Contributor

Thank you everyone for the suggestions!  I would never have thought that Clear Care could be used on RGP lenses!  I bought some today and am going to give it a try.  

I don't really want to switch to soft lenses at this point.  In a couple of years I may be close to cataract surgery and then I won't have to wear contacts!

Valued Contributor

@Grammycakes - I usually buy the LOBOB on Amazon as it is a little hard to find locally without going to multiple stores.  And I am just picky enough that, regardless of what solution I am using, I always wash the lenses when I remove them at night and again before I put them in in the morning.  Guess I am a belt and suspenders type.  :-)

Honored Contributor

@Grammycakes wrote:

I have worn gas permeable (hard) contacts for decades, but the past couple of months I've had trouble with protein deposists/filming on them every single day.  It's so bad that I have to take them out at least once to clean them so I can see!  My eye doctor thinks it's allergies and gave me eye drops, but I cant tell any diference.  Has anyone else had this issue?  I hope someone has a miracle answer out there!

@Grammycakes   I could have written your post!  I had the exact same experience & problem.  I started wearing contacts when I was 15 and they were hard contacts.  I then moved on to gas permeable and started to have the same film build up in my 50s.  My eye doctor suggested soft contacts which I had to get used to but since I have a astigmatism I couldn't see as clearly as with the gas permeables. 

I finally got disgusted with the whole thing and now (for the last 10 years or so) I wear glasses.  I have several pairs and plan on getting a pair of clear frames soon.  One thing that I have going for me is that even though I need to wear glasses most of the time I can see pretty well without them....for some odd reason I think my vision has gotten better than when I was younger.

I hope you find a solution to your dilemma.

Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

I had some recurring problems like that with RGP (it's been a few years now) and I found Clear Care cleaner to be effective.  It's the one with a vial and basket that holds the lenses for cleaning.  I had been using some other kind (Boston?) and just rubbing and rinsing at night.  I'd start the day out fine but be miserable in a few hours.  Sometimes I could barely see and they were even more uncomfortable than they usually were.  Cleaning with Clear Care helped.

I am fortunate now to be able to wear soft lenses since the technology for astigmatism has advanced.  In fact, now I wear "dailies" and don't even have to clean them.  Golly gee I hated when those RGP lenses wouldn't pop out!  Or when they popped out when I didn't want them to!  Or when dust got underneath them!   Owww

@Sweetbay magnolia   This is good to know...I plan on seeing my eye doctor next week and will ask him about those contacts.

Esteemed Contributor

@haddon9 - currently I wear 1-Day Acuvue Moist for astigmatism.  In both eyes.  I've also worn Acuvue for astigmatism that were 30-day lenses.  My right eye is very weak and I see very well.  

The next tier is "Oasis" but I can't imagine needing anything more comfortable (or expensive).

How did I ever work outdoors and wear RGP?

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

@haddon9 - currently I wear 1-Day Acuvue Moist for astigmatism.  In both eyes.  I've also worn Acuvue for astigmatism that were 30-day lenses.  My right eye is very weak and I see very well.  

The next tier is "Oasis" but I can't imagine needing anything more comfortable (or expensive).

How did I ever work outdoors and wear RGP?

@Sweetbay magnolia   When I last wore contacts I wore progressives/bifocals.  Do you wear them & do they work well?

Esteemed Contributor

Oh, gosh.  I wear single vision contacts, and reading glasses when necessary.  I will say the doc has just adjusted my prescription for greater mid-range vision and I can read OK most of the time with no aid while wearing the contacts.

My glasses are trifocal.  @haddon9 

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia   Thanks so much!  I'll have to see what my doctor says.