Trusted Contributor

Never use to. I have to eat some bread or cracker with it to absorb the acid. I can only drink one cup at a time.  This comes from a major coffee lover Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

Re: Coffee bothers my stomach

Have you tried an acid reducer like Pepcid (or its generic)?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Regular Contributor

You might want to buy a different brand. Depending on where the beans come from, coffee can be really acidic or not so much.

I can't drink any Starbucks coffee because their beans are so acidic.

You might try Googling low-acid coffee brands.

HTH.

Dragonfly

Respected Contributor

I understand your love of coffee @springers , because I love the smell and taste of it, myself.  Perhaps black or green tea would be a good replacement for you, to allow your stomach to recover so you can drink an occasional cup of coffee as a reward instead of an every day drink.  (I know someone for whom this has worked.)

Esteemed Contributor

@springers wrote:

Never use to. I have to eat some bread or cracker with it to absorb the acid. I can only drink one cup at a time.  This comes from a major coffee lover Smiley Sad

It started bothering my stomach years ago and I always loved coffee too. I started drinking decaffeinated, which defeats the purpose but it did help my stomach. Also aciphex or some kind of acid reducer may help. I know drink the Folgers half caff and so far its not making me sick. 

Good luck. 

Trusted Contributor

@springers   I had the same problem when I brewed a pot of coffee. For me, when I switched to Folgers "Simply Smooth" coffee the problem went away. I don't know if they still make it but it might be worth a try.

Honored Contributor

I was just lamenting this with citrus fruit.  I wish I could find a buffer to let me indulge every once in a while without the upset. 🙁

Esteemed Contributor

Before I blamed the coffee, I would first check everything that went on around it.

New label?  New grind?  New brewing method?  New types of additions?  New filters?       New prescriptions?       New foods?

Doctor gave one pill that just did a number on me and I made him change it. A girl has to have some say in the matter.

Respected Contributor

@grandma2pkmh wrote:

@springers   I had the same problem when I brewed a pot of coffee. For me, when I switched to Folgers "Simply Smooth" coffee the problem went away. I don't know if they still make it but it might be worth a try.

My daughter in law and I were having the same problem .. we both switched

to Simply Smooth .. and no more problems .. its really good .....

Trusted Contributor

I have been buying "Simply Smooth" by Folgers and it seems to be Ok for me. It used to be in the stores but I have to get it on Amazon now. But it has allowed me to drink coffee again. Maybe you could try that.