Reply
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,616
Registered: ‎10-01-2014

Colonoscopies, following John's discussion

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest asked in another thread if colonoscopies hurt, so I thought we could chime in with our stories.

 

I've had two, ten years apart. The procedure itself was a nonevent in terms of pain during or after, but the prep day before wasn't much fun. You just have to be sure you're near facilities once it hits, because it will be multiple visits in a short timeframe, lol! I had polyps removed each time, no pain even afterward. I think I was given Versed, it is a light antisthetic, and I "woke up" near the end of the first one, but no big deal.

 

If you're 50 or over and haven't had one, please do. It is an excellent tool for  picking up one of the more quiet cancers.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor
Posts: 33,580
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Colonoscopies, following John's discussion

Thanks for this.

 

My sister is going to be 52 in a couple of weeks and hasn't had one and I've been on her to do it. She is a BC survivor already and although many talk about the prep, the test I've heard from numerous people is no big deal.

 

My DH turned 50 in October and again, hasn't had one and I bug him all the time about it. 

 

Even the prep for some isn't as bad.  I've heard a lot of people say they just had to take some laxatives.  That's better than drinking "go-lightly." What a name and what a lie!  ROFLOL 

Valued Contributor
Posts: 662
Registered: ‎04-20-2012

Re: Colonoscopies, following John's discussion

@MaggieMack, yup, it's one of those things we just really should do....like it or not.

 

I've had 2.  Each time the prep was the worse part for me.  Apparently, I've got some kind of sensitivity to the prep stuff & boy, it made me sick.

 

but I was told there are new prep things to take so, hopefully, the next one should go easier & hurray for that!

 

 

Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours brighter.
Valued Contributor
Posts: 624
Registered: ‎05-20-2010

Re: Colonoscopies, following John's discussion

More an inconvenience than anything, IMO.  The prep day is definitely a stay-at-home day.  The procedure itself for me was just a brief and pleasant snooze.  When I awoke I didn't even realize it was already over.  Then all I wanted to do was go eat.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,424
Registered: ‎01-09-2011

Re: Colonoscopies, following John's discussion

[ Edited ]

I agree.

 

However, I told my doctor recently that I would never go through that prep procedure again. This was after discovering that the type of prep you go through depends on the physician who will be doing the procedure. I have had friends do a simple version, while I experienced the whole sparkling drink, the laxatives and the Go Lightly karp.

 

We send men to space, there has to be a better way! There is, they are doing a new non-invasive test developed at the Mayo Clinic and to be introduced this year. It involves taking samples at home, similar to a different test that detected blood in your system from a few years back, then it is sent to be tested.

 

I will wait for that!

 

Update: uses something called Cologuard Technology and is available in MN and in some other Mayo locations, ask your MD's about it!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor
Posts: 14,509
Registered: ‎03-10-2010

Re: Colonoscopies, following John's discussion

Thanks, i have been having issues for some time, not told my doctor ,because of the fear of having one.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Valued Contributor
Posts: 860
Registered: ‎10-05-2012

Re: Colonoscopies, following John's discussion

I just had my third one in 15 years yesterday. Yes, the prep is a bear. but the procedure it self is painless since you are given anesthesia. 

 

I had "precancerous" polyps removed 15 years ago, a clean colonoscopy 5 years after that. My physician retired.  

 

The one who did the one yesterday said because of the initial polyps, I should be having one every 5 years now. Also some spots of diverticulosis. 

 

Really do encourage everyone to have one. I would imagine chemotherapy, colon resection or radiation is much worse. 

 

 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 24,599
Registered: ‎03-09-2010

Re: Colonoscopies, following John's discussion


@Jacie wrote:

I agree.

 

However, I told my doctor recently that I would never go through that prep procedure again. This was after discovering that the type of prep you go through depends on the physician who will be doing the procedure. I have had friends do a simple version, while I experienced the whole sparkling drink, the laxatives and the Go Lightly karp.

 

We send men to space, there has to be a better way! There is, they are doing a new non-invasive test developed at the Mayo Clinic and to be introduced this year. It involves taking samples at home, similar to a different test that detected blood in your system from a few years back, then it is sent to be tested.

 

I will wait for that!

 

Update: uses something called Cologuard Technology and is available in MN and in some other Mayo locations, ask your MD's about it!


Problem with that kind of test is that it wont detect polyps or remove them, you need a real colonoscopy for that, and that is really the basis of the entire test. To remove the cancer causing polyps.  Choose an easy prep such as pills or Miralax in ginger ale or iced tea. My gastro doc lets his patients choose their own prep.

Respected Contributor
Posts: 4,424
Registered: ‎01-09-2011

Re: Colonoscopies, following John's discussion

[ Edited ]

@Shelbelle wrote:

@Jacie wrote:

I agree.

 

However, I told my doctor recently that I would never go through that prep procedure again. This was after discovering that the type of prep you go through depends on the physician who will be doing the procedure. I have had friends do a simple version, while I experienced the whole sparkling drink, the laxatives and the Go Lightly karp.

 

We send men to space, there has to be a better way! There is, they are doing a new non-invasive test developed at the Mayo Clinic and to be introduced this year. It involves taking samples at home, similar to a different test that detected blood in your system from a few years back, then it is sent to be tested.

 

I will wait for that!

 

Update: uses something called Cologuard Technology and is available in MN and in some other Mayo locations, ask your MD's about it!


Problem with that kind of test is that it wont detect polyps or remove them, you need a real colonoscopy for that, and that is really the basis of the entire test. To remove the cancer causing polyps.  Choose an easy prep such as pills or Miralax in ginger ale or iced tea. My gastro doc lets his patients choose their own prep.


You need to go to the Mayo site too long to copy here. It's the latest in technology. It deals with polyps etc.

 

AND, not all allow you to chose your prep on the old procedure

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 5,616
Registered: ‎10-01-2014

Re: Colonoscopies, following John's discussion


@goldensrbest wrote:

Thanks, i have been having issues for some time, not told my doctor ,because of the fear of having one.


@goldensrbest, get yourself an appointment tomorrow! Having colon cancer is SO SO SO much worse than having the test! In comparison, the test is NOTHING! Do it for your three beautiful Goldens if not for yourself. Please! Heart

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop