Esteemed Contributor

If surgical options aren't on right now, please ask for a referral to a Chronic Pain Clinic.  Usually you have to have at least 6 months of other treatment.

People snicker about them but as well as many types of treatment, such as PT and being under direction of a md, they focus on your mind.

Chronic Pain is a mind game.  The nerve paths are out of order.

Honored Contributor

I hope you get some real relief soon.

When I am in pain, mental or physical, I get on Google satellite maps & travel to beautiful places here and all over the world.   It does give me a bit of relief.

Respected Contributor

I take 2 naproxen twice a day and marijuana capsules 

4 times a day along with 2400 mg of gabapentin daily.

I still have pain but it helps. 
And duloxotine 60 mg.

I too saved for retirement and can't do much at all. My husband is my caretaker in many ways.

I am extremely grateful for what I can do--- read, watch 

movies, grandchildren

, take a shower, etc.

Having $ allows those of us who can't do to hire people.

Again, I am so grateful, it took years for me to have acceptance.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 

I have had 2 back surgeries which removed ruptured L-3/L-5/S-1. I bought a Teeter Inversion Table about 2 years ago, when I talked my Cardiologist, into taking me off Blood Pressure meds.  For me it is good for several purposes, including it's primary goal, of elongating the spine. Worth every penny I paid for it.

john

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@IMW wrote:

I take 2 naproxen twice a day and marijuana capsules 

4 times a day along with 2400 mg of gabapentin daily.

I still have pain but it helps. 
And duloxotine 60 mg.

I too saved for retirement and can't do much at all. My husband is my caretaker in many ways.

I am extremely grateful for what I can do--- read, watch 

movies, grandchildren

, take a shower, etc.

Having $ allows those of us who can't do to hire people.

Again, I am so grateful, it took years for me to have acceptance.

Wow, that's a lot of pain meds. Is your Naproxen also a prescription pain med?  If you are able to enjoy your life, isn't that most people's goal as they grow older?

john

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@texassunflower    You started this; are you going to come back and participate in your own thread? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@texassunflower  I also have arthritis everywhere spine...neck....everywhere.....I looked into Chinese herbs and have been taking a few formulas that work quite well.  I have been   taking them for about  8 years.  

You might do some investigating and see if there is a Chinese herbalist you could check out.  I guess you have to be open to something new....since regular medicine is not always the answer. 

Frequent Contributor

I so wish I had a decent answer to your question...but I really don't.  It's a question I often ask myself.  It's difficult, I know.  But here it goes....Try staying as socially active as you can (consider joining some kind of group with interests you may enjoy and be physically able to participate in).  Whatever you can do to stay socially connected.  Nurture your relationship with your sister and any old or new relationships that arise if they bring you joy.  If you're interested in travel and you have the resources, maybe look into a relaxing cruise?  Also, attitude is crazy important.  In relation to chronic pain, try to avoid looking too far down the road of life (that can be depressing).  Set your sights on each new day and making it better than the day before.  If your pain is not being managed effectively, consider seeking other medical/professional opinions.  I wish you well on your journey

Honored Contributor

I've been to pain mgmt doc .... his advice:  physical therapy, lidocaine patches, Tylenol, hot or cold compresses 30 minutes twice a day (whichever temp works better) ... and remainng active.  PT gave me a series of exercises to do each day in addition to twce a week treatment. 

I apparently have a high pain tolerance - so I'm able to work through the pain.  I go out for a walk unless there's a weather issue - I use a rollator walker.  

PT, exercise and remaining active works for me.  

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I've been to pain mgmt doc .... his advice:  physical therapy, lidocaine patches, Tylenol, hot or cold compresses 30 minutes twice a day (whichever temp works better) ... and remainng active.  PT gave me a series of exercises to do each day in addition to twce a week treatment. 

I apparently have a high pain tolerance - so I'm able to work through the pain.  I go out for a walk unless there's a weather issue - I use a rollator walker.  

PT, exercise and remaining active works for me.  

@ALRATIBA   @texassunflower 

I think lidocaine patches can be a godsend.  I've tried three name brands, and came across a generic-type patch at the dollar store, and they work just as well as the name brand patches!   

I've found that putting the patches on at bedtime so they can work all night makes for a very comfortable following day.  Putting them on at bedtime also guarantees less pulling and stretching and they stay exactly where placed.

@texassunflower   

So ...  what are you trying?