Honored Contributor

Re: Colonoscopies, following John's discussion

I juice fasted for three days with some laxative pills....so when I did the prep it was easy....I was pretty much cleaned out before I did it.  I mixed lemonade crystal lite into the gallon of prep and drank it very cold with a straw. Pretty much just gulped down each portion with the straw in seconds. Never really tasted much.  

The colonoscopy was easy. I was in a twilight sleep, They also scoped my stomach at the same time.  They found one benign polyp. Do not need another test for ten years. 

Respected Contributor

@OutofMadison wrote:

I am a senior and have been informed they are no longer offered to anyone over 70 so our family discussions are around relief (no more horrible prep) and the realization that we are not given the rountine tests that might save our lives.

@OutofMadison That's just crazy. maybe AARP needs to get something going to stand up for seniors. Would like to say didn't see this coming, but unfortunately did. 

My dad is pushing 80 and in better shape than I am! It's crazy to think that routine screening doesn't apply to those over 70. 

Esteemed Contributor

@OutofMadison wrote:

I am a senior and have been informed they are no longer offered to anyone over 70 so our family discussions are around relief (no more horrible prep) and the realization that we are not given the rountine tests that might save our lives.

@OutofMadison

Who informed you?  I'm 67, and this is the first time I've heard this. Is it because Medicare doesn't pay for the test, or some other reason?  I lost my college friend to colon cancer at the age of 39 (!) so I don't intend to stop having colonoscopies, even tho the prep is wretched for me. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

You know, with all this info and urging from one to another to take care of ourselves, this is truly a gift better than Christmas in July. Thank you one and all for the encouragement. I'm still waiting for my appt. to have this done (soon), I'm looking at it (prep) as a good cleaning of inside me and maybe lose a lb. or two. I need to see all the possibilities!! LOL

Honored Contributor

For someone like me who has no history and no reason to suspect any issues my insurance is encouraging the cologard test instead of the colonscopy. Fine with me.

Respected Contributor

I am not a fan of the Miralax prep at all.  I don't drink Gatorade or flavored drinks like that at all. 

I would rather drink the gallon of stuff. 

Anyway, people shouldn't be afraid of getting a colonoscopy.  The peace of mind is worth every trip to the bathroom.  If they do find polyps, they remove them and you're done. 

I don't think I'd be intered in the Cologard.

Respected Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

@OutofMadison wrote:

@OutofMadison

Who informed you?  I'm 67, and this is the first time I've heard this. Is it because Medicare doesn't pay for the test, or some other reason?  I lost my college friend to colon cancer at the age of 39 (!) so I don't intend to stop having colonoscopies, even tho the prep is wretched for me. 

I recently had a colonoscopy at the age of 72 and because my sister recently had colon cancer he wants me to have another one done in 5 years when I'm 77.  I never heard of an age limit.  I believe aging is a risk factor for colon cancer.  Of course, aging is a risk factor for everything.

Respected Contributor

My dad is 84 and just had a colonoscopy a couple of months ago. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm having mine tomorrow - doing the prep today. UGH. Its not fun. I consider these two days to be "throw away" days. Different GI practices use different preps. We're lucky enouygh to be able to use Miralax and Gatorade, vs. the prescription prep that you cannot even sip without vomiting. What a day!

Respected Contributor

DH and I both started this at 45 and both had precanceous polyps at that age.  We are glad we started early.