Honored Contributor

One of the most important ways to protect yourself is DO NOT touch your face... eyes, nose, mouth area.

We all do it many times a day and it's hard not to, but really try not to when your in the doctor's office.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Super Contributor

I have a weekly appointment in a doctor's office in the hospital. I wear a mask when I go. I'm careful to keep my hands away from my face but unfortunately there are inconsiderate idiots who cough and sneeze into the air. I couldn't care less how I look with the mask.

Honored Contributor
On 1/2/2015 jordan2 said:

After hearing the news how the flu is spreading I don't feel I'm overreacting in my concern about it. I heard doctors don't want you to come to their office unless you are elderly with flu symptoms. They want to limit the spread of it. I heard on tv a young girl 17 years old died.

It's not unique to this season just because there has been a lot of air-time given to "the flu shot not working" this season. No flu shot has ever been 100% effective. Thousands of people die in this country *every* year from the flu and complications.

Doctors' offices are acutely aware this time of year. If I needed to go to the doctor and I knew I was sick, I would make sure they knew I was afraid of coughing or sneezing in the waiting room. I put it to the office to help protect others (by isolating me somehow), and if they don't, I'd blame the office. It's their business - plus the office staff don't want to get sick either.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Valued Contributor
On 12/19/2014 jordan2 said: I was talking to a friend who also has an elderly parent. I told her of my concerns with my mother and having her wear a mask at the doctor. She thought I was overreacting and over thinking it. She isn't concerned about her father getting the flu.
Jordan -- your concerns are valid and you are not overreacting! My Mom is 89 and my problem is getting her to understand the risks of being in public places during this flu season. Her mobility is poor and she has other health issues. She is mentally sharp, but just seems in denial about what a toll the flu would take on her. The flu is widespread in our area. I think there are several great suggestions that have been given here. I hope all goes well at the doctor's office. Your Mom is blessed to have such a caring daughter...
Honored Contributor
I had similar concerns when I would take my mother to the dr ..I called her dr's office and shared my concern and they were very accommodating......when we arrived they would take her directly to an exam room rather than keeping us out in the waiting room. I think it did minimize exposure to heaven-knows-what germs were being coughed and sneezed about in the waiting room.Having your mother wash her hands as soon as she is home from the dr or any other outing is also important. I commend OP for being so attentive to her mother's welfare....what a good daughter !
Trusted Contributor

Yep, doctors' waiting rooms and ER waiting areas are some of the germiest places on earth! Avoid them if you can, and minimize contamination if you must go. In the middle of flu season, I'd seriously consider wearing a mask and gloves, carry your own pen and magazines, and try to sit or stand away from others. I hate to tell you, but the exam rooms often aren't much better.

Honored Contributor
Jump4joy and lovesrecess thank you very much for your kind words! You only get one mother and I'm only doing what any daughter would. I want to keep my mother around as long as possible!
Honored Contributor

Tell your mom to NOT touch chair handles and/or magazines in doc's waiting rooms. Also, carry hand sanitizer and/or individually wrapped antibacterial wipes packets. Keep sanitizing your moms hands, and yours, too. Just wondering if it is a good idea to slightly swab the outside of our nostrils with triple antibiotic. Just a slight q-tip of antibiotic on the entrance of our nostrils. Just in case germs fly into our noses, there will be an antibiotic at work.........just a thought.............Smile

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

OH YES, THAT'S RIGHT..........BRING YOUR OWN PEN!! to sign forms. Very important!!

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

As someone else suggested: Do not rub our eyes, nose, ears, mouth. Do not touch our faces at all. Remember to sanitize after pushing elevator buttons, too. Don't shake doc's hand, either.........they are always touching computers, doorknobs, phones, papers, etc., etc. Nurses/assistants, from room to room, are always using the same computers that the docs are using.