Honored Contributor
I brought up the subject of wearing a mask and she's not too pleased about it. She thinks she will look strange. I said what do you care what a roomful of strangers think about you.I may have to wrestle her to the ground to put it on! As far as getting the first appointment because she is elderly, I would say probably 75% of his patients are elderly. I doubt they could accommodate her.
Honored Contributor
Handwashing- soap up, then sing the "Happy Birthday" song TWICE while you rub and scrub every nook and crannie of your fingers. I sing inside my head when I'm out, and out loud, full force, at home. Kids love to do this!!
Respected Contributor
My doctor's office has masks that you can wear if you are sick. No one puts them on. I say wear the mask, if you aren't sick but there for something else.
Contributor

I always have the flu shot but just a few weeks ago had a three day bout with nausea and vomiting. Then I caught a terrible cold which really hit me hard, now I have the hacking, dry cough that usually follows. I have been staying away from people, missed a family gathering Saturday evening, and have missed 3 weeks of church. I know exactly how I caught the flu and cold in the first place. I was at the grocery store and a young mother with 4 children was shopping and the children had runny noses and were coughing and sneezing all without covering their mouths and noses as most children fail to do. My advice, walk a large circle around people who you may hear coughing and even though it may not look cool, wear a mask, I wish I had. I wash my hands so often they get raw, don't ever touch anywhere on your face until you get a chance to wash or sanitize your hands, be very aware of this.

Frequent Contributor

That's a good idea to wait in another area or in the car until she's actually being seen. I'd say without question wear a mask. Honestly, people are too involved with their own selves to be concerned how someone else looks, especially at a drs office where you can get away with, and it's the cold/flu season. If not a mask, wrap a scarf near the face area.

Recently at one of my appts, a girl who brought someone to the appt had a mask on and was coughing continually. I was glad she had it on and was not coughing into the air. I don't think anyone really cared how she looked, at least she was being considerate.

I also picked up some individual packets of fizzy Emergen-C at Whole Foods to try. They come in a all kinds of flavors. Maybe taking something like this daily for a time prior to appts would help to boost the immune system. There's also that Airborne stuff. I also always use the Halls Vitamin C drops (not menthol); keeps the mouth/throat moistened. When your mouth is parched and dry, I think it's easier for germs to enter. Walmart carries their own brand.

Also, I always try to use my own pen, bring my own magazines, use hand sanitizer, and avoid touching doors without gloves on. Try to stay-well-hydrated, and bring water. It's too bad it's not like the old days when the docs made house calls!

Honored Contributor
I was talking to a friend who also has an elderly parent. I told her of my concerns with my mother and having her wear a mask at the doctor. She thought I was overreacting and over thinking it. She isn't concerned about her father getting the flu.
Respected Contributor

At my doctor's office they have disposable masks up front. If you're worried at all, have her put one on. It's not full proof, but it's something at least.

Honored Contributor

After hearing the news how the flu is spreading I don't feel I'm overreacting in my concern about it. I heard doctors don't want you to come to their office unless you are elderly with flu symptoms. They want to limit the spread of it. I heard on tv a young girl 17 years old died.

Honored Contributor
On 12/17/2014 wonderfulworld said:

This may sound crazy...but I know someone who had their parent wait in the car or lobby area until their turn came. She (the daughter) waited in the waiting room and opened all the doors so her parent did not have to touch anything. The doctor's staff totally understood and thought it was a good idea.

It's a nice idea but the daughter exposed herself to germs. If she caught it, she would probably expose her mother.

There are ways not to touch most things in a doctor's office. Her elderly mother could wear gloves, for one thing. Use your sweater or jacket to press elevator buttons and open doors.

Don't touch chair arms and DO NOT handle magazines, bring your own reading material.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor
On 12/19/2014 jordan2 said: I was talking to a friend who also has an elderly parent. I told her of my concerns with my mother and having her wear a mask at the doctor. She thought I was overreacting and over thinking it. She isn't concerned about her father getting the flu.

You are right, your friend is wrong.

Stick to your instincts Smile

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices