Super Contributor

Coping with depression and stress

I have an appt with my doctor in two days and I probably will go back on antidepressants. In the meantime I am dealing with a lot of Anxiety. As mentioned before that I am currently living alone and feel this is a contributing factor. Thanks for being a listening community for me as I don’t have many people to reach out to.
Respected Contributor

Re: Coping with depression and stress

THe best thing you are doing is trying to make things better!  Good for you.  Our son struggles with depression and anxiety.  He takes meds but personally I think they are not working so well.  He is not real open to his doctor and not open to seeing a therapist which could really help.  Best wishes to you!!

Esteemed Contributor

Sorry you are having these feelings.  It's good you are seeing your doctor and hopefully you can get some relief.  Many people need anxiety meds to function in everyday living.

My sister and my daughter both suffer from anxiety.  Hang in there and yes there are many on here who are very supportive, anytime you feel alone come on in and chat for awhile!  Feel betterSmiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

So glad you are seeing someone for help.  I wish you lived nearby.  Keep reaching out.  

Respected Contributor

Along with your medication you may also consider joining a support group. It might knowing that there are other people coping with the same issues that you have.
Esteemed Contributor

Have you seen a therapist in the past, or are you under the care of a therapist now? @gellen 

Antidepressants have a place, but you also need to explore the reasons for the anxiety and depression. It’s hard, and can be painful, but worth it.

Why do you think living alone contributes to your anxiety?  Are you scared, lonely, or maybe both?

Share if you are comfortable. If not that’s ok.

Esteemed Contributor

@gellen wrote:
I have an appt with my doctor in two days and I probably will go back on antidepressants. In the meantime I am dealing with a lot of Anxiety. As mentioned before that I am currently living alone and feel this is a contributing factor. Thanks for being a listening community for me as I don’t have many people to reach out to.

@gellen 

Glad you are seeing your doctor. I can personally relate to what you've described. The best thing I did, for myself and my wife, was have myself admitted. My issues were that bad!

Spent 7+ days in the Mental Ward of my hospital. My diagnosis were Panic/Anxiety Disorder and Clinical Depression. That was in the late '90's.

I still see my Psychiatrist every 6 months. These visits are two fold, to make sure my meds are still doing the job, and to talk about anything in my life that could be a setback.

There have been serious injuries and physical health issues I have been through many times in my life. None of them come close to what I experienced for years before I got help.

It's a BIG BLACK HOLE for many, and only those that have been there can truly understand the toll it takes on one's life. For me it is "a daily process" not a cure.

Sending you my best wishes,

hckynut(john) 🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@manny2 wrote:

Have you seen a therapist in the past, or are you under the care of a therapist now? @gellen 

Antidepressants have a place, but you also need to explore the reasons for the anxiety and depression. It’s hard, and can be painful, but worth it.

Why do you think living alone contributes to your anxiety?  Are you scared, lonely, or maybe both?

Share if you are comfortable. If not that’s ok.

Won't this depend on what kind of Depression she has @manny2 ?  You can't just explain away depression that is associated with Bi Polar Disorder.  It's not the same as just being down and out for a day or two either.  

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@gellen wrote:

Some anti depressants are used to treat anxiety.  Anxiety and Depression seem to co mingle with one another even if you're not Bi Polar.  It could be Seasonal, or because you are going through something life changing at this time.  It's ok.  You're human.  As long as you think you need help and seek it out, you should be on your way to feeling better soon, I hope @gellen 

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Esteemed Contributor

@gellen, I give you so much credit for seeking some help with your problem.  Many people need this type of help!  It sometimes takes courage to confront a problem, and what you are doing will make you feel much better.  I wish you all my best!