Esteemed Contributor

I purchased this TS simply because while watching the show on Saturday night. (Southern California)  Andrew mentioned that one of the side effects that have been noted with taking this supplement is an improvement with gingivitis/periodontal disease. Ding...ding..ding.

Although, I brush and floss two to three times a day, I suffer from this and regularly have to have deep cleanings which are no fun.

I am hoping that this helps. Since, we are in the extended return period. I will take one a day up until January to see if I have any improvement, if not back it goes.

Honored Contributor

@icezeus wrote:

I purchased this TS simply because while watching the show on Saturday night. (Southern California)  Andrew mentioned that one of the side effects that have been noted with taking this supplement is an improvement with gingivitis/periodontal disease. Ding...ding..ding.

Although, I brush and floss two to three times a day, I suffer from this and regularly have to have deep cleanings which are no fun.

I am hoping that this helps. Since, we are in the extended return period. I will take one a day up until January to see if I have any improvement, if not back it goes.

@icezeus

I saw that chart as well and have it on my list to look at research on it.

I don't have gum problems, but oral hygiene and heart disease are linked, so I always like to keep things like that at bay.  I actually go 3x a year for cleanings vs 2.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@MoJoV wrote:

I'm an admitted know-nothing on CoQ 10, never purchased it. But didn't I read that a person should not take this supplement for any length of time? If that is true,I wonder why. I'm extremely wary of taking anything.  Just quirky that way.  

If you read Mayo Clinic (which gives a lengthy summary of all of the ailments it has been studied for), you will see that the length of time that each ailment was studied was only a few months to a year.

The study I read was a study of CoQ10 studies on cardiovascular disease.  It looked at the 10 studies (some good, some not so good) and their results.  The dosages were 30-200mg and for short periods of time and it had no effect on cardiovascular disease.

There is no long-term study (like, say, the Nurses Study) on CoQ10 that I found.

Everything that's been studied is in the 200mg range, so that's why I'm keeping to that general amount.

There are studies where the doses were huge to see if they impact Parkinsons and Alzheimers and other diseases.  My family history is Cardiovascular, so that's where I tend to read and tailor my supplements to.

If I had Parkinsons or something in my family, I would look at the studies for those and tailor accordingly.

There are warnings as well.  CoQ10 may be a blood thinner, so you do need to watch if you take blood thinners (and if you take anything like Advil, etc.).  I tend to stop all supplements that thin the blood a few days before dental work and blood work just to avoid unnecessary excess bleeding.

There is also a warning if you are trying to conceive.

No evidence of that according to my husband's cardiologist. He is on two blood thinners right now and they highly recommend the CoQ10. No worries about more blood thinning using CoQ10.

There is evidence (both anecdotal for me and factual).

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

I bought my Q10, legs support and Tumeric 400.

I am a big believer in Q10. It supports your gum tissue too. I am a hygienist and recommend it to my patients all the time. 

Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@MoJoV wrote:

I'm an admitted know-nothing on CoQ 10, never purchased it. But didn't I read that a person should not take this supplement for any length of time? If that is true,I wonder why. I'm extremely wary of taking anything.  Just quirky that way.  

If you read Mayo Clinic (which gives a lengthy summary of all of the ailments it has been studied for), you will see that the length of time that each ailment was studied was only a few months to a year.

The study I read was a study of CoQ10 studies on cardiovascular disease.  It looked at the 10 studies (some good, some not so good) and their results.  The dosages were 30-200mg and for short periods of time and it had no effect on cardiovascular disease.

There is no long-term study (like, say, the Nurses Study) on CoQ10 that I found.

Everything that's been studied is in the 200mg range, so that's why I'm keeping to that general amount.

There are studies where the doses were huge to see if they impact Parkinsons and Alzheimers and other diseases.  My family history is Cardiovascular, so that's where I tend to read and tailor my supplements to.

If I had Parkinsons or something in my family, I would look at the studies for those and tailor accordingly.

There are warnings as well.  CoQ10 may be a blood thinner, so you do need to watch if you take blood thinners (and if you take anything like Advil, etc.).  I tend to stop all supplements that thin the blood a few days before dental work and blood work just to avoid unnecessary excess bleeding.

No evidence of that according to my husband's cardiologist. He is on two blood thinners right now and they highly recommend the CoQ10. No worries about more blood thinning using CoQ10.

Would you mind sharing the scientific studies with me? I'd like to read them and discuss with my husband's cardiologist. It could be that perhaps there are a few studies indicating a potential thinning but the majority do not, including some follow up studies to the ones you mention are out there. TIA!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: CoQ10 - Coenzyme Q-10

[ Edited ]

I bought the 600. 

Day 1 today for DH & me. 

I take no meds (just AL supplements) & DH is on high blood pressure & cholesterol meds.

I'm especially hopeful for DH he's so tired on his meds & an exhaustive job.  He had a stroke 10 years ago at age 50, but fully recovered. He had afib corrected surgically soon after the stroke.  He just started on meds about 6-9 months ago.

fingers crossed. 

Honored Contributor

Today is Day 1 taking 2 CoQ10 per day, too. I'd been taking one per day but ran out a while back. I don't take any prescription meds either; just supplements, mostly ProCaps.

Honored Contributor

Re: CoQ10 - Coenzyme Q-10

[ Edited ]

@HappyDaze wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@HappyDaze wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

@MoJoV wrote:

@VaBelle35 Would you mind sharing the scientific studies with me? I'd like to read them and discuss with my husband's cardiologist. It could be that perhaps there are a few studies indicating a potential thinning but the majority do not, including some follow up studies to the ones you mention are out there. TIA!

Honored Contributor

For those that take CoQ10 and feel more energetic, how long was it before you felt more energetic?

We started on CoQ10 about a week ago (I bought some from NOW foods- ubiquinol- because it was taking so long for the AL ones to come) and hubby seems to be more energetic as those meds were kicking his butt sometimes. That could be just his body getting used to the meds though too, hard to say. He doesn't even really know what I am giving him- I just hand him a pill and he takes it, lol.

The dogs are getting some now too. Odd thing is, my one dog who has been having incontinence issues and drinking alot has now made it through a full 24+ hours without a single accident (he wears belly bands just in case) and is drinking much less. I have no idea if this is at all related or if it will last but it is unusual that his symptoms have improved because normally things like this don't come and go- they just stay the same or get progressively worse.

Honored Contributor

@HappyDaze

I don't save them.  I just read.  Most are from searches on PubMed.gov and others are from news articles that cite studies and then I google the actual study.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN