Honored Contributor

Colonoscopy sedation

[ Edited ]

DH has just changed his Primary care dr and he wants him to have a colonoscopy since it has been 7 yrs since the last one. His last one was fine. His new one is scheduled Feb 5. The instructions sent to him from the place that will do it says he will be given full anesthesia and will be asleep throughout the procedure. He got email instructions saying he would be given “sedation”. I have only had something like Valium for both of mine and that was fine...no pain or stress at all. 

What were you given when you had a colonoscopy?

I never heard of full anesthesia for this...and it says he will be able to go home an hour after the procedure. Makes no sense to me, maybe it’s the way they do things now.

Respected Contributor

I cannot give you the name of the sedation but it is very short acting. You are

out for the procedure but come out  and recover pretty quickly. I have had it twice ( in ten years) for my colonoscopies. Nothing new.

Regular Contributor

Went for mine last year and this was the first time that they actually had an anethesologist put me out.  In the past, it's been a low level twilight sort of sleep.  One minute I was awake and the next I knew I was in recovery.

Honored Contributor

I thought they use Versad for twlight sleep, I have never heard anyone having a colonoscopy under full General Anesthesia

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor
My last one was 4 yrs ago...I was given a pill to take an hour before the procedure. DH is 73 now so maybe it has to do with his age. He is quite nervous about it now that he knows he will have the full anesthesia. I had the twilight stuff when I had dental surgery.
Respected Contributor

I was asleep for mine. I have had three of them. I am a little groggy and after given some toast ,as fasted  over night sent home  in an hour or so but, not allowed to drive. It must depend on the Doctor?  No polyps  any more but have diverticulitis which does not bother me with any discomfort. Cant win.

Honored Contributor

Propofol and Fentynyl, only out for a very short time. 

Esteemed Contributor

@wonderfulworld wrote:

I cannot give you the name of the sedation but it is very short acting. You are

out for the procedure but come out  and recover pretty quickly. I have had it twice ( in ten years) for my colonoscopies. Nothing new.

With a family history of Colon Cancer i have to get colonoscopies more often then the normal person....every couple years.....in the beginning it was twilight (like two times) since then (about 5 times)  I have the same sedation process as  you...........out for a short while totally....then wake up and leave.................i would rather be OUT....when i did the twilight one time i FELT it...and it wasn't good....

Honored Contributor

I very rarely take meds....but I would so welcome this if I was having this procedure.

Honored Contributor

A very light dose of propofol.

Administered by IV with a certified nurse anesthetist present.

An anesthesiologist will review your chart & talk to you the day of the procedure.

@lovesrecess wrote:

DH has just changed his Primary care dr and he wants him to have a colonoscopy since it has been 7 yrs since the last one. His last one was fine. His new one is scheduled Feb 5. The instructions sent to him from the place that will do it says he will be given full anesthesia and will be asleep throughout the procedure. He got email instructions saying he would be given “sedation”. I have only had something like Valium for both of mine and that was fine...no pain or stress at all. 

What were you given when you had a colonoscopy?

I never heard of full anesthesia for this...and it says he will be able to go home an hour after the procedure. Makes no sense to me, maybe it’s the way they do things now.