Honored Contributor

Re: Cinnamon lowers blood sugar?

@MoJoV wrote:

I was talking to my brother who has diabetes yesterday.  He has been taking cinnamon capsules and his A1 C was down last visit.  He takes Metformin.

I am diabetic too, but no meds or insulin. Controlled with diet and much exercise.  Does anyone take cinnamon here? 

How long has he been taking Metformin?  That alone will lower A1C numbers, not a lot but some.

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

@MoJoV 

I took them for 8 mos. 2 per day as directed.

My friend insisted it would lower my blood sugar.

My blood sugar did NOT go down one single point.

They are large and hard to swallow for me.  Needed to be taken With a meal or they would repeat terrible.

I will finish the few I have but never buy again.

I watch my diet very closely, but it hasn't helped.

Next I am trying Apple Cider.

Unless you know how to pair carbs with fat and protein watching your diet probably isn't going to help a lot.  

Do you take any drugs prescribed for diabetes?

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

@RespectLife wrote:

@MoJoV 

I took them for 8 mos. 2 per day as directed.

My friend insisted it would lower my blood sugar.

My blood sugar did NOT go down one single point.

They are large and hard to swallow for me.  Needed to be taken With a meal or they would repeat terrible.

I will finish the few I have but never buy again.

I watch my diet very closely, but it hasn't helped.

Next I am trying Apple Cider.

Unless you know how to pair carbs with fat and protein watching your diet probably isn't going to help a lot.  

Do you take any drugs prescribed for diabetes?

@CelticCrafter 

I do not.

My glucose has been higher than it should be in my blood work for a year now.

108 was my last blood work a couple weeks ago.  She wants me under 100

That was after 8 mos of Cinn. AND following my docs suggestions on diet.

My doc has given me dietary instructions.  I have been following it AND took the Cinnamon w/ Chromium....and my last work saw NO improvement at all.

No one is panicking yet, but it is too high.

Honored Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

Put some tennis shoes on and begin to walk. Walking has huge benefits to everyone! Cinnamon is the lazy way out. Ask your doctor and he'll tell you the same thing that I just did. Skip the cinnamon and do some exercise.

@ID2 

My doctor would tell me not to take advice from QVC posters, to use the insulin as directed and cinnamon on my food if I liked it but not to depend on it for lowering blood sugar and if I walk, not to power walk because my osteoporosis is so bad.  Therefore, do not take instructions from QVC or any other posters who are not privy to your health information or proper medical knowledge.

Honored Contributor

@MoJoV 

Don't know anything about blood sugar effects, but here's something some people might like to know ....

Cinnamon is a warming spice.  I was an avid skiier when I lived in Western New York.  Every year, beginning in early November, I started taking cinnamon up until March, or when our skiing season ended.

If anyone here is always chilled, gets cold easily, or just lives in a cold climate, TAKE CINNAMON .... suddenly your hands and feet won't be so cold, and you don't chill as quickly if outside in the cold ....  give the capsules a week to ten days to "warm up" your system.

Well worth whatever they cost.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@MoJoV 

Don't know anything about blood sugar effects, but here's something some people might like to know ....

Cinnamon is a warming spice.  I was an avid skiier when I lived in Western New York.  Every year, beginning in early November, I started taking cinnamon up until March, or when our skiing season ended.

If anyone here is always chilled, gets cold easily, or just lives in a cold climate, TAKE CINNAMON .... suddenly your hands and feet won't be so cold, and you don't chill as quickly if outside in the cold ....  give the capsules a week to ten days to "warm up" your system.

Cinnamon is a vasodilator meaning it opens up the blood vessels allowing for more blood flow. More blood flow means better circulation and warmth.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I take 2 Cinnamon caps daily, it does help to keep blood sugar down, but as stated before, be sure it is Ceylon cinnamon or True cinnamon, not Cassia bark. Too

much Cassia can be damaging to your insides. 

@Shelbelle  just checked Amazon and there are so many different Brands. Could you please tell me which Brand you prefer?

I've also heard it's good for inflamation. I've had Cervical Spine Fusion and every now and then my neck becomes inflamed and it hurts.

Would like to try this rather than taking precription medication.

Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@MoJoV 

Cinnamon is a vasodilator meaning it opens up the blood vessels allowing for more blood flow. More blood flow means better circulation and warmth.

@SilleeMee 

Yes, I agree ... but the warming herbs also help ... cinnamon and ginger come to mind ... of course there are all those in the hot pepper family that add warmth ... capsacin, etc etc etc.

Honored Contributor

I take a ceylon cinnamon supplement as a preventative. I do not have blood sugar problems... but take things to prevent disease and support my body.