Trusted Contributor

Re: Cholesterol levels going up.

@Trudey-----Speaking with your Doctor is ALWAYS the best thing to do, before changing anything in your med schedule.

One thing people forget is the PHARMACIST, ask their advice also.              I was given advise of ST.JOHN'S WORT to help with hot flashes.    FLASH BULLETIN, there is estrogen in SJW. So, a no-go.     Good Luck-----tedEbear

Honored Contributor

Cholesterol is not a major issue in my family; even the most overweight people do not have high numbers.   I do have 2 cousins on my dads side who inherited high cholesterol from their dad, and both men struggle to keep their numbers within a controlled range, even with medication.   Both keep their weight down, and one is totally obsessed with what he eats.   He lives on whole grain cereal, skim milk, fish, chicken and vegetables, but allows himself to eat a small steak on his birthday.   Even with medication and a rigid diet, this cousin has struggled with his cholesterol for over 25 years.   

Honored Contributor

@Trudey

Congratulations for your 50+lb weight loss!!

Even though weight loss is important w/ heart health,

thin doesn't necessarily mean healthy.

1. Remove trans fats

2. Remove saturated fats

3. Remove dietary cholesterol

Translation:

No processed foods, no oil, no nuts, no meat/eggs/dairy.

Add tons of leafy greens, oats, beans

Here's a link to a lecture from Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn.

http://youtu.be/m8yikz5bOEQ

He's a plant based doctor who ran the Cleveland Clinic for many yrs.  It's a lengthy lecture, but has tons of good info.  Many doctors will scoff at diet being the solution, but it wouldn't hurt to try, yes?  

My information...and this lecture...just provides a balanced viewpoint to the conversation.  You have the right to be educated!  HTH! 

Honored Contributor

My doctor threatened to put me on statins over a year ago when my cholesterol got high and I refused because I was told well, first I had to be on another medication, and then they could give me the statin and I was like, um, no.  Never been on meds in my life.  Not starting a parade of them now.    

Instead, I did OTC Red Yeast Rice.  I used NOW and Jarrow Brand both with CoQ10 included in them from Amazon.  My cholesterol completely dropped back down and I am now off of them and eating much better.  They are worth a try in my opinion if you are looking to go natural.  Big thumbs up.  

Honored Contributor

My "bad " fats dropped about 30 points each and my "good" fats entered the normal range and have stayed there, while eating lots of leafy greens, low carb fruits, 1/2-2/3 cup of nuts, and six egg whites, one whole egg several days a week.

I also lost 85 pounds.

I had powerful incentive- the desire to be the healthiest grandma I could be at my age and the desire to help myself keep from becoming diabetic and hypertensive, since I was already "pre" both.

My a1c is now consistently about 5.6, standing BP 100/60, all blood tests in the normal range.

I never feel deprived, I feel "alived".

I take Red Yeast Rice with added phytosterols and CoQ10 every day, also krill oil and a standard fish oil capsule.

Presently feeling MUCH younger than I felt 20 years ago.

OUR BODIES ARE NOT ALL ALIKE!

Contributor

Generally inherited high cholesterol numbers are 300+ and you definitely need a statin to lower them, diet will not have any real effect.

Respected Contributor

Plant sterols,  (flax seeds and chia) smoothies twice a day and walking work.  We can't take statins.

Honored Contributor

@esmeraldagooch wrote:

Plant sterols,  (flax seeds and chia) smoothies twice a day and walking work.  We can't take statins.

Yes, while i already said I take my plant sterols in pill form, my hubby does eat a lot of flax and chia seeds.

Respected Contributor

@globegrl wrote:

Generally inherited high cholesterol numbers are 300+ and you definitely need a statin to lower them, diet will not have any real effect.

Not sure where you got your information, but my high cholesterol is definitely inherited and I was never in the 300's.  After carrying extra pounds during menopause, I lost 50 lbs and my cholesterol was so low my doctor was in shock.  She quizzed me thoroughly to make sure this wasn't a medical issue.  I've noticed as long as my weight is in check, my level stays decent. And, my meds are at a lower dosage.  While I appreciate all the info on supplements, I won't waste my time on those.  Seems like there is a negative report on those weekly. 

Esteemed Contributor

I have always had high cholesterol but when I got mine back it was said the good thing is my good cholestrol is also high. Don't know what that means exactly.