Honored Contributor

Re: Concerns About Medical Practices When Prescribing Medications

[ Edited ]

For the most part, I listen to my doctors. I am allergic to statins.  I have tried 5 of them and they all had the same affect.  The pill they want me to take is my only option for lowering my high cholesterol.  It is not a statin but it also has not been on the market that long.  I realize these companies are spending millions or maybe even billions on research.  I made my decision to wait a year or two until the medication has had more research.  Also I am very sensitive to many medications.  When you are having so many reactions to other meds, why start on something that might give yet another reaction and more pain. Also, I am a person who is more concerned with quality of life than I am in longevity.  I totally understand and appreciate that these doctors are trying to help me and know more about the research than I do and I appreciate they are in the know as to the latest treatment. BUT.....the decision is mind to make and I don't like scare tactics.  God will choose when I die....not them.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I guardedly agree with you. I am off of BP meds, and keep track of my BP at home and it is normal. I asked PCP about it and she has told me that my BP is where it should be over the last 3 wees

When I went to my endo I told her what I had done, and she told me I was back to normal..I have gone from taking 1000 metformin 2 x a day, to 500 metformin 1 x a day. I do this with my Drs approval

My endo  put me on bp meds because I am diabetic and I was borderline high for cholesterol..I have had issues with my stomach and metformin was making it worse. I first was cut down to 500 2x day and last week I went down to 500 1 x a day..Of course I check my sugar to make sure I am not spiking high bs readings

I am fine  and she is OK with my decisions

I will never take statins again...I  had a heart cath and I am normal, as far as my heart and arteries , so I don't need to

Honored Contributor

I am 68 and take no prescriptin drugs at all.  A few years ago my doctor wanted to prescribe a thyroid drug for a minor variation in my "numbers."  I refused.  She was surprised because she said most women want to take thyroid to take off a few pounds.  IMO unless there is a very specific reason for a drug, I am not taking any.  A drug may help with one issue but cause others.  I'll take my chances.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

One other thing I wanted to say.  The doctors haven't had to walk a mile in my shoes.  I tried estrogen when it came out...bad side effects.  I tried Fosamax for 4 months. It tore my stomach up...had to go in for tests, had gastritis, and my stomach was 2 yrs. in healing.  My gut just tells me, hold off on it for right now and, after doing much research, I made this decision.  It wasn't an easy decision to make.   A couple of women have mentioned Thyroid.  I had one slightly low blood test and my doctor wanted me to go on thyroid medicine.  I told her that I had heard.... once on it you had to stay on it.  I told her I would be more comfortable going on it after a couple more blood tests.  Guess what....I have never had another bad reading.  I'm so glad I waited.

Honored Contributor

@jubilant  I certainly understand about stomach issues. I have been battling with gastritis and gerd for 1 1/2 years..Most likely the metformin did it

I had muscle pain in my left arm that made me feel like electricity was going through it..I researched it online and after trying 2 different ones and a fennofibrate and stopped and will never take them again

Honored Contributor

Medicine is a business.  Once you get old enough and you have ANY sympton you are immediately a patient:   On the treadmill until you die or they kill you.

Honored Contributor

I am very fond of my Drs and  trust them. I am on thyroid, and I am so grateful. It is a godsend to me. Diabetes and  thyroid problems along with bipolar condition are all interlinked.  The body is a complex organism and  I understand that they do their best  to help me be a healthy as possible

Honored Contributor

If this was me I would simply tell the Doc I would not be taking the pill. He can’t make you. You can also look for another Doc.
Esteemed Contributor

I totally agree, @jubilant.

My foot has been bothering me and progressively getting worse. I went to the podiatrist yesterday, my first time seeing this dr. I was very happy to get an insert, to also get a boot to wear daily for 30 minutes to stretch my foot and he also said to wear shoes all the time, instead of giving me a shot and or pills. I know sometimes we need these things, but if I can get by without it, thats what I prefer.

Honored Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ

Actually, I have had 3 medical people tell me this.  My cardiologist, the PA in my cardiologist office (at my last visit) and my family doctor.  I don't mind them stressing the importance of how they feel about it and even thanked them for their care and concern.  I also explained to them that they haven't walked a mile in my shoes.  I have other issues in my body....some stemming from other major surgeries and another that I have had since I was 18.  I also told them that if I live to be 78, I will consider that pretty good.  I think some people can't wrap their minds around that kind of thinking .....especially a doctor. One of them looked at me kind of speechless when I told him that so I said to him...."I bet I know what your thinking..I bet your thinking, this woman doesn't have a very strong will to live".  He came back at me with...
"Yes, that is what I was thinking"...then he said "if you were my mother, I'd tell you to take this medicine".  That made it really hard for me to tell him, no and I did feel sorry for him and told him how much I appreciated his concern.  He put his hand on my arm and said, I don't mean to argue with you, but we will have to have this talk again in the future.  I like him very much and I know he thinks that's what's best for me and that is why he is so adamant.  He's doing his job and I'm making my choice.