Honored Contributor

Re: Cholesterol Meds --- To take or not to take -- that is the BIG question!

@mousiegirl,

Sounds like you and your DH are doing good! I hope your doctor's visit goes well and your numbers come back gleaming! Please do come back and let us know how that berberine is working out. I'm sure there are others on this forum that would value your input!Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

Since 2004 I take OTC plant sterol products from Puritans Pride, keeps my numbers under 200.

Honored Contributor

angel puppy—- I developed Achilles’ tendon tumors on both of my ankles due to taking Crestor back in 2005. Had surgery to remove them as my dr or I never thought about checking into my meds and their possible side effects. It’s very possible that had I stopped taking Crestor, surgery could have been avoided. Research very carefully before you decide to take any statin.

Esteemed Contributor

Cannot take Lipitor or anything like it.  Major problems with joints especially hands.  

Honored Contributor

I did some more research and as of now I have decided that I am not going to take the statins.  I am too fearful of this issue with tendon problems.  I also have read quite a bit about other bad side affects of these meds and I don't think I am prepared for this.  I do take fish oils and I am going to try and buckle down more on my diet.  If I get to where I am having heart issues, etc., then I will re-think. 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I think for those who have high cholesterol - cholesterol lowering drugs are important. Despite the bad side effects. My DH has high cholesterol, has already had a mini stroke due to a clot and needs and takes his statin. However, he has grown noticeably weak which is a side effect.

However, that said, I don't agree with giving these drugs , which do seem to have bad side effects for most who take them,to people whose cholesterol is normal, as a profalactic against getting high cholesterol. I see money grab all over this.

Honored Contributor

I have taken most of the statins out there and have trouble with all of them and their side effects. I have family high cholesterol---my numbers are not outrageous; always within  30 points of normal, however I do also have a family high HDL (good cholesterol) so that is on my side. The one drug  that really helped was taking Niaspan (rx niacin)-- that did amazing things for my numbers. I stopped that, due to being dx with breast cancer in 2012 and haven't been taking any statin since. Right now I am in the midst of fighting with my ins company to pay for a drug called Repatha that is an injection and targets the LDL (bad cholesterol). My docs have highly recommended it as something for very sensitive- to- statins, patients. But it's very $$$---about $16,000 a year. yikes!!!! We'll see!!!