Super Contributor

Well, my hubby and I finally got Covid after dodging it all this time. His PA told him to quarantine 5 days after the symptoms started, then mask for 2 days. My Dr. said quarantine 5 days after the symptoms started, then mask for 5 days. Everyone says differently, how do we know what is correct?

Honored Contributor

My doctor recommends 5 days of quarantine, then 5 days of masking. 

Respected Contributor

I would quarantine the length of time both drs suggested and stay masked as long as you feel comfortable wearing one....definitely more than two days. I would make sure to find a good mask so it will actually offer some protection. Sounds like you both have a mild case if both drs feel five days of quarantine is adequate. I know the new Omicron variant is said to be highly contagious,is not dissuaded by the vaccines or boosters, but not as severe...effects the head with congestion rather than the lungs, which is a good thing I guess. Don't know which version you and your hubby have, but  I hope you both feel better soon. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Covid Quarantine Length

[ Edited ]

@nanny24 

The quarantine length was the same amount time; the only variance in the instructions was how long to wear a mask.  

Depending on your lifestyle as to how often you are out and about, where you go, who you come in frequent contact with, such as children and older adults, you should be able to determine how long you need to wear a mask when out of your home.  What's correct is based on your personal routine.

In my situation, I am around my 88 year old mother and immunocompromised husband, so masking would be important to me.   

Honored Contributor

I wear a mask every time I go to a public place.  Not only is a protection against Covid but also flu (rampant in my area) and colds.  I don't need any of these things in my life.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Trailrun23 wrote:

I would quarantine the length of time both drs suggested and stay masked as long as you feel comfortable wearing one....definitely more than two days. I would make sure to find a good mask so it will actually offer some protection. Sounds like you both have a mild case if both drs feel five days of quarantine is adequate. I know the new Omicron variant is said to be highly contagious,is not dissuaded by the vaccines or boosters, but not as severe...effects the head with congestion rather than the lungs, which is a good thing I guess. Don't know which version you and your hubby have, but  I hope you both feel better soon. 

If those are the symptoms, I'll never know if I get it.  I wake up congested every morning. 

Respected Contributor

Just saw on the national news that the flu season was close to an end...I know plenty of people who have had what they think is the flu, but don't know if they were tested for it. The symptoms of the latest variant are head congestion rather than cough and lung problems. I guess fever and/ or body aches might be the difference as far as symptoms go. I had a flu shot as I do each year so have made it through the flu season I suppose, unscathed. 

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624  Same for me with the mask!  Besides, it's not only for me but more so for my daughter who lives with me.  She has a seizure disorder and is a type 1 diabetic.  She also wears a mask every time she's in a public place.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Honored Contributor

@Trailrun23 

Flu season in WV runs from October thru April; our peak is from Thanksgiving thru March.  This is why the local hospital always vaccinated employees by mid October.  

Right now our flu numbers are 2-3x as high as our Covid numbers, altho those numbers are increasing steadily after the holidays.    

Honored Contributor

@nanny24 wrote:

Everyone says differently, how do we know what is correct?

@nanny24   Why didn't you ask/question your doctor why the difference?

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif