Honored Contributor

Re: Corona Virus and Chinese Restaurants

@Lilysmom wrote:

Locally a Chinese restaurant closed for two weeks as a precaution as the owners had recently been to China.  People knew they had been there and business dropped off precipitously.  LM

I read that Chinese people are avoiding those restaurants too...many people experience some fear of this virus.It is just so contagious and disruptive.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Nightowlz   MSG is not dangerous.  If you have a reaction to it, then avoid it.

Millions of people eat it everyday with no problems and I one of them.

Every one is not alike.  Peanuts, Dairy, Tree Nuts, Soy and many drugs like penicillin cannot be tolerated by some people who can have serious reactions and can be dangerous to some people and even cause death.

No one has ever died or had any serious long term reactions from MSG, though some people have reported short term reactions.

The FDA has deemed this safe to use and it is used around the world by many people.

@Carmie 

Well I would not deem it safe just because the FDA says it is. You know money talks. I have read enough about it to want to stay away from it.

It's a Neurotoxin (excitotoxins). They are in the food supply. The most used is you got it glutamate.

Regular Contributor

@CARMIE
  In simple words, MSG (Glutamic Acid) eats holes in your brain literally.  Empirical evidence (see below) renders its toxic properties.   The NIH warns against consuming it.    @Nightowlz is correct in all of her comments.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5938543/ 

(excerpt): These toxic effects include CNS disorder, obesity, disruptions

in adipose tissue physiology, hepatic damage, CRS and reproductive

malfunctions. These threats might have hitherto been underestimated.

In the meantime, people keep using ever larger amounts of MSG

unaware of the possible consequences. Further studies need to be

undertaken in order to assess the connection between MSG and

cardiovascular disorders, headache, and hypertension in human models.