Honored Contributor

Thanks, Noel. Several Asian folks wear masks during flu seasons around here. I've already copied their use of umbrellas on walking paths in hot/warm climates.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor
On 1/3/2015 JAKEE said: I have been sick since Monday morning. And I was thinking, " retired in July, flu shot in Sept., always washing hands, should not have to worry this year about flu. I have combo flu/ sinus inf. went to dr. Cough, body aches horrible, I have asthma so a little scary. Feel worse today than whole time. I was at functions last weekend where people came sick. REALLY???? Bad enough people are inconsiderate in workplace & stores. I would say to overreaact!

I hope you feel better soon, Jakee. Influenza and sinus infections are no fun at all. Here are some natural things that might help you feel better more quickly, if you are not allergic to any of them, that is (of course): Coconut oil and Monolaurin, green tea, black tea, elderberry extract (aka sambucus), holy basil extract, oil of oregano, olive leaf extract, astragalus, garlic, and licorice. Also, vitamin C and vitamin D.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2957173/

Honored Contributor

Get one of those protective face masks that she can wear. It goes over the nose and mouth area. Maybe that will help. There's only so much a person can do. Does she own some gloves? There's plastic disposable ones. They wear them at the hospitals. Overseas other countries, their citizens wear the masks. If doctors wear the masks to limit germs, goodness get one for her.

Contributor

jordan2;

You are not overreacting. Just last night (Fri, Jan 2) there was a report on ABC World News Tonight stating that some doctors are asking patients with the flu to stay home. Doctors are offering video conferences over the computer instead of having sick patients visit their medical offices. Here is the link to the video article:

http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/video/doctors-flu-patients-stay-home-27971418

Esteemed Contributor

You all bring up good points. I agree about using my own pen in public. Always. I routinely have almost 2 weeks off during the holidays at which time I schedule mammo, cholesterol lab and follow-up doc appointment, dental check up... The only thing remaining is dental check up. After reading your posts, I may delay dental check until after February.

Husband and I went to crowded Nebraska Furniture Mart and out to eat last night. While in the restroom stall, I noticed someone exited their stall and headed right towards the door -- skipping the sink. After washing my hands TWICE, I went back to our restaurant booth and suggested perhaps we should stay out of crowded places as much as possible until the flu threat subsides. I've had a flu shot, but understand my shot may only be 50% effective.

The mask over the face is a great idea. I often wonder about the grocery store, even though I use sanitary wipes on hands and cart. The gas nozzles at service stations? I made a decision to attend the gym fewer times a week and exercise at home instead. The gym is a petri dish with the sweat and huffing and puffing. I attend a 3000 congregation church. Once I hear the flu has hit, I'll stay at home for a while. Something to think about.

Good health to all. Interesting subject. Thanks for giving me something to think about.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Trusted Contributor

I understand your concern for your Mom, Jordan2.

Sometimes we don't have a choice and we have to go to medical appointments. I agree with the others who said that you can give your Mom one of those disposable masks to wear when she is waiting in the doctor's office, if she would be agreeable to wearing one of those.

The hospital I go to and doctor's offices I also go to, supply those for patients who are ill, but I wouldn't hesitate to wear one myself, if I was trying to avoid getting ill myself during cold and flu season.

The flu can be transmitted through the air and can be left on surfaces, so your Mom should wash her hands regularly.

She should also try and eat normally and stay as healthy as possible, and stay hydrated, too.

Honored Contributor
My mother already vetoed the mask. I wish I didn't have to take her to the doctor but she has some chronic conditions and must go every 3 months. I'll just do the best I can and follow some of the helpful tips provided here. I wish all a very healthy winter season!
Contributor
Thank you, Jersey Born for taking the time to type all of the helpful information!
Respected Contributor
On 1/3/2015 JAKEE said: Thank you, Jersey Born for taking the time to type all of the helpful information!

You are very welcome, Jakee. I hope the information helps you to recover. I know all of those things have helped me and my family members whenever we get sick.

In fact, whenever any of us have a sore throat, we drink two 8 ounce glasses of coconut milk (So Delicious brand), and within 20 minutes, the soreness goes completely away.

Good luck, and feel better soon!

Honored Contributor
On 1/3/2015 jordan2 said: My mother already vetoed the mask. I wish I didn't have to take her to the doctor but she has some chronic conditions and must go every 3 months. I'll just do the best I can and follow some of the helpful tips provided here. I wish all a very healthy winter season!

Jordan, in dealing with my parents over the last few years, in order to persuade them on some things, if I asked if they would do something (like the mask) for my benefit, they usually did. Maybe your mom would do it to help make sure she didn't get something at the doc's and pass it on to you. It's worth a shot!