Respected Contributor

Yup, I was out like a light.  Very fast. Had it at 7 out of there by 930 and out to breakfast feeling fine.

Honored Contributor
You don’t find out until you have one that the prep is far worse than the procedure.
Honored Contributor
Thanks so much for everyone’s feedback and personal experiences! I am sure DH is already less apprehensive....I am going to call his cardio’s office to make sure they have sent over his last ekg.
Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess  Only Valium for a Colonoscopy with no pain?  Never heard of that used, what year was this? I have had 15 Colonoscopies, 2 with no a thing pre of during the procedure. Pain? That's relative, but comfortable stress free? No!

Most of my 15 they used the same anesthesia, Versed/Fentanyl. The most recent ones, the same group of GI doctors, used Propofol. I have had most types of anesthesia over decades and none of them ever effected how I felt post procedure.

Even my last 3 Endoscopies, Propofol was used by this group. My nephew is an Anesthesiologist and told me lots of procedures are now done with Propofol in lieu of "twilight sleep" types of anesthesia. 

Maybe I am missing your point here, but even though every medical procedure has risks, I see no more risk for me than a partial sleep anesthesia. My view on this topic.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@wonderfulworld wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

Propofol and Fentynyl, only out for a very short time. 

Yes, this was what I had...out like a light....woke up and it was over...the Michael Jackson Special👍

Just out of curiosity why would anyone like Michael Jackson want to do this? I have had it twice and it works for a medical procedure but cannot see any plus side to it otherwise. Anybody know? Thanks

Propofol provides an amazing sense of well-being.  I've had it, and I totally understand why someone would want to use it often.  I never felt so good in my life!

Honored Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

My clinic used the stuff that shady doctor gave Michael Jackson, but it is carefully administered. I'm not sure of the spelling, but it sounds like Propofal.

@AuntG  @lovesrecess 

Yes, the MJ drug is actually quite safe IF administered correctly.  I've had spinal epidurals and was always surprised by how quickly I came out of it.

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

Propofol and Fentynyl, only out for a very short time. 

I've had 2 colonoscopies 5 years apart and given Fentynol once and Propofol once.  Can't remember the Fentynol one but the Propofol was great.  I didn't have that feeling of waking up in a half stupor or still in a fog.   

Honored Contributor

I don't know why they used the term full anesthesia but it is incorrect.  Perhaps they wanted to make it clear that the patient will be asleep during the procedure.  It's actually conscious sedation, not general anesthesia.   

Honored Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
You don’t find out until you have one that the prep is far worse than the procedure.

@lovesrecess 

What exactly are you saying here? "You don't find out until you have one"?  As I said previously, I have had 15 Colonoscopies and 5 Double Balloon Enteroscopies(same procedure, more detailed and takes hours, not minutes). I knew the specific prep for each and every procedure. Am I missing something here?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@chrystaltree wrote:

I don't know why they used the term full anesthesia but it is incorrect.  Perhaps they wanted to make it clear that the patient will be asleep during the procedure.  It's actually conscious sedation, not general anesthesia.   

@chrystaltree 

Did I miss where the OP said the name of the Anesthesia? I mentioned Propofol in 1 of my posts, and every time I have had it, an Anesthesiologist administered it. Yes, it was general anesthesia, for my most recent Colonoscopy and my last 2 Endoscopies.

As I asked @lovesrecess in my last post, "am I missing something here"?

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)