Valued Contributor

Re: Could taking vitamin D help me with my depression?

You might want to investigate an Ott Light that you can sit in front of for an hour or more each day it is gloomy.  Ott lights simulate sunshine.

Honored Contributor

@Sue98 wrote:
I have posted about it before, but I live for bright sunny days. I love them! I am truly a better person on sunny days. Unfortunately, sunny days are few and far between where I live. I suffer from depression, and dark, cloudy, gloomy days affect me terribly. The difference a sunny day vs. a gloomy day makes in my mental state is almost unbelievable. I hate feeling like I do, and I really do try to fight through the gloomy days, but if you know anything about depression, it simply isn’t that easy. Is it possible that taking vitamin D supplements may help me with my depression? Any recommendations? Dosage? Brands? Personal experiences? Thanks!

@Sue98

I know for sure D supplements help my mood, but I wouldn't give you any dosages or recommendations since you'll want to get your D levels checked first.

From what you described, you seem to have made a good connection, but first get the levels checked.  It's a simple blood test you'll want to have taken both before and after you take any supplements so you and your doctor will be able to tell if you're absorbing them.  

In the meantime, Woman Happy  Heart

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

@x Hedge and @Sue98

I too was going to suggest SAD - a neighbor of mine suffered through this each winter and now uses light therapy.  I don't know much about it, but the mention of gloomy vs sunny days made me think of SAD (seasonal affective disorder)

I think many of us feel slight effects of gloomy days, but not to any extent.

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 This is the "Wellness" section. 

Honored Contributor

@TX-starlight wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 This is the "Wellness" section. 

@TX-starlight

I can see that.   This was originally posted in Community Chat and I alerted the Mods that this was in the wrong section.  They moved it.

Respected Contributor

It might..... My doc finally tested me a few years ago... My level was a SIX (6).......... he scolded me or ? Not sure what his lecture was about....made me depressed....lol......  Smiley Very Happy

Said he only had 6 patients in his entire life be so low.... I am now at a "26". It DID help me with joint pain back then, big time. 

Our bodies change ie age / life / health / DNA / genes / etc. etc..... so is best to ask your doctor. Each person is unique

Good luck. 

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Honored Contributor

@Sue98

When were you diagnosed with depression? I would think that that doctor would have given you the necessary treatments for depression. No, each person's depression does not respond to the same treatment(s), that is up to you Psychiatrist or Psychologist to decide.

On your next visit, or call them, ask the same question you posed in the title to your thread here. 

I take Vitamin D 2,000 mg daily, but it has nothing to do with my diagnosis made years ago. I spent 7+ days in a Mental Ward at our hospital. I was diagnosed with Clinical Depression and Anxiety/Panic Disorder.

I see my professional regularly every 3-6 months, and have been on meds since my diagnosis. Weather changes (sun or no sun) had/have nothing to do with my Clinical Depression Diagnosis, it's an imbalance of chemicals in the brain.

I see it the same as I see my alcoholism, never cured, but under control. Some days are better than others, but most every day for me is a happy day for me. I live each day at a time, for the present, not the past issues or the future.

I have never heard that Vitamin D will help depression, but I do know in many studies done, even placebo's help people, if it is only because they think it does. Your Mental Health Professional is the most qualified to answer your question.

My best to you,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@haddon9

Vitamin K? Did your doctor explain how that vitamin effects your blood clotting time(INR/ProTime Blood Readings)?

The very 1st thing they did for me in the ER when my organs were bleeding out internally, was to inject me with Vitamin K, as it speeds up blood clotting time, which saved my life.

Anyone with heart or stroke issues has to avoid any food that contains even small amounts of Vitamin K. Even with my massive amounts of blood loss with my bleeding colon, there is no way any of my doctors would even think of giving me Vit. K.  IIhave had  over 130 blood transfusions.

Anyone considering taking Vitamin K would be smart to check with your doctor as it can cause serious blood clots, and sometimes they are fatal.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Contributor

I struggle with depression due to hormones and all that fun stuff.  I started taking organic multivitamins for women.  I really felt a difference.  I had more energy, my moods were better, I was just better all around.  When I forget to take them a few days, and if I am not eating well then I start to feel sluggish again.  I would look into what you consume first.  Stay away from processed stuff.  Keep it simple.  Sure we indulge once in a while, that's normal.  I noticed when I cooked at home more and ate a good breakfast and didn't eat late I felt better.  Getting enough sleep is a MUST.  If you're up late, read a book or magazine or write a letter to a friend or some small task to get your mind back where it needs to be.  Tiredness for me is the number one reason I lull back into depression. Make rest and sleep your number one priority.  Your body needs it.   By the way, I'm in deep south Texas.

Honored Contributor

I have been on 5000 units of Vitamin D daily for several years and then I went to every other day for a medically diagnosed deficiency.  I am sorry to tell you I personally see no difference in my moods and would strongly suggest you look elsewhere for uplifting yourself every day.

And I wholeheartedly go along with others who have said take nothing unless a doctor tells you too.  In the exact words of my doctor when she changed my dose, "I don't want you to get too much because that's not good."   

OTC supplements are nothing to play with.  They can and will affect you in bad ways if you are overloading your body with excess vitamins you do not need and putting yourself at serious risk for all kinds of health problems. 

Have your level checked at your next appointment.  It's not a big deal and they are taking blood anyway to check other things  It's just one more test for the lab to run.     

Good Luck with your smile!  Heart