Respected Contributor

Considering Vegetarian Lifestyle

Anyone gone this route and if so any helpful books or tips?  My plan is to include eggs and cheese.  Thanks in advance!  Fastwalker

Regular Contributor

Re: Considering Vegetarian Lifestyle

Time consumming. Hard to come up with interesting, different, tasty meals. Spring & summer are the best times for this. Must be willing to plan, cook & prepare meals on a consistent basis. Just jump in and see if works for you. Not easy.

Honored Contributor

there is a lot of info outhere 

I wouldn't it classify it anymore time consuming than any other menu planning

https://www.bloglovin.com/search?q=vegetarian&referrer_context=blog_search_autocomplete

this link gives you many vegetarian blogs, it's from bloglovin  

Honored Contributor

@FastDogWalker2  There is plenty of info online. Personally, my husband and I were lacto-ovo vegetarians for five years. All I can say is,for us it was a lot of work and I gained 20 lbs. and was constipated all the time. For us a balanced diet including all the food groups  is best for us.

Regular Contributor

blackhole99, yes, many people gain weight as they are always hungry and end up eatting more carbs/sugar, cheese = weight gain. It's a hard.

Yes, it's much harder to plan & prepare meals unless you are a great chef. Protein options, tempeh/tofu not for meSmiley Sad Nuts are ok, but only occassionally, Cheese, high in fat & calories

Frequent Contributor

I've been vegetarian, eating some dairy and eggs, for over 20 years. I am on the low normal BMI. There are lots of great recipes out there for well balanced vegetarian meals and it's getting easier to eat out with more restaurants broadening their menus to include meatless items. To modify any recipe, just google the vegetarian version for ideas in substituting for the meat. I use Gardein and Field Roast meat substitues in recipes and rely heavily on eggplant and mushrooms in entrees. 

You don't have to go completely vegetarian at once. Just start adding a couple of meatless meals a week and take it from there. 

Honored Contributor

I just incorporate no meat days into my diet. On some days I eat fish and maybe chicken breast....others I just have raw nuts or egg or cottage cheese as my protein. Easy!

Valued Contributor

I don't think it's difficult at all, but it requires some planning.  Most supermarkets now offer meat substitutes if you are willing to try them.  Some are wonderful and some aren't that great tasting (or healthy).  Try a few to see which you enjoy.  What I do is plan a menu for a week, shop, and do some meal prep.  I feel like I eat more varieties of foods now and I have never felt better.  My skin has improved a great deal as well.  

The website onegreenplanet is a great resource for recipes and other tips.  I found it helpful to take my favorite dishes and just swap ingredients for healthier meatless ingredients.  Good luck!

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@FastDogWalker2 wrote:

Anyone gone this route and if so any helpful books or tips?  My plan is to include eggs and cheese.  Thanks in advance!  Fastwalker

@FastDogWalker2

I've never seen it called a "lifestyle" before, but it would be helpful to know why you are considering this.   For health reasons?   To save money?   Why?

Honored Contributor

@Slainte wrote:

I've been vegetarian, eating some dairy and eggs, for over 20 years. I am on the low normal BMI. There are lots of great recipes out there for well balanced vegetarian meals and it's getting easier to eat out with more restaurants broadening their menus to include meatless items. To modify any recipe, just google the vegetarian version for ideas in substituting for the meat. I use Gardein and Field Roast meat substitues in recipes and rely heavily on eggplant and mushrooms in entrees. 

You don't have to go completely vegetarian at once. Just start adding a couple of meatless meals a week and take it from there. 

I agree,  my spouse and kid like beef, but I have not had any in 4? years, we often do meatless, but wouldn't say we are vegetarian.   need to stop labeling everything