Honored Contributor

Re: Cholesterol Meds --- To take or not to take -- that is the BIG question!

My Dh has been in lipator for years with no bad side effects

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A few years ago I was prescribed a statin for my high LDL. So I took it without any side effects...I thought. Then the following year my A1C went upWoman Mad and my doc told me that could be a side effect from that statin. So then I had to watch my diet to make sure I wasn't going into diabetes.Woman Mad I had enough of that so I did a little reading and found berberine. Thank the heavens above! That took care of both HDL and A1C. NO more Rxs for me. YAY!!  No side effects either. I'm happy as can be and my lab results can prove it...just this week my numbers were ALL normal and my doc was impressed to say the least.

Frequent Contributor

I would discuss any concerns with your Dr . I've been taking atorvastatin for 2 yrs without any problems.Family history of heart attack & stroke, I tried for 15 yrs with diet & exercise and never got my numbers under 200. 

Respected Contributor

I've been taking 20mg of  generic Lipitor for about a year and a half.  My readings were borderline but because I'm a type 2 diabetic my PCP recommended it. She said all their diabetic patients take it.  After 3 months my readings were normal.  No problems taking it - I'm thrilled with the results.  

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1   I take Zocor, actually the generic version, Simvastatin 40mg daily and have no problems at all.  

Respected Contributor

Crestor took control of my legs where I found I could not climb the stairs

Honored Contributor

All I can say is do your homework.  I have and because of it, I refuse to take any statins.

Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I am just writing to see what your experiences are with any of these meds.  Good or bad.  I have been struggling to get my readings down without meds and am not doingt well.  There are a ton of heart problems, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol issues in my genetics.  I have an upcoming doctor appointment coming up and I just know that I can't go any more without addressing this issue. 

I have heard that cholesterol drugs can cause tendon issues.  I have suffered with a tendon issue in my ankle for years and am fearful that these meds will cause me more issues --- more serious issues - with this. 

I read things on line and they say there is no proof really that these meds cause tendon issues, etc. 

However, I have to do something about my cholesteerol.  I am really worried about this!

Thanks!!!!

@AngelPuppy1  Andrew Lessman make Choconuvo, little squares that one takes daily, tastes just like chocolate, 26 calories each, and it is supposed to bring cholesterol down, someone posted that hers went down 37 taking two a day, so if one takes more, four a day, should lower it more.  More info on his site or HSN.

Respected Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

All I can say is do your homework.  I have and because of it, I refuse to take any statins.

@JeanLouiseFinch

Are you going to tell us what your findings were OR are you going to make us work for it??????????  

Honored Contributor

There is a study from Denmark. about the side effects of statins . I don't know if it is still online, but I used it to research what it did to some people, when I had a bad situation brought on by this drug