Honored Contributor

Re: Cooking with aluminum foil

I don't know what all the hoopla is all about. I've never cooked with aluminum. Why would you? I may use it to cover something and pop it in the frig. If I need something covered while baking, I use the cover to my casserole. 

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

BTW, I have used a deoderant that is a roll on that is made from crystal. It's been effective and I've used it for years (can be found on the bottom or 2nd to bottom shelf) at WalMart.....

@Q4u

Good point about the aluminum in our deodorant.

Sounds like you've found a good product.

If you want to go uber minimalist, how 'bout making your own?

Coconut oil, cornstarch, baking soda, tea tree oil.  Boom..done.

I make a batch (1-1.5cup) about 3 times a yr....yes, it goes a long way.

@sidsmom....I have the four ingredients. Would you mind sharing how much of each item to use? Thanks.

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

@Q4u wrote:

BTW, I have used a deoderant that is a roll on that is made from crystal. It's been effective and I've used it for years (can be found on the bottom or 2nd to bottom shelf) at WalMart.....

@Q4u

Good point about the aluminum in our deodorant.

Sounds like you've found a good product.

If you want to go uber minimalist, how 'bout making your own?

Coconut oil, cornstarch, baking soda, tea tree oil.  Boom..done.

I make a batch (1-1.5cup) about 3 times a yr....yes, it goes a long way.

@sidsmom....I have the four ingredients. Would you mind sharing how much of each item to use? Thanks.

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Beauty/2-Ingredient-DIY-Deodorant/m-p/1812478/highlight/true#M407257

@catwhisperer

Here's an old thread w/ all the info...and link to a YT tutorial video I found yrs ago which shows you what it should look like.  She put hers in a roll up tube, but I just make a batch, scoop out enough for a smaller glass container I keep in my bathroom & keep the remainder in the frig.  Just play around w/ the consistency....summer time, it'll be looser, etc.   BTW...the essential oils are optional.  HTH!  Report back 🙂

Respected Contributor

@sidsmom...thanks!

I promise to remind myself every day that I am strong, courageous, and resilient.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ID2 wrote:

I don't know what all the hoopla is all about. I've never cooked with aluminum. Why would you? I may use it to cover something and pop it in the frig. If I need something covered while baking, I use the cover to my casserole. 

A lot of people use it to BBQ outside and cooking in the oven....I use to wrap potatoes with Foil  to bake in the oven..... and other things. No more.

Contributor

Important news for sure!  I do not use aluminum nor silicone as I do not like "plasticy" stuff near my food but I do love parchment paper XOXO

Honored Contributor

Silpat is so expensive! When I wore mine out, I found a set of three Costco ones that are the same as the Silpat.
Honored Contributor

I have read that soft drinks and beer in aluminum cans are the main source of problems with people getting aluminum into their systems....apparently it is the heat during the canning process. The deodorant thing is the other source from what I have read. 

Honored Contributor

We use aluminum foil when cooking on our smoker. I use parchment paper or a slipat mat when baking in the oven. You can get a huge box of parchment paper 205 sq ft for about $2 at Sam's vs the 45 sq ft box at Wal-Mart for almost $4.

I don't use deodorant with aluminum in it. I have the Crystal deodorant in the past. I have been using Dr. Mercola's Organic Unscented deodorant for several months now with no problems. Will see how it holds up when it gets really hot. I don't see any problems for me.