Super Contributor

Re: Coach K, now there's a classy guy!

On 2/2/2015 number one queen said: Hey, The Pats head coach is what he is and he has given us our 4th Championship, he may not smile and be the happy good looking coach, but he delivers!
I believe this thread is about the Duke men's basketball team's head coach: Coach K.
Trusted Contributor

My family and I have been Duke fans for many, many years. Even during the lean years before all the winning seasons. To the point of Coach K being a class act, yes he is. My son went to Duke basketball camp when he was young and Coach K always came to greet the young boys, take pics, and sign autographs. Wonderful memories for young ones. And, older ones too! It's quite an accomplishment to have that many wins under your belt and stay at the same school for 35 yrs. I would like to think that Pat Summit was honored at the time of her accomplishment. She's been retired for several years but another phenonomenal coach.
Honored Contributor

On 2/2/2015 number one queen said: Hey, The Pats head coach is what he is and he has given us our 4th Championship, he may not smile and be the happy good looking coach, but he delivers!

Absolutely. He might've made a few blunders along the way, as most coaches do, but the man knows what he's doing... That's far more important than a high warm and fuzzy quotient... If I were an owner, he'd be my top choice.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

Coach K is indeed very much a class act. But someone mentioned "college male dominated sports", and basketball definitely is that.

However, if anyone would be interested in a very inspirational story about a very classy women's basketball coach, you need to read about Kay Yow. Born and raised in NC, she was the Head Coach of the NC State Wolfpack Women's Basketball Team from 1975 to 2009. She lead her teams to five ACC Regular Season Championships, four ACC Tournament Championships, and lead the U.S. Women's Basketball Team to an Olympic Gold Medal in 1988, in spite of being diagnosed with breast cancer in 1987. She was one classy, talented, determined woman who continued her coaching career until a few months before she lost her fight to breast cancer in 2009.

Yow also coached the silver-medal-winning U.S. women's basketball team in the 1981 World University Games; the 1986 gold-winning U.S. teams in the Goodwill Games and the FIBA World Championship; and the gold-medal-winning U.S. women's basketball team in the 1988 Seoul Olympics.

If interested, you can read about her very inspirational story at: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/columns/story?id=3853652

Respected Contributor

We live probably about 10 miles or so from Coach K. I've never seen him in a restaurant or shopping. DH and I were in Vegas several years ago walking through Caesar's and he stopped me and said, "wasn't that Coach K who just passed us?". I turned around and sure enough it was Mike and his wife plus a few others.

BTW, I used to see Dean Smith at the movies and Jim Valvano, may he RIP, around town, but never saw Coach K until Vegas!