Regular Contributor
Thank you sfnative...my two surgical procedures were due to endometriosis and I know my gynecologist said it was back on my bowel and she didn't want to remove it because of damaging my bowel but my doctor who did my total hysterectomy said he removed all the endometriosis when he did my surgery. Wasn't sure if adhesions from multiple surgeries made a difference when doing a colonoscopy?
Honored Contributor

@jjb wrote:
 I worry about complications like perforations but I'm told it's very rare that complications happen. 
--------While I think perforations are rare, they do happen and can be deadly.  Due to a family history, I'm in my 50's and have already had three of them.  My advice would to be to relax and schedule yours, but maybe an alternative test could be done, so discuss that with your doctor if you have deep concerns.
Super Contributor

@jjb Please do not put off having the colonoscopy, the hardest part is the prep...I have them every couple of years..polyps removed and I am done. My neighbor's son passed away from colon cancer last August, its a horrible disease..he was 25.

Super Contributor

@jjb I had at least 7 surgeries for endometriosis..finally a hysterectomy...all prior to my first colonoscopy....adhesions had been removed from my bowels as well..no problems with the procedure. Let us know when you have it scheduled and I will be praying for peace of mind..as well as a good report.

Trusted Contributor

I had your same concerns when I had mine less than a month ago but it was totally fine.  To me, the worst part was drinking the prep solution to get cleaned out.

Regular Contributor
Thank you auntg..I definitely will be asking.

Regular Contributor
Thank you so much gracie2014, I can't tell how much your post has put my mind at ease. So nice to talk to someone who has my exact concern. I see my family doctor in May and he already told me he will be referring me to the endoscopy center for the consultation. I will let you know when and thank you for all your prayers. So sorry about your neighbors son..25 is so young. Did he have a strong family history of colon cancer?
Regular Contributor
Thank you TaylorBrown. Glad to hear that..I hear that is the worst part.
Honored Contributor

@jjb, @SUHsE  Is a colonoscopy a safe test?  A resounding YES this is a very safe test.  Your Dr will patiently take her/his time to check every inch of your color for anything that may be problematic, in fact to find any polyps they will remove immediately and you will never know it until the test is over.  This test takes less an 30 minutes. You will awaken back in your private room and will get your full results immediately.

The prep - anybody can mix the 8.3oz Miralax into 2  32oz bottles of a light/clear gatorade.  Shke vigorously to mix, drink. Tastes like gatorade and nothing else.  You don't really need to take one or two ducalex tabs to get you going, Miralax is all you need.

Drink and poop, clean yourself out, a great somewhat gentle detox. Meet with your Dr the next day - done.  Get your results immediately.  This does NOT get any better.

And if you think I'm kidding about ANY of this info?  Try the alternative when you told yourself that  can't do this, I can't drink this stuff.   Really?   Trust me when I tell you you do not want your Dr to tell you that because you chose not to get yourself checked and s/he tells you that you have colon cancer.  Chemo and radiation is much worse.

Regular Contributor
Your are so right PinkDogwood...I can do this and before everyone's comments I wasn't sure. Thank god we have a test like this that can actually remove possible precancerous polyps. These comments have eased my mind so much.. I will be having this done!!