Honored Contributor

Re: Colonoscopies, following John's discussion

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Even the prep for some isn't as bad.  I've heard a lot of people say they just had to take some laxatives.  That's better than drinking "go-lightly." What a name and what a lie!  ROFLOL 

I wish my doctor believed in the easier preps.

The actual colonoscopy is a piece of cake.  The prep is a PITA. (literally)

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest

@MaggieMack is so right, if you have issues you need to be there now! I have done the other test myself, I didn't care for it but cannot discount it's importance. The new test is out there, but I wouldn't want ANYONE to wait on such an important thing, especially if you have had something going on! {{{hugs}}}

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Trusted Contributor

I'm surprised that it seems like most people have anethesia with their colonoscopy.  I had one a couple of years ago and had conscious sedation. I was totally aware of everything and watched the entire procedure on the screen.  It was painless, just felt a little gassy a couple of times while it was being done because of the air that's put into your colon.  

As everyone has said, the prep is the worst.  I had to drink all that awful liquid which made me nauseous.  When it's time for my next one I'm definitely going to ask about taking something else for the prep, that stuff is disgusting!  I would also go with the conscious sedation again.  It was interesting to watch the procedure and see just how much colon is stuffed inside your bodySmiley Surprised

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I did the go-lightly (sp?) with my last colonoscopy. It was really not bad.   I had no polyps this time. 

DH spent 5 days in the hospital after his last colonoscopy. He had to go back into surgery and get 3 or 4 units of blood. They had to cauterized, clip and stitch a polyp that they didn't do correctly the first time.

My Mom had a colonoscopy yesterday. The dr had her do gatorade and miralax.  She was not clear enough and has to have another one in 6 months.  She had some polyps.  I told her to get the go-lightly next time.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I've had one.  After reading threads here, I was scared of the prep.  Prep wasn't bad.  I ate extremely light two days before the prep. I didn't have to rush to the bathroom or stay close.  I had plenty of time to get there. The whole thing was uneventful.  Since I had two polyps removed, I do it again in 5 years.  

Valued Contributor

I had one this morning, actually. The prep was a killer this time. I had cramps, chills and it lasted until 2:30 am. I had to be at the hospital by 7:00, so the short nap I got was helpful. I took 2 Dulcolax tabs at 3pm, 2 at 4 pm and at 5pm I started drinking 64 ounces of PowerAde Zero mixed with a medium sized bottle of Miralax. 10 years ago, my doc had a much easier prep.

Respected Contributor

Here is some of the Mayo information on the newest test.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/medical-professionals/clinical-updates/digestive-diseases/cologuard-primed...

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Honored Contributor

I didn't have any trouble with the gallon prep.  No nausea or anything.  As I mentioned in a thread to Hckynut....I did feel it so next time I will go the anesthesia route.  It, however, was not discomfort I couldn't stand....just some mild cramping and pressure.

This may make a difference to you or at least I hope it does......I had one polyp.  It was not precancerous and, in fact, was the type that rarely, if ever, turns into cancer.  The one thing he did say is it was a good thing I came when I did because as big as it was, by next year..... they couldn't have taken it out right then and it would have required surgery.  You want to get them (even if they are benign) out before they get too big.

Our doctor had DH coming back for his next colonoscopy in 3 yrs. since his was pre-C.  Mine.....4yrs. since mine was benign.  This  kind of cancer is highly curable if caught early.  If I were you, and I was having trouble, I would definitely go!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@goldensrbest,

I second the suggestion for you to have the colonoscopy.  This is a life saving test that is so worth the dreaded prep.   My dad was diagnosed with stage 2 colon cancer at 54; had a colon resection and lost 18 inches of his intestine.  My dad died on the operating table, but was revived.   Recovery was very painful and difficult; actually went into a long term disability claim because of other systemic complications, and after 5 years of fighting with Social Security, my dad was classified fully disabled.   

Twenty years later the cancer came back; stage 4 rectal cancer with possible metastasis.   Surgery was done, and all went well; no colostomy, altho we had been prepared for that possibility.   My dad was stable and progressing well, until he developed a common staph infection, the type of staph we all carry on our skin, which turned septic, shut his kidneys down, and he died.   I witnessed more pain and suffering in the last week of my dads life than I'd seen up to that point in my entire life.   

I'm 60, and have had 3 colonoscopies in 12 years; all clear, no polyps.  My brothers and I understand our risk.  We also know our dad let his fears keep him from seeking testing earlier when his diagnosis might have been far less complicated.   We do our screenings without a reminder.   My dads doctor is also my doctor, so he knows my risk and how I feel about my colon health, and expects to see me every 3 1/2 years.  

I can't say I enjoy taking laxatives, or the great purge, but I do it.  The outpatient procedure is a breeze.  I went thru childbirth twice, and believe me, I expose less of myself in a colonoscopy procedure than was exposed in that delivery room when my daughters were born.   I was given Versed with my first two colonoscopies, and had Propofol for the last one, which requires monitoring by an anesthesiologist.  Both meds worked well for me.

I urge you to quit overthinking this, and just do it.   Peace of mind is priceless.   

Trusted Contributor

Colonoscopies do not hurt.  I should know.  I've had about 15 of them.

The prep is a little uncomfortable for 1 day and the test is painless. 

Now let's talk about a colon resection for cancer.   There's surgical pain for about 6 weeks, fatigue and bowel "readjustment " for a year. But the worst part is wondering every day for the next 7 to 10 years if it's going to come back.  I'm one of the lucky ones. I've been cancer free for 16 years.

My friend refused to get a colonoscopy even though I asked her multiple times. By the time she had severe abdominal pain, it was too late. It was stage 4 and she lived 2 years with chemo at a major medical center.

So please,  get a colonsocopy at 50 or if you have any symptoms.