Respected Contributor

Coconut for healing... update

I started a thread about using coconut for healing and got many answers from yes, it works, to no its crazy.   Well, my update.  Got a syte and went to the doctor in January. Recieved antibiotics and cream for the eye.  Antibiotic ate up my stomach and had to quit but continued the antibiotic cream for months with no resolution to the stye problem which by now was a hard knot.

I bought Bruce Fife's book The Coconut oil miracle, and started ingesting 1 T per day for two weeks.  I woke up to find the stye had popped during the night and the whole thing is now gone.  

Respected Contributor

Re: Coconut for healing... update

Thanks for posting this. I have been oil pulling with coconut oil to help my gums but never considered taking it internally. I ordered the book from Amazon.
Honored Contributor

'All I can say' is that coconut oil has a few properties:  anti-microbial, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal............So, 'it seems to me' that applying it to skin surfaces would be almost as effective as various salves/ointments for various skin irritations.  And, it possibly works from within, too.  It is a possibility, in other words.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Does anyone know if coconut oil is good for dry brittle nails?

Esteemed Contributor

@jubilant:
I went gluten free three or four months ago using the plan detailed in Wheat Belly and Grain Brain and both recommend adding coconut oil to the eating plan, which I did. I did it simply to improve my life, not fix anything, but my biggest surprise was the day I realized my dry, brittle nails weren't dry and brittle anymore, but actually growing long enough I had to cut them. That never happens to my nails! I eat a tbsp of CO (extra virgin, pure, unrefined) straight from the jar every day. I thought it would be like eating lard but it's actually quite tasty.
No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop
Honored Contributor

I had 2 small but maddening patches diagnosed as exzcema, one on my ankle and one behind my ear. I use coconut oil for frying, and began to melt a little extra and wipe it out of the pan before adding my eggs, and applying it to my skin.
The exczema had bothered me for a year, and went away after a week of coconut oil.
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use Nutiva Organic Virgin Coconut Oil.  I put a spoonful in each  2 or 3 cups of organic coffee every morning.  I also randomly whenever I feel like it use on my skin, nails and to condition my hair before shampooing.  I used to oil pull every day....now I just do it a couple of times a week.  I love it and think I have benefited from using it.  I read the Fife book.  I also read Dr. Perlmutter's (neurologist....author of Grain Brain and Brain Maker) web site, etc., and he promotes this for fuel for the brain instead of sugar.  I do try to lay off obvious sugar....try to stay with low sugar fruit like the berries (blueberries being a fave).

My sister bought a book at Sam's about coconut oil (she was aware that I put it in my coffee when I visited her) and she began taking it.  Several weeks later at a visit with her nephrologist, she mentioned using this in her coffee and cooking with it a bit, and he hit the roof.  She said he pulled up something on his laptop and said no, no, no.....stay with olive oil.

I really think that my whole gastrointestinal system has benefited from taking it.....and I love what it does for my skin.  

Edited to add:  Also, love using it on my nails....I'll take all polish off and do a home manicure and just keep the coconut oil rubbed into my hands and nails for a day or two before I put clear polish back on.  I love looking at them when the oil has soaked in.  They look very healthy.  And after, I have polish on, I rub into cuticles when I think of it.  I believe that it has really helped my nails.

Honored Contributor

Yes, it is. Almost any oil is, really. Jojoba, almond, argan, olive, coconut, walnut, safflower, apricot, grape seed, etc.. It's hard to go wrong, really.

Valued Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

Yes, it is. Almost any oil is, really. Jojoba, almond, argan, olive, coconut, walnut, safflower, apricot, grape seed, etc.. It's hard to go wrong, really.

I'm a big user of Josie Maran's argan oil and argan butters too.  Love the stuff on my face and body.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]
I would never, ever, ingest oil...coconut, olive or any other kind of processed oil.

Oil causes inflammation of the arterial wall....and injures the endothelium which plays an important part of a heart healthy life.

"I don't have heart disease!" The first sign of heart disease for many...is a heart attack. We all have some degree of plaque...just takes a weak link in the arterial wall for a heart attack/stroke.