Honored Contributor

Re: Cholesterol Meds - Side Affects

@blackhole99 wrote:

I have been taking a statin for 18 years without side effects or any ill effects to my kidney, liver, etc. If you are having side effects, I would ask the doc to try another statin until you find one that works for you.

@blackhole99 

Thank you.  You are fortunate that you have no issues with them.  My sister takes one and she has no problems.  My mother used to take them and she had no issues either.  I am in severe pain as I write this.  It is too much to put up with.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@twinkies wrote:

Cholesterol drugs can cause long term bad effects such as muscle weakness and inability to walk . You need to take Co Q10 with these statins as our bodies do not manufacture Co Q10 as we age . All muscles require Co q 10 to make energy . And the heart is a muscle . Statins suck even more Co q 10 from the body . Take a supplement. 

cathy from ma

@twinkies 

I have taken CoQ10 for years.  Thanks for your post!!!  

Honored Contributor

@LoveMyBaby wrote:

Been on a couple, last one doc prescribed Lipitor (insurance covered the generic-which is Atorvastatin,) but had muscle aches with it, and had to get off it.

@LoveMyBaby 

Are you on any other statin?  Thanks for your post!!!  

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA wrote:

I was perfectly healthy ... then ...

Back about 2006 or so, I took Lipitor for 8 months .... it got to the point I could barely lift my leg to go up stairs.  My legs felt like they were made of lead.

I got optical migraines and vertigo.   Developed tinnitus.   I happened to see one of those drug commercials on TV where they listed all the side effects and realized it was the pills ... I dumped them in the toilet and emailed the doctor and told her I wasn't taking them anymore.

I subsequently learned that it's not the cholesterol numbers but rather the ratio between the "good" and "bad" cholesterol numbers.  

One of my cousins had the same issues, and the wife of a former co-worker ended up in a wheel chair and needed PT to walk again.

Google some recent medical journal articles ... lots of recent into out there.

Those pills are killers.

@ALRATIBA 

So sorry for all your problems with the meds.  I hope you are fine.  Do you take anything for your cholestero now.  I am very concerned about this and am trying to figure out what to do.  I do not want to take them any more but don't want to have a stroke or heart attack either.  Thanks for your post.  

Honored Contributor

@keithsmom65 wrote:

I take Lipitor as well. To avoid all of the muscle and joint pain, my doctor has me take one pill every OTHER day. It works beautifully for me.  I never experience any pain at all.

@keithsmom65 

I never heard of doing this.  Wonder if this would work for me.  I will ask my doctor.  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@trenet wrote:

I have been taking Crestor for about 25 years with, seemingly, no problems.  

@trenet 

Thanks.  That is great.  I wish I could say the same!!

Honored Contributor

I wanted to thank all who replied and gave their experiences and suggestions!  I certainly appreciate it,

I did call my doctor's office and their suggestion was to stop taking the Lipitor for a week and begin taking CoQ10.  I told her that I always take CoQ10 so she said, fine and continue that.  She said after a week, begin taking the Lipitor again and see how it goes. She said a lot of times this will work and cause the pain to stop.  She said call them after I have resumed taking them again.  I don't know if I want to resume taking them>?  I am torn about this.  

Thanks everyone!!!  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngelPuppy1   When my calf muscle split I was 223 pounds. I lost weight and exercise watch what I eat and now I am 135 pounds and off all cholesterol meds. I hope I never have to go back because for me statins do not agree with my body. 

If you start feeling any pain in your legs at all call your doctor. Reading these replies it shows how not all people experience the same thing. It won’t hurt to try it. Just listen to your body. Good luck to you. ✌️❤️

Trusted Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

@LoveMyBaby wrote:

Been on a couple, last one doc prescribed Lipitor (insurance covered the generic-which is Atorvastatin,) but had muscle aches with it, and had to get off it.

@LoveMyBaby 

Are you on any other statin?  Thanks for your post!!!  

Hi @AngelPuppy1 

No, I took a break from them. That kind of scared me off as I wondered what else it could be doing to my body BUT I have to have the numbers run again and will go on something if needed. Beats the alternative of heart attack or stroke. I now know what sets my LDL surging into the wrong path (trans/saturated fats in dairy, cheeses and sweets). I try (and love, and believe in) plant-based approach to eating but I'm not disciplined enough to cut all the bad out completely, i.e. pizza, snacks, and bread. This I know. My father was thin, ate relatively disciplined and had a high LDL number, so a bit of news flash there but it's totally my diet and lack of significant consistent aerobic-type exercise. 

Good luck. I was on one-can't recall name ( generic ) a few years ago and had no bad side effects. I'll probably go back on that if needed. 

⚓️
Honored Contributor

@SilleeMee wrote:

I was prescribed Lovastatin when my LDL was high. At first I had constipation then that went away but it caused my A1C to go up to a pre-diabetic range. I'm no longer taking that drug. I have successfully achieved normal levels of cholesterol and A1C through diet, exercise and taking the supplement berberine. It's the berberine that has really made a difference for me. I'm 63 and all of my numbers are normal. I am Rx-drug-free and I am very grateful for that.

NIH publication:  

"Berberine--a novel approach to cholesterol lowering"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15926873

@SilleeMee, the link you gave leads to a mostly empty page, but there are what appears to be some useful links on the right side of the page.

OP, my experience was that Crestor gave me terrible muscle aches.  Since I knew that statins can cause muscle loss, and I have spent a lot of time building those muscles up I was highly concerned about that an the fact that it just made me feel like a 90 year old woman.  I went off for a year, but my levels went up again.  So, next we tried a generic Simvastatin and that seems to work for me.  I do hate being on it, but I also feel no matter what I do at this point to lower it the doctor will just ascribe any benefit to the medicine and won't let me off.