Respected Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

I will turn 50 in March so that's when I'll need to have this done.  I am not so much afraid of the procedure, it's the prep.  Everyone I know had to drink a gallon of that Go-Lightly.  I have a terrible stomach and nearly vomited when I had to drink stuff for a CT Scan of my abdomen and that was just a small container.  I can't imagine having to drink a gallon of Go-Lightly in a certain amount of time.  I'm hoping when the time comes that they'll have me do the Miralax/Gatorade prep.

2 years ago I had to have an Endoscopy done and they used Propofol to put me under.  I had no bad after effects and could have actually gone back to work.  I wasn't even the least bit drowsy from it.   

I'll try to be sensitive and not gross about the prep.  BUT  - even the prep has changed over the years and tho far from wonderful, much better.  My first prep was sodium phosphate and was a small container you mixed with water and no way to disguise that disgusting taste no matter how one tried.  Six years ago I had MoviPrep - and though the taste was much improved, you had to drink 2 smaller bottles mixed with lots of water and was disgusting.

Last week's prep was called SuprPrep.  Its two 6 oz bottles, with an attempt to be flavored grape.  I will say it was much better than the other 2 but taste still needs improvement. Won't go into specifics other than it works but without living on the toilet all night.  Two doses - first given at 5:30pm and you mix it with 16 oz of water which u must drink slowly but finish within 30 minutes. Must follow that with 2 glasses of 16 ounces of clear cool water within the next hour.   The second prep had to be timed so that it was completed within 6 hours of your procedure.  Again, I felt like maybe it wasn't working but the gastro assured me it worked well which baffled me!  But no polyps and no signs of anything troubling.  

Super Contributor

Doctor gave me Supprep for the procedure and don't think I could take it again... Made me so sick and when I started dry heaving I knew I had to stop.   The procedure was done quick and I had 4 precancer polyps removed... Thank goodness I went.  As for the prep I need to find something else - Yuck...

Honored Contributor

@hckynut, I'm definitely going to get it done but when the time comes for me to drink that stuff, I'm going to be here whining and complaining so be prepared!  Woman LOLWoman LOL

Respected Contributor

Here's a chuckle for everyone.

DH had his colonoscopy.  He had one polyp that was snipped. Dr. said, "see you in another 5 years".

The nurse called me into his cubicle and DH was laying on his side.  His eyes were quite blood shot.  He looked at me and I could tell he was still a little doped up.  All of a sudden he looks at me and started to sing, "If loving you is wrong, I don't wanna be right"!  Everyone in the postop started cracking up.

Afterward, we went out for breakfast and when we got home, I told him what he did and he didn't believe me.

That was my laugh for the day.

Honored Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@hckynut, I'm definitely going to get it done but when the time comes for me to drink that stuff, I'm going to be here whining and complaining so be prepared!  Woman LOLWoman LOL

@Lipstickdiva

As long as you get it done, whine all you want to me. What I will do is this. How about: "Hey! Only 19-18-17 more gallons and you will catch up with me"? Assuming my Right Colon behaves itself and stays together! Deal?        =^..^=

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Super Contributor

Dr. removed 3 precancer polyps and the 4th one gave him some trouble so he could not get it done.  Six months later I had to do the procedure again and drink Suppprep again.   Mixed it with gingerale, gatorade, any thing I could make that putrid taste go away.  Ate mints, hard candy, gum and mouth wash...The first bottle of that prep was hard enough to take and then the second dose put me over the edge.  I mixed that with diet coke (not sure that was a good idea) but that hardly helped.  I gagged and dry heaved so much that I had to stop drinking.  If this was not good enough for the prodecure tomorrow so be it... I was sick as a dog and did not get to bed until 2AM... OMG... Everything went great and will not drink that sickening junk again ever... Any other suggtestions.  Two friends just went through the prodecure and did not have a problem with what their doctor gave them and it was not Supprep...

Honored Contributor

@hondagirl

"Any other suggestions", is your question. I have told my Colon story many times on this forum. I know many say they can't handle Go or NyLytely. Some I think are basing that on only what they have heard from others. Having drank my 20th gallon last Fall, I have never had any of the problems you described with you using the Supprep. 

I can only say that all my Gastro Doctors use only these 2 as prep and will not do any Colon procedure on any patient that does not use it. Will admit that I must have a pretty strong stomach, but I also give some credit to myself for using mental acrobatics to assure myself that I can do it.

Do I like it? No, but I know it is a necessity, and gear my mind towards the positives of drinking it and making the procedures easier on myself and my Gastro Doctors. My results are what count to me, not my having to go through the "not so pleasant" part of this type of life saving procedure.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I was SO AGAINST it for years....   I was scared of it, embarressed about it.... and felt it was just too much of an inconvience........ and then I was basically forced to having it done in order to have a surgery two years ago....

Now I feel embarressed that I made such a huge deal about it.  Even the prep was so big deal.    I am so grateful that I was made to do it to learn that it was NO BIG DEAL AT ALL.!!!!  They did find two large polyps  which they removed.   

My husband had his done last year   and they removed 12 POLYPS!!!   So so thankful that he had it done... those could have turned into cancer! ( most likely would have.) 

.  I  know other people feel about it how I did prior to having mine done.......GO HAVE YOUR COLONOSCOPY  if you have put it off.... JUST DO IT!!   It  just could save your life.

Regular Contributor
😂
Regular Contributor
That's funny about your DH singing...my kids did the same thing when they had their wisdom teeth out!