Trusted Contributor

Re: Covid Vaccine After Having Covid News

Thank you for sharing this news.  There has been buzz about this in the school where I teach.  Many of us have received both doses of the vaccine in recent weeks.  Some of us got sick afterwards, while others did not.  It has been said that those who got sick after the vaccines were sick because they probably either had Covid or had been exposed to Covid in the past.

I was one of the people who got sick with my vaccines.  The first dose gave me extreme arm pain (I couldn't really move my arm for almost three days), chills, and sweats.  I also had neck pain the next day.

The second shot kept me home from work.  No arm pain, but bodyaches from head to ankles (no foot pain), a headache that wrapped around my head, swollen lymph nodes, and a low-grade fever (100.7).  I took it easy the next day and was completely back to normal within 48 hours.  It probably sounds worse than it was, but it still wasn't pleasant.

With all of the side effects I had, it does make me wonder if I had Covid at some point and was just asymptomatic.  I know I have been exposed to it countless times within my own classroom, so I guess it's very possible. That also makes me wonder if my family has had it as well.  My husband is not yet eligible for the vaccine, so we will wait and see what happens with him.  

Most elementary schools on Long Island have been open full time since September.  I can only imagine how many of us have been in those buildings with Covid and never really knew it. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@on the bay   I remember being told (years ago) to do arm rotations with any shot in a muscle. Sooo, I've always done it and have NEVER had a reaction to any shot! I'm a believer in those simple arm rotations.

And, no, I don't rub my arm at all or take aspirin (or anything else) ever. Good, normal exercise works for me every time. But I do that every day anyway.  

Sorry for your pain. Next time, just try the simple arm rotations for a couple of minutes. Perhaps you overdid it? IDK. 

ETA: I always drink lots of water and am well hydrated. Could that be a difference in us? 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Trusted Contributor

@JanetsGirl wrote:

UPDATE:  The news agencies are reporting that on the Sunday morning talk shows today 2/21/21 Dr. Fauci stated that the CDC is considering the studies that only one dose of the vaccine is needed for those who already had Covid.  So, continue to watch this topic if you had Covid.

For example, the NYP this morning reported:

Dr. Anthony Fauci on Sunday said officials are looking into the possibility of giving only one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine to people who had already been infected with the virus.

The Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases said data from administering a single shot to virus survivors is “really quite impressive.”

@JanetsGirl more flip flopping from Dr Fauci who adamantly said no just recently, everyone needed two doses despite what other epidemiologists were reporting.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've recently had covid and asked my doc if I can still get the vaccine.  She told me I should wait 60 days.

Jessa
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@agb80 wrote:

@JanetsGirl wrote:

UPDATE:  The news agencies are reporting that on the Sunday morning talk shows today 2/21/21 Dr. Fauci stated that the CDC is considering the studies that only one dose of the vaccine is needed for those who already had Covid.  So, continue to watch this topic if you had Covid.

For example, the NYP this morning reported:

Dr. Anthony Fauci on Sunday said officials are looking into the possibility of giving only one dose of the COVID-19 vaccine to people who had already been infected with the virus.

The Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases said data from administering a single shot to virus survivors is “really quite impressive.”

@JanetsGirl more flip flopping from Dr Fauci who adamantly said no just recently, everyone needed two doses despite what other epidemiologists were reporting.  

@agb80, this isn't flip flopping but talking about what the data at any one given point in time might reveal that needs to be evaluated and looking for scientific evidence to support any decision.   

There is  data  showing a very impressive immune response to the first dose of the mRNA vaccine, so that in theory someone who has contracted Covid-19 might do well with just one vaccination.  However, they don't have the data to support that recommendation yet so sticking with the recommendation for 2 doses in the meantime is not flip flopping.  

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

@on the bay wrote:

@JanetsGirl -

That's good to be aware of. Thanks for this. New information coming in every day!

I wonder if they will have any recommendations as to how long maybe to wait to get the vaccine after covd. For now, they just say go and get it.

@on the bay Which is why I am not getting it until later. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner  @Onthebay

90 days is the recommendation.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pitdakota yes so we have been told from day 1.  My questioning of him is due to other epidemiologists already stating that one shot is all that is needed if you already had covid19. So what would our thinking be if they were in charge instead of him?  Who would be the outlier then??  

Respected Contributor

@agb80 wrote:

@pitdakota yes so we have been told from day 1.  My questioning of him is due to other epidemiologists already stating that one shot is all that is needed if you already had covid19. So what would our thinking be if they were in charge instead of him?  Who would be the outlier then??  

@agb80, lots of things.  For one, there are the different variants and subsequent reinfections of those individuals with variants and how effective certain vaccines are in protecting against the different variants.  

There have been cases of individuals actually contracting covid-19 twice with the second documented reinfection caused by either the UK or South African variant.  This of course lends questions as to whether that person became infected due to waning immunity on their own or if they contracted the virus because the antibodies they had were not abe to protect them enough from the new variant.

They are currently evaluating the efficacy of the mRNA vaccines with both of these variants and I would wager until they have more specific information in those areas, they would be hard pressed to change the strategy laid out of vaccination at this time. 

One of the problems we face with such widespread community transmission that has been rampant across the country for all those months last year.  The virus just continues to mutate which certainly causes issues and muddies the whole situation and adds all kinds of questions and problems when trying to evaluate data.

In the meantime, they have their data to support 2 dose vaccinations and not enough data to support changing recommendations for those that have contracted covid-19 yet so it would probably not be the best move until they have more data.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Trusted Contributor

@pitdakotayes, it's extremely scary yet there are still those who are stating in print and in the news that by April we will have herd immunity and life can start to resemble what it was before.  How can that be true?  I certainly don't believe one word of it but many do.  People went into Krogers yesterday with a megaphone screaming to take off our face masks....that it was time.  People everywhere are refusing to wear one after they've gained admittance into a business that requires it and just taking it off. We will wear one everyday for however long it takes....but this certainly wasn't what we were looking forward to in our retirement which began in Feb of last year.