Respected Contributor

Cinnamon Supplements & Blood Sugar

For the first time in my life, my recent blood test showed elevated triglycerides.

Danger sign for elevated blood sugar.

Both of my parents, late in life, developed Type 2 diabetes.

I am a plant-based eater and have not consumed desserts, sweets, chocolates, even fruit juices for a long time. However, I am a researcher. So I wanted to see what I could do to reduce my triglyceride levels (other than a prescription).

Two things: Exercise. Cinnamon (bark) supplements.

A few new studies support the cinnamon supplements.

But it's a challenge to find the BEST supplements.

I bought Andrew Lexman's Cinnamon 400, but research shows that 400 mg isn't enough and he doesn't suggest an amount—though studies show at least 1 gram needed.

Checked reviews (best ofs). So many choices. Ceylon type considered the best, in general.

Finally found one that is consistently highly reviewed, reasonable price. No fillers.

NutriFlair Organic Ceylon Cinnamon (100% Certified Organic Ceylon Cinnamon) 1200mg per Serving.

Screen Shot 2022-11-22 at 8.34.37 AM.png

My doctors (large medical organization) do not name/recommend specific supplements; for a variety of reasons, I suspect.

However, I'm hoping some of YOU have experience you might share.

I'm sure there are other supplements with high reviews.

(The Andrew Lessman I have just doesn't work with the research, though I love his other supplements)

Respected Contributor

Re: Cinnamon Supplements & Blood Sugar

Added:

I only mentioned exercise & cinnamon from the list of how to reduce triglycerides, because I don't fit the other interventions (I am slender, don't smoke/drink).

Honored Contributor

I have been taking Ceylon cinnamon capsules for several years. Figure it could not hurt. I do not eat  alot of sugar, but try to take supplements that will help to control it as I age. If it helps with triglycerides too that is a good thing.

Respected Contributor

If you like Lessman's cinnamon, take 2 or 3 a day if you wish to boost the dosage.  If I'm taking more than one of something, I take one in the morning, one at night.

Respected Contributor

@Another new name Sue wrote:

If you like Lessman's cinnamon, take 2 or 3 a day if you wish to boost the dosage.  If I'm taking more than one of something, I take one in the morning, one at night.

@Another new name Sue   I did think of that, but I'd have to take at least 3 and with the new one, just 1.

*** I already take many Lessman supps and not interested in adding.

Since SO may available cinnamon supps are well-reviewed and are one capsule at least 1200—I suspect Andrew just hasn't developed the single capsule YET.

Smiles.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I have been taking Ceylon cinnamon capsules for several years. Figure it could not hurt. I do not eat  alot of sugar, but try to take supplements that will help to control it as I age. If it helps with triglycerides too that is a good thing.

@SeaMaiden   You are well ahead of the aging-well game!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Of all the supplements that I have taken to help manage my blood sugar and lipids, it's berberine which has proven to me to be the most effective. I have lab tests to prove it. 

Berberine manages sugar and lipids very well and there are no significant or serious side effects. There are several NIH publication regarding its use...most very promising. The FDA is considering a formulation using berberine as a glucose/lipid controlling drug. Research has been in the works for quite some time.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

Of all the supplements that I have taken to help manage my blood sugar and lipids, it's berberine which has proven to me to be the most effective. I have lab tests to prove it. 

Berberine manages sugar and lipids very well and there are no significant or serious side effects. There are several NIH publication regarding its use...most very promising. The FDA is considering a formulation using berberine as a glucose/lipid controlling drug. Research has been in the works for quite some time.

@SilleeMee  Thrilled to hear from you on this thread, since you are not only thoughtful but have a science/chemist background!

Off to check out available berberine supplements . . .

Respected Contributor

I just reordered 777-026 from HSN (Lessman's White Mulberry Leaf Extract with Cinnamon) and went through TopCashBack for a THIRTY percent rebate.  The 360 count is on sale for $119 and the rebate will be around $36.00.

Honored Contributor

@1Professor wrote:

@SilleeMee wrote:

@SilleeMee  Thrilled to hear from you on this thread, since you are not only thoughtful but have a science/chemist background!

Off to check out available berberine supplements . . .

They work @1Professor ! My son takes Berberine and his elevated A1C came down into the 5's. Thank you to @SilleeMee .💕

As a Type 1 diabetic for more than 50+ years, I found cinnamon did zero to lower my blood sugar. My nutritionist showed me studies that I was wasting my money.

If you are eating a plant based diet and whole grains, the whole grains turn to sugar almost as quickly as white flour. Potatoes, beets, beans, peas, sweet potatoes and carrots all raise my blood sugar and until I limited them my triglycerides stayed elevated. Also dairy products can affect triglycerides. When I drastically cut dairy foods, my cholesterol and triglycerides normalized and I got off Lipitor.

Experiment and hopefully with berberine and some tweaks to your diet, you will see a difference. Trial and error...