not come down with it.

Esteemed Contributor

I hope you family has recovered now, @RespectLife. Glad you didn't get it, its interesting to me that some of us don't contract it even being exposed. 

My dad is quarantining although he doesn't know if the Dr. had it when he saw daddy. Not worth taking a chance and exposing anyone. I'm just praying he doesn't get it. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It seems like there is no 'normal' pattern for this virus. Sounds like maybe these are questions your father might ask when contacted with the results of his test. When in doubt, the 14 day isolation certainly can't hurt. Wishing him the best.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My DH had to quarantine over the holidays due to direct exposure.  We had to contact our local health department regarding quarantine and they told him that the biggest days they are seeing someone become ill are days 5, 6 and 7 after exposure.  They said if you don't have any symptoms by day 7, there is over a 97% chance you will not become ill.   

We found out on the weekend that he was exposed so I contacted the Ohio Department of Health and I went to the CDC website.  Both indicated that your local health department makes the final determination as to quarantine based on what is going on in your area and other factors.  Because my husband cannot social distance at work, they told him he needed to quarantine for the full 14 days.  Otherwise he could have gone back after 10 days.