Esteemed Contributor

Re: Covid-19 When Did It Really Start

@SilleeMeeOf course the test is not perfect.  I think at first the government required 2 negative tests to take people coming from abroad out of quarantine.  Once they accepted the virus is commonplace in the States, they just told people to stay home.  

Honored Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe 

I haven't been able to find the data reported to the CDC regarding false negatives nor have I been able to find the accuracy data of the test itself. I've been looking for it for at least a week now.Woman Frustrated

Respected Contributor

@NYCLatinaMe wrote:

@Isobel Archer I sure don't understand your point.  We know influenza and how to address it.  Covid-19 appears to have been born in Nov  2019, and has overwhelmed the world's health care systems and we haven't figure out a way to control it other than isolation.  But the human is not designed to live in isolation.

My point is numbers.

If we "know how to address and treat flu" then why did 80,000 people die of it last year.

Everyone keeps minimizing flu and saying this is sooooooo much worse.  Well i it is, certainly many magnitudes less are dying from it so why is that?

Esteemed Contributor

Hi @SilleeMee it looks like they haven't assessed the accuracy of the testing:

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/coronavirus-testing#accuracy

It must have passed some standard of accuracy because some tests have been rejected, but we don't know what it is.  Surprised to read that "The accuracy of similar tests for influenza is generally 50–70%." That seems very low to me.  That is probably why there is a reduced focus on testing and an emphasis on symptoms.  As I am sure you've heard, officials state that most people experience mild symptoms and to stay home if possible, since there is no cure.  I bought some tylenol for in case I develop a fever.  I am not sick and have no symptoms, but i do go out to shop about once a week, get mail and packages and live in an aprtment building, so I have to assume I can get sick.  Wash my hands as soon as I get in.  Not clear that paper and cardboard can transmit the virus.  wish i had sanitizing wipes.

Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Isobel Archer there is no cure for the flu, or for covid-19.  If our bodies heal, they heal on their own.  We have a flu vaccine that prevents it or reduces the symptoms, none for covid-19.  We have cancer cures and people die of cancer.  We rely on our bodies immune system to cure most health issues.  If you have a cut on the skin and do nothing, it may heal on its own. The people that die of the flu typically have other health issues or are elderly, and their systems don't have the strength to fight the virus.  My understanding is that covid-19 patients die because they can't breathe.   The human body is not designed to last forever, and all of us will go.

I don't think anyone is minimizing the flu.  Covid-19 is spreading faster than the flu, and appears to have a higher mortality rate.  We can't reallly compare the 2 because we only have a few months of data for covid-19, and there is so much we don't know.

If you lost someone to the flu, my deepest sympathies.

Honored Contributor

Thought this was interesting.

Someone posted on Facebook a Public Notice that was put in a Canadian newspaper in Kelowna, B.C., on Thursday, November 7, 1918.

Notice is hereby given that, in order to prevent the spread of Spanish Influenza, all Schools, public and private Churches, Theaters, Moving Picture Halls, Pool Rooms, and other places of amustement, and Lodge meetings, are to be closed until further notice. All public gatherings consisting of ten or more are prohibited. D.W. Sutherland, Mayor.

Evidently it was an order that went into effect on October 19, 1918.

Respected Contributor

First paragraph from this Wall Street Journal report: China has had this specific coronavirus in its Wuhan lab for 7-years.

The Bats Behind the Pandemic: From Ebola to Covid-19, many of the deadliest viruses to emerge in recent years have the same animal source.

RaTG13 is the name, rank and serial number of an individual horseshoe bat of the species Rhinolophus affinis, or rather of a sample of its feces collected in 2013 in a cave in Yunnan, China. The sample was collected by hazmat-clad scientists from the Institute of Virology in Wuhan that year. Stored away and forgotten until January this year, the sample from the horseshoe bat contains the virus that causes Covid-19.

`~ wsj

Respected Contributor

For those that are interested in research science based articles, the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) has published an article about the genome sequencing of the SARS-CoV-2 (otherwise known as the 2019 novel coronavirus) genome.

Very interesting data.  And no, the virus did not come from a lab.  But they have identified 3 different strains, which they have labeled A, B, and C.  

The research identifies the strain that has impacted the New York area came from Europe.

Here is a link to the article for those interested:

https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2020/04/07/2004999117 

2 other groups also typed the genome and arrived at the same conclusion independently:

1. The Genome Technology Center at NYU Langone Health

2. Ichan School of Medicine at Mt. Sinai

If anyone is interested in reading about their work, you can google those groups and read the information.

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@MorningLover wrote:

First paragraph from this Wall Street Journal report: China has had this specificcoronaviruss in its Wuhan lab for 7-years.

The Bats Behind the Pandemic: From Ebola toCovidd-19, many of the deadliest viruses to emerge in recent years have the same animal source.

RaTG133 is the name, rank and serial number of an individual horseshoe bat of the speciesRhinolophussaffiniss, or rather of a sample of its feces collected in 2013 in a cave in Yunnan, China. The sample was collected byhazmatt-clad scientists from the Institute of Virology in Wuhan that year. Stored away and forgotten until January this year, the sample from the horseshoe bat contains the virus that causesCovidd-19.

`~wsjj

Husband was reading this to me this morning....I have always believed it was something that the Chinese Gov had in that lab....and it got out so to speak.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pitdakota wrote:

For those that are interested in research science based articles, the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) has published an article about the genome sequencing of the SARS-CoV-2 (otherwise known as the 2019 novel coronavirus) genome.

Very interesting data. 

And no, the virus did not come from a lab. 

But they have identified 3 different strains, which they have labeled A, B, and C.  

The research identifies the strain that has impacted the New York area came from Europe.

Here is a link to the article for those interested:

https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2020/04/07/2004999117 

2 other groups also typed the genome and arrived at the same conclusion independently:

1. The Genome Technology Center at NYU Langone Health

2. Ichan School of Medicine at Mt. Sinai

If anyone is interested in reading about their work, you can google those groups and read the information.

Thank you, @pitdakota.  I appreciate your sharing your insight, experience and expertise with us, particularly in the face of the spread of so much misinterpretation and misinformation.   You're a treasure.❤️

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova