Honored Contributor

Climate change causing increase in Lyme Disease

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/lyme-disease-seaso_us_58c1e704e4b0d1078ca584f5?mjhe61or&

The warmer the earth gets, the more of this we will see.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

Re: Climate change causing increase in Lyme Disease

I always go to HuffPo for scientific research.

I won't be losing any sleep.

SMH

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@LilacTree

I just wanted to mention that there are spray products specifically for ticks that you spray on your clothing available online.

One company has a service when you can send items of clothing (if you wear particular items of clothing when you're likely to be exposed to ticks)  to be saturated in it, then returned to you.

My DH is into 'Geocaching' (think scavenger hunt, but using GPS coordinates to find the 'cache') and he goes through lots of wooded areas.

The first time he came home with a tick, I told him he better find a solution or another hobby, LOL!

Haven't seen a single one since he started using this spray and he also sent in 1 pair of jeans, 2 certain shirts and 2 pair of socks to be treated.

The soaking method lasts for many many washings and I just marked those items with a 'T', so I would know which ones are 'tick' clothes, LOL!

He's off geocaching now, but when he returns, I'll return with the product name, etc.

I know there's a lot of tick repellent products out there, but I know for a fact that this one works!

P.S...... Where's your new avatar with your new haircut! Do you like it?

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Frequent Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@LilacTree

I just wanted to mention that there are spray products specifically for ticks that you spray on your clothing available online.

One company has a service when you can send items of clothing (if you wear particular items of clothing when you're likely to be exposed to ticks)  to be saturated in it, then returned to you.

My DH is into 'Geocaching' (think scavenger hunt, but using GPS coordinates to find the 'cache') and he goes through lots of wooded areas.

The first time he came home with a tick, I told him he better find a solution or another hobby, LOL!

Haven't seen a single one since he started using this spray and he also sent in 1 pair of jeans, 2 certain shirts and 2 pair of socks to be treated.

The soaking method lasts for many many washings and I just marked those items with a 'T', so I would know which ones are 'tick' clothes, LOL!

He's off geocaching now, but when he returns, I'll return with the product name, etc.

I know there's a lot of tick repellent products out there, but I know for a fact that this one works!

Thanks for that info.

I would imagine this spray treatment is rather toxic and may have unwanted side effects for the wearer, pets etc.

If you google essential oil recipe for ticks or along those lines you can make your own natural formula and put it in a spray bottle and spray your shoes and pants as needed. Safer for you and the Earth. Heart

I had lyme and have been disabled for several years. This is a serious issue.

Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@LilacTree

@KingstonsMom

I didn't know this and will pass it on to my daughter.  Unfortunately, it is too late for her . . . she has had this disease inside her almost all of her life.  The IV treatments are helping, but it takes a long time.

As far as my hair, I cut six inches off it myself last week.  It's not how I want it yet, I can cut it but I can't "style cut" it.  I have to wait for my daughter to do that and she has not been up to it.  It's a relief though to have so much of it gone.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

DH was an avid yard man - loved to be among his flowers and bushes when he was feeling well. A few years before he passed, he came in with a very small tick on his shoulder.  Out of habit I put it into one of those old pill bottles with a top. He didn't have any after effects so I eventually threw it out.  Several months later, he had a broken blood vessel, pneumonia and a very red rash at the same time. The doctor ordered blood work, so just on a whim I asked him to also check for Lyme Disease.  Two weeks later, the blood work came back positive. He did well and was released in a week. He did not receive any follow up work for the LD.

When he was hospitalized last year with congestive heart failure, he broke out in the most incredible rash - looked like a 3x case of German Measles. More of his skin was red than normal color. Not a raised rash, The hospital sent in a Dermatologist, who decided he had food alergies - which he had never had in his 97 years. I told her it was a rash caused by LD.  She looked at me as though I had an empty skull, and said, "There has not been a case of Lyme Disease diagnosed in this Parish in the last 20 years". I told  her about DH's experience, and that his LD had been diagnosed in that very hospital. She not politely told me that I was badly misinformed,  and marched out of the room. 

Two days later, she returned looking a bit awkward.  She had gone thru his old records and found exactly what I told her.  Just a word to the wise. If you are bitten by a tick, save the critter. Any problems arise, make sure you are checked for Lyme Disease.  Two friends have had it, and suffered for years. One says she was recently diagnosed as cured, after almost 30 years.

Honored Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

DH was an avid yard man - loved to be among his flowers and bushes when he was feeling well. A few years before he passed, he came in with a very small tick on his shoulder.  Out of habit I put it into one of those old pill bottles with a top. He didn't have any after effects so I eventually threw it out.  Several months later, he had a broken blood vessel, pneumonia and a very red rash at the same time. The doctor ordered blood work, so just on a whim I asked him to also check for Lyme Disease.  Two weeks later, the blood work came back positive. He did well and was released in a week. He did not receive any follow up work for the LD.

When he was hospitalized last year with congestive heart failure, he broke out in the most incredible rash - looked like a 3x case of German Measles. More of his skin was red than normal color. Not a raised rash, The hospital sent in a Dermatologist, who decided he had food alergies - which he had never had in his 97 years. I told her it was a rash caused by LD.  She looked at me as though I had an empty skull, and said, "There has not been a case of Lyme Disease diagnosed in this Parish in the last 20 years". I told  her about DH's experience, and that his LD had been diagnosed in that very hospital. She not politely told me that I was badly misinformed,  and marched out of the room. 

Two days later, she returned looking a bit awkward.  She had gone thru his old records and found exactly what I told her.  Just a word to the wise. If you are bitten by a tick, save the critter. Any problems arise, make sure you are checked for Lyme Disease.  Two friends have had it, and suffered for years. One says she was recently diagnosed as cured, after almost 30 years.

@Perkup

There's so much we don't know about this disease and how it is transmitted.  My daughter has the borrelia burgdoferi type, but there are many other types.  Each one affects the body differently. 

What confuses me is why the mere mention of it makes many medical personnel so negative and even angry.  We have been in doctors' offices where they even laugh if my daughter mentions that she has chronic Lyme Disease.  She doesn't do that anymore, it is too upsetting.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My rheumy has treated PTLDS patients. She believes the condition is an autoimmune disorder and that it has life-long health implications. I find her view of this condition very compelling because in medical history there have been other microorganisms that have also induced an abnormal immune response.

I think in general we are going to see more insect-vector diseases as the weather becomes warmer.  I just heard that Yellow Fever is on the rise, a mosquito-transmitted virus from SA.

Esteemed Contributor

Lyme disease and the ticks that carry the disease were on the local TV station today.  It is the tiny ticks, compared to a poppy seed, and they get the disease from biting mice first.  

The weather has not been cold enough to kill the ticks for a while.

" For freezing temperatures to actually kill ticks, there must be a sustained number of days below 10 degrees F. This happens less often as our winters, in general, are warmer than they used to be. Even then, any tick that has attached to a deer will be kept warm by the animal’s body heat and will easily survive a cold snap."