Super Contributor

Re: Constipation, sick of it.

On 3/17/2015 missy kat said:

This is for real: sugar free gummy bears. If you read the fine print on the package, it states it may have a laxative effect on "sensitive" people. But they certainly do get things moving, so to speak. They taste good too. If you want to read some funny reviews, check out A mazon's site regarding this item. Too funny!

Hmmmm...I suppose they are the "new" Bon-Bons ? {#emotions_dlg.ohmy}{#emotions_dlg.laugh} I bet Kids will love them ! Wink

Respected Contributor

Another suggestion here to have your thyroid levels checked. That was my one and only symptom of hypothyroidism, and getting my levels back to normal took care of the constipation.

Frequent Contributor

I would also pose the question: are you eating a very low fat diet? My grandmother suffered from gall stones. She also suffered from heart disease, to the point where she was considered too high a risk for surgery (my, how things have changed!). Her only solution was to eat a very low fat diet. She developed constipation as a result, and was always convinced that we need a certain amount of fat in our diet to stay regular.

Regular Contributor

What no one is addressing is getting at the reason or cause for the problem. This is more complicated and takes time. Regular MD almost never ever address this...not in their training. But getting to the cause could be very important for your health. Most of the suggestions are just patches to relieve the effects/symptoms but not correcting the causes.

There are a number of good books that have come out in the past few year that explain alot more about the functioning of the intestines. There is also growing attention on the balance of bacteria in your gut. Too much of ""bad bacteria"" cause all kinds of problems. Consider asking around to find a Functional Medicine doc or an experience ND (doctor of Naturopathy). They can do testing to see what is going on.

Valued Contributor

On 3/17/2015 missy kat said:

This is for real: sugar free gummy bears. If you read the fine print on the package, it states it may have a laxative effect on "sensitive" people. But they certainly do get things moving, so to speak. They taste good too. If you want to read some funny reviews, check out A mazon's site regarding this item. Too funny!

Any sugar free candy does that. Ask any diabetic.

Honored Contributor

On 3/16/2015 adelle38 said:
On 3/16/2015 wagirl said:

There is a tea called Smooth Move that works pretty good. It's caffeine free and herbal and in the grocery stores for under $5. I used it a few times during chemo. You drink it at night and by the a.m. things were moving smoothly.

Don't take any herbal remedies without checking with your doctor. For instance, Smooth Move contains licorice which can interfere with certain medications and raise blood pressure.

Yes please check first . I was told about this tea from my onc dr. assistant. Nothing in it interfered with what I was going thru.

Super Contributor

I don't usually post much but I just had too on this subject, I have suffered constipation most of my life. Until I discovered Next to Nature about 10 years ago. It is safe to use it is pure aloh vera, it works without having to panic to get to the bathroom in time. Before I started taking this my life was planned around whether it was safe to go anywhere. They have a website where I order from www.nexttonature.com you should do some research on it. I'm not sure that I would, be here if I hadn't found it. Fruit, veg. water, exercise could not help with me, Metamusel and that sort of fiber had the opposite effect on me. Good luck no one knows what it is like until they have suffered through it. Even my husband doesn't understand it, he can eat a 1/2 banana and go!lol

Esteemed Contributor

You should be seeing a gasteroenterologist about this. They are wonderful and know much more about this specific symptom. Sometimes it is the timing and strength of contractions of the muscle walls. They will also let you know if you need more specialized testing.

Honored Contributor

Nothing in this world is as good as MiraLAX. It is amazing. Drs often recommend it to pregnant women.

There are no side affects from drinking this. It has absolutely no taste, smell and it is totally clear.

Just drink it in about 6 to 8 ounces of water in the evening and within 1 day you will have a normal .......

It does not cause cramping or loose stools. Just normal but soft.

Please try it. I understand how difficult all of this can be. Incidentally, I have medicine (prescription) from the Dr. It works but nothing is as good as MiraLAX.

Respected Contributor

On 3/17/2015 proofer said:

I don't usually post much but I just had too on this subject, I have suffered constipation most of my life. Until I discovered Next to Nature about 10 years ago. It is safe to use it is pure aloh vera, it works without having to panic to get to the bathroom in time. Before I started taking this my life was planned around whether it was safe to go anywhere. They have a website where I order from www.nexttonature.com you should do some research on it. I'm not sure that I would, be here if I hadn't found it. Fruit, veg. water, exercise could not help with me, Metamusel and that sort of fiber had the opposite effect on me. Good luck no one knows what it is like until they have suffered through it. Even my husband doesn't understand it, he can eat a 1/2 banana and go!lol

I did see Aloe Vera with the meds for this problem at my Krogers grocery store the other day. I was surprised as I was just looking for some to add to a drink.