Esteemed Contributor

Re: Colonoscopies, following John's discussion

@151949 wrote:

For someone like me who has no history and no reason to suspect any issues my insurance is encouraging the cologard test instead of the colonscopy. Fine with me.

Because they want to save their money instead of saving your life. I would demand one initial colonoscopy for a baseline and then consider the other option if no polyps were present. I have no family or personal history, either, but have had 15 polyps removed.

I know now a woman who was diagnosed with advanced colon cancer at 26, just a few months after giving birth. Things didn't seem right to her. She is still alive 20 years later, and her child got to grow up with a mom. 

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Highlighted
Respected Contributor

The new test has proven to be highly effective at detecting tumors/polyps, cheaper and less invasive.

The bottom line GET A COLONOSCOPY OR THE COLOGUARD TEST, either way it's a good thing!

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

Colonoscopy pro here too, first one ever they removed pre-cancerous polyps.  Now I'm a routine colonoscopyer, LOL .. and the prep, well Kaiser changed their routine.  You are to drink half the gallon the night before & finish 6 hours prior to exam.  Needless to say that last go around I was up all night..  My oh My!

Go VOLS
Rocky Top you'll always be home sweet home to me.. Good ole Rocky Top, Rocky Top Tennessee... Rocky Top Tennessee
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

For someone like me who has no history and no reason to suspect any issues my insurance is encouraging the cologard test instead of the colonscopy. Fine with me.

@151949, you might want to reconsider solely relying on the Cologard test.  I did just that because I had no history and wasn't deemed high risk in any way, and the test never detected a thing. Then, I had my baseline colonoscopy at 50 and lo and behold, they discovered one polyp and it had a couple of cancerous cells in it that my gastroenterologist said had been growing in me for at least 15 years. Happily, the gastro removed the polyp during my colonoscopy and I am totally fine. I am now on the frequent flyer colonoscopy plan and I'm more than happy to be!  The procedure probably saved my life.

Honored Contributor

It's not time for me to think about it yet, but reading the "horror stories" has me thinking this is not something I care to do.   There has to be a better way, and I hope they come up with something easier.    

Honored Contributor

@AspenGrove wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@151949, you might want to reconsider solely relying on the Cologard test.  I did just that because I had no history and wasn't deemed high risk in any way, and the test never detected a thing. Then, I had my baseline colonoscopy at 50 and lo and behold, they discovered one polyp and it had a couple of cancerous cells in it that my gastroenterologist said had been growing in me for at least 15 years. Happily, the gastro removed the polyp during my colonoscopy and I am totally fine. I am now on the frequent flyer colonoscopy plan and I'm more than happy to be!  The procedure probably saved my life.

I'm pretty certain I can trust a renowned institution like the Mayo Clinic to know more about this than you do.They developed this test.

Valued Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@AspenGrove wrote:

@151949 wrote:

I'm pretty certain I can trust a renowned institution like the Mayo Clinic to know more about this than you do.They developed this test.

Wow.  Just wow. Your anger duly noted. Have a lovely day.

Respected Contributor

151949 please re read your response to aspengrove, she was just giving you her thoughts with your health in mind. I don't think she deserved such a sharp toned response. She was just telling you what hapened to her. Really was a slap down.

Esteemed Contributor

@AspenGrove, your story made my day! Hooray for you! Another life saved because you did the right thing, having the colorectal test with the best track record. Keep telling your story, you might save another's life. Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@cater wrote:

151949 please re read your response to aspengrove, she was just giving you her thoughts with your health in mind. I don't think she deserved such a sharp toned response. She was just telling you what hapened to her. Really was a slap down.

@cater, just so typical of her, I have learned to ignore.