Respected Contributor

Re: Covid-19 When Did It Really Start

@SilleeMee wrote:

I wonder if after the numbers start going down if the people who got infected could get it again? I also wonder if we stop the social distancing when things appear okay, if there could be another spike in the number of cases?

That's exactly what they're predicting will happen in China and people start to come out of quarantine. They're also predicting more large waves in the fall or winter and that it could be the new normal until a vaccine is widely available.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I wonder if after the numbers start going down if the people who got infected could get it again? I also wonder if we stop the social distancing when things appear okay, if there could be another spike in the number of cases?

@SilleeMee 

I just read this morning that this is now happening in mainland China and Hong Kong.  As they loosened the restrictions, cases have gone up about a week later.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SilleeMee 

I just read this morning that this is now happening in mainland China and Hong Kong.  As they loosened the restrictions, cases have gone up about a week later.

Oh no! My fears may have come true.Woman Sad @shoesnbags 

Honored Contributor

Here is WA state-Ii have heard and read that it was going around for months here, before it got a foot hold--a few nursing homes had many upper respiratory infections among the residents that were puzzling--my DD, DS and hubs all were sick a few months ago too--all had similar symptoms to covid 19, especially my DS who had the lungs affected--all said it was just a weird "cold" weird being the operative word here--I never got sick tho----seems like the powers that be knew of it or at least the possiblilty of it,  but decided it didn't fit into their wheelhouse and if you don't acknowlege it, it won't happen--sound familiar?? 

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

===

@SilleeMee my thoughts exactly. How on earth can there be talk of having the Olympics? If we spend all this money and manpower (woman power too) and get it controlled, I fear it could spike all over again at the Olympics. Now my concerns may be off base, but as it stands, I'd like to see them cancelled.

Esteemed Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

My understanding is that the idea for the social distance is to slow the spreading so as not to overwhelm the health care system, which is what happened in Italy, and is causing a lot of deaths. Social distance slows the pace at which people get sick.  That is what flattening the curve means, so lots of people will be sick for a long time, but not all the people at the same time.  NY Governor Cuomo states he sees waves, not a curve, and I am thinking this is what you are describing, @SilleeMee 

Esteemed Contributor

My understanding is that the signature symptom of COVID-19 is difficulty breathing.  So if you werent out of breath, you didn't have it.

China claims the coronavirus didn’t exist until Dec. 31, but apparently the first case in China was Nov 19.  The first case diagnosed in the states was in mid January 2020, a fellow in Washington state that came from China.  So a November 2019 pneumonia is unlikely to have been covid-19 unless you were in China.

Honored Contributor

The unknown in China is whether they will have new outbreaks as things reopen and people travel again. Many epidemiologists believe so. Same will happen here unfortunately. It’s going to be an ongoing issue, in waves in different places, until there is a reliable vaccine.
Respected Contributor

I wonder too.  I know several people who had what they thought was severe flu back in Dec/early Jan - aches, cough, fever - didn't progress to respiratory issues thankfully.

So I really wonder about the total cases - and thus the death rate.

The Washington Post had an article on Sun talking about the shortage of proective equipment and testing issues and in it, they said that hospitals were just assuming anyone who presented with symptoms "had it" and if hospitalized, they didn't test them.

So now I wonder if regular flu deaths are being counted in the mix.    And we certainly know that the numbers for death by regular flu are very high - 22,000 to 55,000 so far.

I really don't know what to think.  Is this worse than flu?  Is it mistaken for flu?  Is flu mistaken now for the virus?  Do we really know what is going on?

Honored Contributor

I saw a interview with nurses that worked at the nursing home in Washington state ,where so many patients died, they said they saw  red eyes, on many of them,that got this,first sign they said.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.