Respected Contributor

Classical stretch-Miranda Edmond-White

If anyone does this type of exercise,  how did you get started?  I have tried following her on PBS but its too fast. Also borrowed a book from the library but that is not enough instuction.  So I have tried several of her shorter versions on YouTube.  It seems that you must give it alot of time to get used to the moves and get a rythymn going.  I will keep going cause of all the positive reviews she gets.  I just wish she had a Q&A option to get some advice. I think her philosophy is a good one and I hope to see results!

Frequent Contributor

Re: Classical stretch-Miranda Edmond-White

Can you record one of the programs off pbs?  I too often cannot follow exercise videos because I think they are too fast.  If I record something and do it several days in a row I get better at it though, then I move on to another video.  Many moves repeat, so I do think it is possible to "learn" 

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bargainsgirl  It took time for me too. I did too much at once trying to keep up. So what I did was I purchased a season of her DVD's (before I had dvr to record) off EBay (less expensive than her site).  I agree, having a recording is great! I just did what I could at my own pace and stopped worrying about getting the moves down perfectly. I  saw results with my posture, fitness,  arthritis pain, etc even with a slower pace. . Now I have my rhythm going 😊  Just give it time&record if you can.  You will do great!

Respected Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

If anyone does this type of exercise,  how did you get started?  I have tried following her on PBS but its too fast. Also borrowed a book from the library but that is not enough instuction.  So I have tried several of her shorter versions on YouTube.  It seems that you must give it alot of time to get used to the moves and get a rythymn going.  I will keep going cause of all the positive reviews she gets.  I just wish she had a Q&A option to get some advice. I think her philosophy is a good one and I hope to see results!

The Essentrics TV website allows you to watch all of the videos for a monthly fee. They also offer a free trial.

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

@bargainsgirl wrote:

The Essentrics TV website allows you to watch all of the videos for a monthly fee. They also offer a free trial.

I have a subscription and I really love it. It is worth the money IMO.

I've been doing her workouts for well over half a year now. To @bargainsgirl, you just start by barely doing the moves. And stopping and starting and not doing anything that well in the beginning. Just trying is enough.

And then gradually you can do the moves. Over time you notice that many of the movements are repeated on different shows. So you'll get a chance to do the same sequence again later if you don't get it the first time.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Super Contributor

I started when she was having a free short daily class on facebook live in Spring 2020 during lockdown. Then I subscribed to the website. On the website there are many categories of classes. They list if they are slow or faster. Plus there are beginner classes. 

Esteemed Contributor

We used to have new people start yoga and they were always told to just do what they could.  Fewer reps and not so much stretching.  It always took a while to learn the sequences too.

After a while they were old pros.

Valued Contributor

If you're going to try one of her DVDs, I recommend Season 11. She goes back to the basics for beginners. It's slower paced, and she explains proper positioning. I too suggest you repeat a particular workout each day for a few days. Once you're comfortable with the moves, go to the next workout. BTW, her website discounts the DVDs by 30% a few times a year.
Honored Contributor

One thing they don't tell you when you are a complete beginner to exercising (or like me, someone who sometimes takes long breaks from it) is that it helps to strengthen your major muscle groups first before starting a regular routine.

It's hard to hold most positions in workouts if you have no strength in your abs, legs, or arms. I mean, try to do donkey kicks or side bends as a genuine beginner...it is exhausting and a workout in itself just trying to hold yourself in correct form.

When I've stopped exercising for a while and want to get back into it, I do a very basic traditional beginners toning workout for older people for a few weeks to a month before trying to do anything more complicated. I don't even do cardio until I get some of my strength back. Without basic strength you can hurt yourself doing low impact or marching cardio, which sets you back even worse. Learned that the hard way.

Also, I'd mention that if a workout says it's for beginners -- if it doesn't specify an age group or physical condition, that can mean it is meant for a beginner who is in her 20s or 30s. And a beginner in her 20s or 30s has a completely different baseline than a beginner over 45 and way beyond.

Fabulous over 50 on Youtube has some good free beginner workouts.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Respected Contributor

I have tried doing classical stretch via YouTube for the past 3 weeks.  I must say I do not have any luck with it.  I have left hip bursitis and the moves and the hip exercises seem to be making this worse!  I have decided to go back to my  Pilates machine, accupuncture and doing the exercises recommended by my accupuncturist and chiropractor.  So far I am having much better results. I think the philosphy is a good one but just maybe there are more ways to keep moving then Miranda's way.