Super Contributor

After a few days still feel somewhat bloated and lots of gas... Any info from someone who also experienced side effects...

Honored Contributor

Re: Colonoscopy Done 5 days ago

No advice but it took a few weeks for my system to return to normal after my last one.  

Honored Contributor

I have had many and always back to normal on the same day.

Valued Contributor

Took me about 5 days to feel normal again!  I was really knocked out after mine - came home about 1PM and slept the entire day, got up ate some rice and slept all night.  My tummy was VERY off the day following.  My system must be slow as I was still "going" the next day ~ I had some pain as well in lower abdomen, from scar tissue and the tech having some difficulty removing the scope (ouch) - it woke me up!  They put me back under, thankfully!  I'm due for another later in year. 

Valued Contributor

@hondagirl I just also had one last Thursday. I was a bit "gassy", for lack of a better word, on the day after. But nothing else. It was my first one, so I wasn't sure what to expect. But I know one thing....my stomach has not looked this flat for a long time!😂😂. Hope your results were good. Everyone kept telling me I would probably sleep the rest of the day, but I was active and wide awake all day. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hondagirl wrote:

After a few days still feel somewhat bloated and lots of gas... Any info from someone who also experienced side effects...

@hondagirl  Have you heard from your physician regarding pathology?  Is there an alloted time that you will hear if there are any findings or not?  If you have heard that the procedure is normal and you are continuing to have these issues, my first question would be if you started the Metamucil (or whatever fiber) as directed by the attending?  If you have and you are continuing to have issues, perhaps you  need to cut back on the amount you are taking.  Aside from that, I might choose to call my doctor and get his input.  (As an aside, I did say "his" referring to mine because mine is a "his/him").  

Respected Contributor

@hondagirl. I have twisted intestines which is not rare but it takes longer for the gas to pass. Twice, it took more than a week and a half until the gas passed and the bloating to go away. The gas pain was so intense, even in my back, that after 5 days I called the doctor and he had me take a test. I don' t remember if it was a sonogram or what  but it showed nothing unusual, so I waited it out. My last colonoscopy, I hardly had any gas at all when I left his office. The next day I was fine. Highly unusual but a pleasant unexpected surprise for me.  Unfortunately, it's something we have to do and each time it can be different. I hope you feel better soon.

Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Trusted Contributor

I’ve had three colonoscopies. They always disrupt my gut bacteria.  I’d call your gastroenterologist’s office and see if there is some sort of probiotic type thing that might help.  

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Honored Contributor

@hondagirl

Glad to hear you had a Colonoscopy, which I presume turned out well! Was yours a long procedure where a lot of air/water may have been used in the procedure? I can't imagine the procedure itself for a prolonged "gassy" feeling!

I have had 15 Colonoscopy's and 5 much longer, more detailed procedures(hours not minutes), and I have never had that side effect. Maybe the choice or food types could be the issue. While I have heard some complain about this the same, or the next day, never after 5 days passed.

Might want to check this out with the Gastroenterologist that performed your Colonoscopy. 

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

I have had quite a few.....and it has always taken me between 1-2 weeks to feel "normal" again.....my significant other and my siblings....both felt fine a day or two after...