Valued Contributor

Re: Colonoscopies, following John's discussion

@MaggieMack wrote:

@AspenGrove, your story made my day! Hooray for you! Another life saved because you did the right thing, having the colorectal test with the best track record. Keep telling your story, you might save another's life. Heart

Thanks, @MaggieMack!  I really appreciate your kinds words.  My gastro actually said I was the poster child for why everyone needs a colonoscopy at 50, even those of us without family history or high risk.  Like you, she made me feel pretty darn great for saving my own life (her words).  Not only that, but after my experience, my sibling and five friends each went to have their own colonoscopies, which they had never had before.  Three of them had multiple polyps removed and some were cancerous or pre-cancer.  Every single one of them is fine today because they had the polyps removed in time before they spread anywhere.  I am so happy and proud that we all took care of ourselves. And continue to with regular screenings.

Valued Contributor

@cater wrote:

151949 please re read your response to aspengrove, she was just giving you her thoughts with your health in mind. I don't think she deserved such a sharp toned response. She was just telling you what hapened to her. Really was a slap down.

Thank you, @cater

Honored Contributor

@AspenGrove wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@AspenGrove wrote:

@151949 wrote:

For someone like me who has no history and no reason to suspect any issues my insurance is encouraging the cologard test instead of the colonscopy. Fine with me.

@151949, you might want to reconsider solely relying on the Cologard test.  I did just that because I had no history and wasn't deemed high risk in any way, and the test never detected a thing. Then, I had my baseline colonoscopy at 50 and lo and behold, they discovered one polyp and it had a couple of cancerous cells in it that my gastroenterologist said had been growing in me for at least 15 years. Happily, the gastro removed the polyp during my colonoscopy and I am totally fine. I am now on the frequent flyer colonoscopy plan and I'm more than happy to be!  The procedure probably saved my life.

I'm pretty certain I can trust a renowned institution like the Mayo Clinic to know more about this than you do.They developed this test.

Wow.  Just wow. Your anger duly noted. Have a lovely day.

No anger - just simply stating a FACT. 

Honored Contributor

So, I read the Cologuard article, but still confused, I had 2 benign polyps last time I did the regular colonoscopy, they were removed. Would this test detect these and how would they get removed??

Respected Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

So, I read the Cologuard article, but still confused, I had 2 benign polyps last time I did the regular colonoscopy, they were removed. Would this test detect these and how would they get removed??

I think you would still need a diagnostic colonoscopy because of your prior polyps.

If there is an abnormal finding, you still will need to have a colonoscopy. 

I'd rather just do it all at one time and get it over with. 

Honored Contributor

@Beachy1 wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

I think you would still need a diagnostic colonoscopy because of your prior polyps.

If there is an abnormal finding, you still will need to have a colonoscopy. 

I'd rather just do it all at one time and get it over with. 

It is similar to the virtual colonoscopy in that if a polyp is deercted you still need to have the regular to have it removed, and I dont even know if the Cologuard would deterct a polyp, which is what the colonoscopy is done for in the first place.  I just dont think it is a tool of any great value. Polyp removal is what prevents cancer.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

It's not time for me to think about it yet, but reading the "horror stories" has me thinking this is not something I care to do.   There has to be a better way, and I hope they come up with something easier.    

@Tinkrbl44  I felt the same way as you..... Before my last hip replacement, they found me to be anemic. My internet said I had to have  a colonoscopy to see if I had bleeding in the Colon  causing the anemia.   I was afraid as well as dreading the prep drink. So I was forced to have the colonoscopy pretty much.

so, I had the procedure so I could have my hip surgery......and it was easy and no big deal! I had blown up this story on my mind about how awful it would be, and it was easy and simple, the  procedurewas no big deal, just an Inconvienence.   In life we must face inconvenient situations and just Do IT.  Please do not put it off! It is easy and over in just one or two days. It could save your life.  I am an advocate of this now where before I also said I would never do it. 

Oh, they found a benign polyp and I do not need to have another Colonoscopy for 10 years.  I had no bleeding and the hip surgery went on as usual. Everything is good!

Regular Contributor

I had a colonoscopy about a year and a half ago and did very well.  The prep I used was called Prepopik and it was perfectly timed and worked great, no pain , cramping, etc, just a gentle flow as you will.  I also remember feeling more clear headed that day, maybe because of the lack of food, but a real eye opener on how food really does affect your brain, and I don't eat all that much.  I was 53 years old.  

Honored Contributor

@catwhisperer wrote:

I will leave it up to the Lord as to when it is my time to go.

it is not so much "when u go", as it is "how u go".  big difference

hnj

hckynut(john)