Honored Contributor

Chronic Bronchitis/COPD and Dusting Powder

I know this might be a stupid and maybe counter intuitive but here goes.

I have asthma/allergic and a chronic cough.
For most of the Summer I have been using body powder before bed and waking with a cough. I am pretty sure the is a correlation. 

I did not use it last night and my cough is not as bed this morning.

Thoughts -- Comments 

Ideas

thanks 

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Re: Chronic Bronchitis/COPD and Dusting Powder

Have you tried taking turmeric?    

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

Fragrance is a trigger for asthma. If you have reactive lungs with your COPD, you are right, the scented powder could be an issue. I'm really careful to not inhale in the room where I use some hairspray, and I always choose unscented. Fragrances really bother me. 

Honored Contributor

No one should ever use any powders with talc as it is a carcinogen when used in the privates or inhaled. If you like powder as I do - find one that uses cornstarch. I like a product called vagisil powder becaiuse it is unscented and talc free and drug store available. I also have asthma and find it is best to use unscented products as much as possible.

Honored Contributor

I totally agree the bath powder is triggering your asthma and making you cough.   I stopped using baby powder this summer, due to it triggering my husband into coughing episodes.  He didn't used to be this sensitive to fragrance or any type of dust, but just walking into the bedroom and bathroom after I have showered and dusted myself with powder, will set him off with hours of coughing.   

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

there may be some powder clinging to sheets, nightclothes, or on furniture, carpeting, etc.    please check.

too, I find if I use my toner in a spritz bottle and am too close to the spray, it gets inhaled:  not a good thing.  A poster mentioned hair spray and scent:  anything that goes into the air may get into the lungs.

a few years ago I spray painted the metal,posts for the fabric gazebo on the deck.  Even though I had a nose mask on, when I blew my nose later, almond tinted stuff came out. Double mask next time.

good luck.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Just off the wall and something most don't think about, but if you by chance have high blood pressure and use any meds with an ace inhibitor like Lisinopril, Captopril or Ramipril.... these cause chronic coughs.

I also support the poster who said to never use a talc powder, very bad to inhale.... Woman Sad

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

Talc causes lung problems and cancer. Stop using it. Scent is not the problem, it's the irritation caused by the talc particles in the lungs. You could also be allergic to the scent, but that would be a second issue.  

Super Contributor

Another thing to consider, especially this time of yea when people have their lawns treated.  My father died of lung cancer, my brother and I have severe allergies,  another brother has leukemia and lung problems, and my sister was just diagnosed with COPD, so I'm very concerned about this.  

Dad was an avid gardener and grew the most beautiful flowers.  Unfortunately, he used chemicals to keep the insects away and to control weeds.  To this day, I believe his lung problems (mostly from smoking) were exacerbated by the chemicals he used, and my sister married a farmer who used chemicals on the crops.  

If you or a neighbor treats their lawn with chemicals, I'd suggest you close the windows and wait for the chemicals to settle.  I try to be so careful, and yet most of the neighbors chemicals drift into my yard and into my windows.  I constantly have to be watchful for the lawncare guys so I don't start having a coughing fit.

"I always have a chair for you in the smallest parlor in the world, to wit, my heart." --Emily Dickinson