Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@HappyDaze

I don't save them.  I just read.  Most are from searches on PubMed.gov and others are from news articles that cite studies and then I google the actual study.

yeah I tried to look some up as I have access to many scientific journals but couldn't really find any. Oh well, thanks anyway.

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

For those that take CoQ10 and feel more energetic, how long was it before you felt more energetic?

We started on CoQ10 about a week ago (I bought some from NOW foods- ubiquinol- because it was taking so long for the AL ones to come) and hubby seems to be more energetic as those meds were kicking his butt sometimes. That could be just his body getting used to the meds though too, hard to say. He doesn't even really know what I am giving him- I just hand him a pill and he takes it, lol.

The dogs are getting some now too. Odd thing is, my one dog who has been having incontinence issues and drinking alot has now made it through a full 24+ hours without a single accident (he wears belly bands just in case) and is drinking much less. I have no idea if this is at all related or if it will last but it is unusual that his symptoms have improved because normally things like this don't come and go- they just stay the same or get progressively worse.

@HappyDaze make sure that you and your husband take your CoQ10 at mealtime with a little bit of oil (e.g. coconut, olive, etc.) becasue CoQ10 is fat soluble. If there's not fat in your meal then your body won't be able to absorb the CoQ10. 

Technically, most meals have some fat in them, but I like to hedge my bets and make sure a but of liquid fat is present. 

I've been out with a cold this week so I've only been sporadically replying to posts. 

With regard to the CoQ10 blood thinning effects, while it's always best to check with your cardiologist about it, I don't think that it has that effect on most people. 

I don't remember reading about CoQ10 and significant blood thinning effects. I also called Procaps Labs a few times, and no one had heard about blood thinning issues. Andrew trains his people for 3-4 months before they are even allowed to go on the phone, and training is ongoing. 

I'm guessing that obviously there have been some scattered reports of blood thinning with regard to CoQ10... but that's for a a huge population. So it's probably not significant... unless, of course, it happens to be you. 

Also with the issue of blood thinning, there are always many levels of degree and a lot of them are very minor. 

Websites tend to give blanket statements about side effects without going into much degree, so it's difficult to say how significant it is. 

Here's my own experience. Omega-3 can have blood thinning effects. On occasion, I've taken as much as 4 grams of Omega-3 a day without any ill effects (the normal dose is 500mg to 1gm). 

On occasion (just to see how it would feel) I've taken up to 1000mg of CoQ10 a day without any ill effects. 

In contrast, after I broke my arm in March and had surgery, the anesthesia failed after 1.5 hours and I was in horrific pain (I passed out for a while from the pain). -- So when I went home, I took a massive dose of Turmeric (even though I knew better, becasue they didn't give me much for the pain). Maybe 2,000mgs which is five times the regular dosage. 

The next day I cut myself and the cut took longer to congeal... because turmeric also has blood thinning effects. I stopped taking the turmeric for a few days and then I started taking 800mgs daily and I was fine. 

This stuff is all a matter of degrees but, as always, have a talk with your doctor. 

That said, I think everything will be fine. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

But @bebe777 you aren't taking a prescription blood thinner.

The point is, the combination of the two is what the warnings are for. 

For me, personally, I take several supplements that do or may thin blood.  Individually, they may not be a problem for me. Cumulatively, they may.

Hence, I stop them several days before any dental work or blood work to avoid unnecessary bleeding.  I personally don't plan to test the theory or the evidence to prove them right or wrong.

If something says it may thin the blood, then I take that under advisement and act accordingly.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@bebe777

I hope you're feeling better soon.  It's no fun to be sick Smiley Sad

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Another area where I don't take chances is with antibiotics and BCPs.  There's a lot of controversy as to whether some antibiotics interfere with the effectiveness of some BCPs.

I don't want to test that theory either.  I can live for a cycle with alternative means or abstaining.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@bebe777 awww, sorry about being sick! I hope you feel better soon, my friend! And thank you for all that information. My hubby is currently on two blood thinners (baby asprin and a Rx) and doctors are perfectly fine with the CoQ10 and, in fact, said that it is great to help the heart heal and also it helps many patients who take lipitor not suffer the side effects of it. They recommend taking the CoQ10 a half hour before the lipitor to help lessen the side effects. Since doing this, hubby has experienced less side effects, which weren't terrible but every little bit helps. I already spoke with them about the possibility of the CoQ10 causing the blood to thin more and they said there aren't really any good studies indicating as such and, in fact, many more studies showing this is not the case.  But everyone needs to do what their particular cardiologist recommends for them. Feel better soon!!

Esteemed Contributor

To the new people taking the CoQ10..... anything to report? I am new to it.

I don't take it every day. Just like I didn't take a multivitamin daily. I take the calicum & eye suppliment twice a day.

I couldn't sleep last night.  It may very well just be from stress.  Also very yellow (you know) sorry for TMI

Honored Contributor

@Mary Bailey wrote:

To the new people taking the CoQ10..... anything to report? I am new to it.

I don't take it every day. Just like I didn't take a multivitamin daily. I take the calicum & eye suppliment twice a day.

I couldn't sleep last night.  It may very well just be from stress.  Also very yellow (you know) sorry for TMI

I am new and I posted our (hubby, me and dogs) results so far after about a week.

Honored Contributor

just a reminder... 

CoQ10 is fat soluble so make sure to have a bit of fat when you take it.

I usually take 1/2 teaspoon of coconut oil or olive oil with is (maybe 20 calories). 

Otherwise the body can't absorb it. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy