Honored Contributor

Re: Collagen Supplements and Joint Pain

@Nonametoday 

Bless your heart.  Getting old (if you are a senior) is not all it's cracked up to be when there is acute and constant pain to deal with...your own or someone else's.  I was getting some meds mixed up after my husband's heart surgery in 2015.  Now, thank goodness, he does his own.

Honored Contributor

@wagirl 

Thank you.  Yes, I used Voltaren on my other knee with great sucess, till my knee got to certain point where it no longer helped.  I feel like the left knee has started off at that point, but, I'm going to call for a refill and try it.  

Honored Contributor

@wagirl 

boswellia and tumeric are a no-no for me Smiley Sad  

Honored Contributor

@LuvSoCal 

I just finished my 3rd glass of cold coffee with the collagen.  I'm still hoping for some relief from it.  Thanks

Trusted Contributor

I've taken collagen supplements daily for about 8 years. They've definitely helped me deal with stairs after the knee replacement surgeries. 

I'm guessing but maybe it was a couple months before I just noticed that stairs had become easier for me. I still take the collagen supplements, 2 scoops a day in my morning coffee.

I also take turmeric and have for the past few years.

No pain or stiffness! No OTC or prescription pain meds needed.

See your doctor, but also try icing!

Stress causes physical pain too, and you're under a lot of stress.❤️

Honored Contributor

You should see a doctor, not a search engine.  When my knee pain first started about 20 years ago, my orthopedic doc suggested a particular collagen supplement that MIGHT help but I didn't bother because he said it would take about 6 weeks to see if it was helping.  I opted for pain control.  All supplements take at least 4 weeks for the body to metabolize.  I'm taking a topical steroid for shoulder pain and the instructions said it would take 2 to 3 weeks for pain relief.  If you are in significant pain, collagen supplements are unlikely to help your joints.